What's new

A newbie's progress

So, I'm almost a month into exclusively straight shaving, and the last week has seen some breakthroughs.

The big thing that's changed for me was picking up a second razor. My first was a 6/8 George Wostenholm wedge. The second a 5/8 Torrey hollow. Shaving with the second razor made me more aware of my technique. Also, the hollow provides much more auditory feedback than the wedge. I ended up with back-to-back CCS with the Torrey.

The best part is that those shaves gave me more information about how best to address some of the contours of my face, so I've just had one of the closest shaves yet with the Wostenholm.

I don't see myself turning into a runaway collector -- at least not for the time being -- but getting the 2nd razor really was a big deal. Noticing the differences between the two have improved my technique with both.

So, other newbies, if you're on the fence about getting a 2nd razor: go for it. Don't wait 'til you've "mastered" the first. Just do it.

So, I'm almost a month into exclusively straight shaving, and the last week has seen some breakthroughs.

The big thing that's changed for me was picking up a second razor. My first was a 6/8 George Wostenholm wedge. The second a 5/8 Torrey hollow. Shaving with the second razor made me more aware of my technique. Also, the hollow provides much more auditory feedback than the wedge. I ended up with back-to-back CCS with the Torrey.

The best part is that those shaves gave me more information about how best to address some of the contours of my face, so I've just had one of the closest shaves yet with the Wostenholm.

I don't see myself turning into a runaway collector -- at least not for the time being -- but getting the 2nd razor really was a big deal. Noticing the differences between the two have improved my technique with both.

So, other newbies, if you're on the fence about getting a 2nd razor: go for it. Don't wait 'til you've "mastered" the first. Just do it.

I started this way...just 2....then 3...at one time 70 :blush:.

I'm already back up to 16 (or is it 20 :lol:).

Different types of blades have shown me deficiencies in my technique many times. Plus it's just plain enjoyable to try something different from time to time.

May sound silly but having my razor honed by a real honemeister was what made a huge difference for me. The frst couple razors I bought were shave ready in someone's opinion but I could not do an against the grain pass to save anyone's life. After getting a few honed by people who were obviously more experinced at their craft it has made a huge difference. My technique still can use some work every now and again but at least now I know it's not the razor

Top Bottom