What's new

The Mojito -- B&B Classic Cocktails

Welcome to the next installment of B&B Classic Cocktails!

What better way to celebrate a rollback in travel restrictions than with a Cuban mojito? Erm.... Well, okay. I needed a reason to do what would normally be a "summer" drink and I'm stretching quite a bit. But whatever. They're delicious, sweet, and easy to make. I guess I don't really need an excuse. :tongue:

First, gather your supplies. You'll need sweetner, either superfine granulated or powdered sugar, or you could go with syrup. Since you'll be muddling however, I like to use undissolved sugar in my mojitos. It feels more authentic. That said, I find powdered (confectioner's) sugar dissolves better and gives you an initial sweetness that quickly dissipates and overwhelm the rum or the citrus. You'll need a lime or two. You'll need fresh mint. And you'll need soda.

full

Juice your limes. You'll notice I'm using a tumbler rather than a true highball glass, which is usually skinner. I squeezed enough to get almost 2oz of lime juice, but if you've got the proper glassware, you'll probably want to adjust your volumes accordingly. To cut to the chase, you'll need about 1:1 lime to rum.

full

full

I picked up this awesome tiny Oxo metal measuring cup the other day. Its got graduations on the inside, and is perfect for mixing drinks. I usually just use shot glasses, but I think I'm going to buy a few more of these babies. Great product.

Now drop a heaping tablespoon (or the syrupy equivalent, if you're so inclined) of sugar into your glass. Maybe forget the "heaping" part if you're using a proper skinny highball glass.

full

Now pull out a nice spring of mint and pluck the leaves, dropping them each into the pile-o-sugar.

full

And pour in your lime juice:

full

And give it a good muddle. You don't want to bruise the hell out of the mint leaves, but you do want to release the flavor and dissolve all the sugar. Avoid grinding against the bottom of the glass, just press and twist about a quarter turn, repeatedly.

full

And when its all said and done, here's what you'll have

full

Now the easy part. Fill your glass with ice:

full

Measure (2oz in this example) and pour in your white rum. I like the 10-cane, but I'm not super picky about light rums, certainly not as much as I am about dark rums.

full

full

And top off with an ounce or two of soda water to add a bit of fizz.

full

Give it a little stir, and garnish with a lime wedge, and here's what you'll have

full

(serving suggestion :tongue:)

And there you have it. A delicious Mojito, perhaps a little early in the year, but because I know you're all going to pick up some fresh mint this week, it'll be something you can mix up before the big day (hint hint). :blush:

Cheers!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Some variations that I use.

When I can, I snag some Lyle's Golden Syrup which is basically sugar cane syrup and use that instead of the sugar. Outstanding.

I also use some dark rum to give it a bit of color.

Some variations that I use.

When I can, I snag some Lyle's Golden Syrup which is basically sugar cane syrup and use that instead of the sugar. Outstanding.

I also use some dark rum to give it a bit of color.

Both fine ideas. What sort of dark rum do you use? I have, on occasion, added a splash of Myers'.

Beautiful write-up as always, Pat. The best mojitos I've had were made with piloncillo, a brown cone-shaped sugar (typically from Mexico, and readily available at most any hispanic grocery/mercado). The perfect after-lawn mowing drink!

Great writeup and photo instructions! I love these for South Texas summers.

My method is close to yours . . . I use evaporated cane syrup sugar, and muddle the mint with it alone, then add the lime juice and muddle some more. Just habit, really, although I tend to think muddling the mint against the sugar granules tends to release more of its minty goodness. :biggrin:

Flor de Cana makes a white rum, but their Flor de Cana Gold, at about $22 for 1.75 liters, adds a bit of flavor and is a wonderful mojito rum. For something completely different, however, try it with Ron Matusalem Espiritu de Cuba rum . . . oh, man. Heaven in a glass.

NANP™

Boy am I happy i'm a drunk and not an alcoholic(I'd have to go those meetings!). I do believe i'll be martini at night and mojito during the sunlit hours!

marty

I muddle half a lime into mine, cut into 1/8th wedges. I find the oil from the zest adds great flavour and even the pith itself adds a nice mild bitterness.
Just make sure your lime is nice and clean and preferably un/de-waxed.

A terrible method that is all too popular in many bars that I've been, is putting lime wedges, mint and sugar in a pint glass, filling with ice, and pile-driving the muddler for a minute or two to crush the ice. Now, I like crushed ice AND spent lime hulls in my mojito, but this pulvarizing the mint and ice just doesn't work.

First, that's a very inefficeint methods of juicing the limes (not much juice is released), next the mint is shredded into tiny bits that end up stuck in your teeth, and third, the preparation is too time consuming, barbaric and very unprofessional-looking.

And, NEVER order a Mojito after the sun goes down...

Last edited:
A terrible method that is all too popular in many bars that I've been, is putting lime wedges, mint and sugar in a pint glass, filling with ice, and pile-driving the muddler for a minute or two to crush the ice. Now, I like crushed ice AND spent lime hulls in my mojito, but this pulvarizing the mint and ice just doesn't work.

First, that's a very inefficeint methods of juicing the limes (not much juice is released), next the mint is shredded into tiny bits that end up stuck in your teeth, and third, the preparation is too time consuming, barbaric and very unprofessional-looking.

Heh. A shortcut I've seen is to replace the sugar and lime juice with premade sour mix.:eek:

Heh. A shortcut I've seen is to replace the sugar and lime juice with premade sour mix.:eek:

I ordered a whiskey sour the other day and was told that they had just ran out of sour mix, so they couldn't make one. All the while she had bottles of lemon and simple in her speed rail. Ugh.:frown:

The wide and I had some tonight, good stuff. I went with 2oz rum, 1oz lime juice and 1oz simple syrup with just a sprinkle of granulated sugar to help with the muddling.

A

Really? I spent a great night in South Beach, Miami, one time. Streetside table, cigars, flirty waitress, and lots of mojitos. We finished around 3 AM. It was great fun!

Tim

Top Bottom