What's new

Thanks but I prefer to do it myself

Having already ruined one cheap and one good brush by not having a proper place to dry them, I went shopping. There is one (and only one) place in town that shall remain nameless to protect the greedy. They carry Art of Shaving stuff and I found a combination razor (mach 3 ***)/brush/bowl/stand for a mere seven hundred and fifty dollars! So I went on line and found this on Fendrihan's:

http://www.fendrihan.com/wood-base-stand-shaving-brush-safety-razor-chrome-p-122.html

43 dollars!?! And what are you supposed to do? Use and clean the little wooden ridge for drips?

So, I found a drip/soap bowl:

http://www.fendrihan.com/nickel-plated-bowl-shaving-soap-p-83.html

25 more dollars . . . at least it's nickel plated.

A couple of days later, I was in the local dollar store, picking up some of the plastic scrubbies that the Sigfem likes for dishes and ran across these little stainless steel bowls with handles that were marketed as "egg frying pans".

A whole $5.25 later, I owned ten of them. I knew I would use up a few playing with concepts and that the rejects would be good for holding parts when working in the garage.

A quick visit to the steel scrap yard yielded two thicknesses each of aluminum (for proof of concept) and stainless steel rod and six discard stubs of pipe for mandrels. When I went to pay, the yard guy looked at me like I was retarded, then said "uh, yeah, sure, how does a dollar sound?"

So I got out my hammers and wound up with this: (the soap is for scale and is a fresh Col Conk Bay Rum) A buddy of mine says he'll chrome dip it next week.
- John

Last edited:
while it appears simple, you have done some impressive bending to get that holder like that with such smooth lines and no unwanted bends. Have you used solder to close off the tag end and reinforce where it overlaps? Great work and do post up the finished product when chromed.

:drool:

Can't say I blame you. It's so pretty and shiny! But $65 Canadian?!?! :eek:

I know! I'm basically hoping I can get it as a gift at some point. I can justify by saying it is pewter, so it will last, plus i can hand it down to my kids one day. They can have daddy's old shaving supplies.

How did you wreck your good brush?
You don't need a stand. Just flick the excess water out into the sink or tub and put the brush on the counter.

I know! I'm basically hoping I can get it as a gift at some point. I can justify by saying it is pewter, so it will last, plus i can hand it down to my kids one day. They can have daddy's old shaving supplies.

Oh I'm sure that will go over well. I can see it now:

"Hey honey can you get me this for Christmas?"

"But it is so expensive!"

"I'll pass it on to our children when they come of age. I promise! Pretty please."

"No!"

"I'll... I'll do anything..."

"Anything?"

Josh thinks Crap, I walked right into that!

What a saint! :wink:

Is that outstanding brush and bowl holder sitting atop a loom? :smile:

You're good. It's a 36" LeClerc Nilus that the SigFem uses.

while it appears simple, you have done some impressive bending to get that holder like that with such smooth lines and no unwanted bends. Have you used solder to close off the tag end and reinforce where it overlaps? Great work and do post up the finished product when chromed.

No joins of any kind. I wrapped the end that becomes the brush stand around the back for a modicum of rigidity.

How is this for an expensive bowl:

http://www.fendrihan.com/pewter-bowl-handheld-shaving-soap-p-121.html

it is pewter however. I'm not going to lie...i kinda want one.

I won't lie. It *is* pretty. And yes, it would be a very nice gift to you :biggrin:

Oh I'm sure that will go over well. I can see it now:

"Hey honey can you get me this for Christmas?"

"But it is so expensive!"

"I'll pass it on to our children when they come of age. I promise! Pretty please."

"No!"

"I'll... I'll do anything..."

"Anything?"

Josh thinks Crap, I walked right into that!

What a saint! :wink:

As if I wouldn't do anything for her anyways.:em2200:

But seriously, that would be a funny conversation. Hopefully I don't get tricked into buying overpriced shoes. If that is the case I might as well buy the dish myself!

I won't lie. It *is* pretty. And yes, it would be a very nice gift to you :biggrin:

I'm glad you agree! Thanks for the enabling talk haha. I'll let her know that the B&B has unanimously decided that she should buy that, along with various other shaving supplies and other manly gifts for the upcoming anniversary ha ha.

I'm glad you agree! Thanks for the enabling talk haha. I'll let her know that the B&B has unanimously decided that she should buy that, along with various other shaving supplies and other manly gifts for the upcoming anniversary ha ha.

That's the basic MO of B&B isn't it? Enabling those who need no help in being enabled? :biggrin:

Top Bottom