What's new

Root Beer

However, the mods ...ahem... "bestow" certain members with a custom title, usually taken from or in response to a post that person made. As you can see from mine, they particularly like strange or wacky things that look even stranger/funnier out of context.

Something like this. :lol: :lol: :lol:

...there is a party in my mouth and everyone is invited, lol.

Just yanking your chain a little. It does read like the type of thing that they love to jump on though.:lol:

Would Bi-Lo/Publix have it, or would I need to get more gourmet, like Fresh Market/Whole Foods? What about World Market?

This might actually be right up my alley. Home brewing is something I've longed to do just for the experience, but I don't actually drink enough to constitute having that much beer on-hand all the time (gotta make time for my other indulgences..). But with root beer, my daughter would be helping drink it so we could probably consume enough to keep a fresh rotation. Plus it would be fun for us to do together.

It uses all the same equipment to brew? Does it also take 5-6 weeks for the complete process?
Nope. I've never done it, but it is only supposed to take a couple of days. Remember you want carbonated root beer, not fermented root beer.

Yeah the draft they have on tap at A&W is pretty good stuff. I have one down the street from me that's one of those old drive-in style restaurants and I always make sure to buy myself a half-gallon jug of the stuff when I'm down there.

+1 on A&W. I grew up on that. Used to be you could get a quart of it in one of those wax coated square paper bottles. Stuff was excellent in 115 degree heat in the summer. I've tried Virgil's and that is really good too. I've also tried Hanson's but it's just not the same. Dad's and Barq's were good when I was a kid. Don't know what they're like now though. When it gets hotter here in Phoenix, I'm heading over to A&W and get a nice frosty mug of root beer. Oh boy. Frostie's, now there's another brand I always liked.

A&W Root Beer is my favorite too. I love it in an ice-chilled frosted mug :tongue_sm

Thanks Dennis, it actually sounds very inviting.

Cheers

I probably haven't drunk root beer in almost 20 years. I think it is almost an acquired taste and always seem to find root beer in oriental grocery stores for some reason and never in supermarkets or traditional delis.

Saint Arnolds is a Houston micro-brewery. They make a root beer that is just amazing. It is better than 99% of the other root beer brands I've tried and has real cane sugar in it.

Saint Arnolds is a Houston micro-brewery. They make a root beer that is just amazing. It is better than 99% of the other root beer brands I've tried and has real cane sugar in it.

Anything with real cane sugar is amazing. Have you tried Jone's line of sodas? They're great.

Personally, I like Hires root beer, inside the resturant. After that A&W. And, after that Ramblin Root Beer. I don't think they really make that any more though.

I grew up in the Chicagoland area on Dogs N Suds rootbeer, but over a decade ago all of the Dogs N Suds driveins disappeared. Fortunately a band member found a distributor in Broadview that sells it in 1 liter bottles. Man I will tell you nothing like pouring a cold Dogs N Suds rootbeer over some vanilla bean ice cream...

I've never had a root beer so smooth and creamy as A&W draft at the restaurant. My friends and I would go just for the root beer. Unfortunately the local A&W was washed away by the record flooding here last summer. The owner is looking to see if the neighborhood returns before deciding whether to reopen or not. :frown:

Pictures of the flood

The A&W

I had some great rootbeer in Idaho Springs, Colorado this past summer. Tommyknockers is the brand. We went to the brewery/resturant. Great stuff.

DL

Would Bi-Lo/Publix have it, or would I need to get more gourmet, like Fresh Market/Whole Foods? What about World Market?

This might actually be right up my alley. Home brewing is something I've longed to do just for the experience, but I don't actually drink enough to constitute having that much beer on-hand all the time (gotta make time for my other indulgences..). But with root beer, my daughter would be helping drink it so we could probably consume enough to keep a fresh rotation. Plus it would be fun for us to do together.

It uses all the same equipment to brew? Does it also take 5-6 weeks for the complete process?

World Market had a very nice selection of Root Beer, including a tasty one in a mini-keg. Unfortunately, all the World Market stores around here have closed. I believe they're all gone now. :frown:

Excuse my ignorance (i come from a far away place)but, what exactly is root beer and what does it taste like. Now I know I'm sitting on the Internet so I did a quick Wiki search and it says it's made from sassafras and is really only known in North America. Ok so what does sassafras taste like and is the root beer you guys are talking about have alcohol?

Cheers,

Adam

People either love the root beer or hate it. There is no middle. I can't even smell the root beer. It closely reassembles a smell of... hmmm, if you know a smell of a dark-blue Vicks 'over the counter' medical cream sold in small glass jars. That's it; Vicks.

I am a big root beer fan my favs would have to be saranac root beer, there is a restaurant in NY called tom whals that make there own its amazing, Jones soda root beer and then A&W is good also walmarts brand Samsclub root beer is good

I grew up in the Chicagoland area on Dogs N Suds rootbeer, but over a decade ago all of the Dogs N Suds driveins disappeared. Fortunately a band member found a distributor in Broadview that sells it in 1 liter bottles. Man I will tell you nothing like pouring a cold Dogs N Suds rootbeer over some vanilla bean ice cream...

Arf 'n Barf!! :w00t: I haven't even THOUGHT about Dog 'n Suds for a couple decades! That was some root beer, for sure. (And a great place to rip off mugs...:rolleyes:)

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Arf 'n Barf!! :w00t: I haven't even THOUGHT about Dog 'n Suds for a couple decades! That was some root beer, for sure. (And a great place to rip off mugs...:rolleyes:)

That is an old one. I don't think we ever had one here in Green Bay. We had to go clean down to Fond Du Lac to find one.

Unfortunately we don't have much of a selection around here. This is pretty much it:

Henry Weinhard... it's OK, too bad it's made with HFCS.

Thomas Kemper.... made with cane sugar. Good flavor, but lacks bite.

Virgil's.... Also made with unbleached cane sugar. It's tasty and has more bite than TK.

Last edited:
Top Bottom