What's new

Grey hair

I do not know if this is the place for this but if it is not I apologize.

just want to know about those of us who have grey hair, for me it is a heredity thing and I had it since I was 22 or so never bothered me on the contrary it was a nice thing to have a couple here and there :001_smile but after passing the 40 years land mark things went real snowy ;) a bit more salt than pepper if you get what I mean. I used to dye my hair but that made things worse I think the ammonia in those products is a killer.
I am currently using Grecian formula and it is keeping the pepper part more than the salt and things are good, now my question, are there any other products out there, apart from a total hair coloring, that can make the roof ;) a tad more darker? my original hair color falls in the light brown to dark blond range, now it is in the light brown range.

what do you think gentlemen ?

H

Hanzo

I started going gray at 21 or 22 as well. At that age strangers would question me and want to look closely at my hair and marvel a bit that such a youngster was going gray.

I am 43 and I have quite a lot of gray. My wife says dye it, I always say no. First , its natural and I am very indifferent about it. It doesn't have any significance for me, gray doesn't mean old age , character, wisdom or anything its just hair or in my case thinning hair. Too I must admit I am lazy about a complicated grooming regimen and upkeep. This is just my perspective about something we have in common , hope you get good leads on dyeing.

The two options that you mentioned are the ones that I'm aware of. You could always shave your head or go with a very close crop.

I have an uncle who went gray in his mid-20's -- he shaved his head. My female friends who have gone gray in their 30's or 40's face much more social pressure :-(

I started going grey at 19. By the time I was 30 all of my hair was salt and pepper and at 35 it was not grey but white. It was very bothersome at the time because I looked quite a lot older than I was; however, that was not nearly as bothersome as the work it would have taken to dye it or treat it as my hair did and still does grow very fast. I let it be. Today it is still white but still just as thick as it was at 19. Besides if it makes you look older just remember that all of your "young looking" friends will start to look more like you every day. You, on the other hand, will look like lyou haven't aged abit. Believe me, it happens to me everyday. Let it be and quite worrying about it.:smile:

I started to go gray when I got married. Then it accelerated when we had a kid. I don't mind the gray hair on my head, but I have one long gray hair in my beard that really bugs me.

Imho, if you do decide to color or reduce, you'll want to get it done professionally at least the first several times. Home jobs can be rather obvious (ie: not natural looking) on guys especially. Professional consulation will also help to avoid the "guy tendency" (my sister's term) to dye too darkly.

I've been going grey since I was ~26y/o (36 y/o now).

My older brother is worse (age for age that is). It's one of the reasons why I don't have any facial hair now, as it seems worse there than on my head. So it's one of the reasons why I'm here I guess, as I do a complete shave on my face instead of just my neck with a quick scrape.

It doesn't bother me a lot really, it could be worse. Better to have a full head of grey hair than be losing it and going bald.
It's genetic for me, all of us go grey early, but none of us go bald.

edit: Also despite me having a fair few white hairs, (mainly on the temple and a lot on the sides, occasionally the eyebrows), most people are surprised when I tell them my age, they all think I'm younger even with an odd few white hairs. People who know me well always notice how 'grey' I'm going, but strangers don't notice and think I'm younger than 36 y/o. :confused:

edit: I do keep my hair cut very short with clippers though.

Last edited:
I started getting grey hair in high school (around 17) and I have quite a bit up there now (at 27). I told my wife yesterday that, should I ever get the notion to dye it, she has permission to smack me. I had major back surgery in high school and I have scars left over from that on my back & side, and I've never considered having them removed, so hair coloring is the least of my worries.

It's interesting to see more guys with the same issue. I thought I was an outlier.

And what is wrong with looking like a Badger?
When my late father went gray, he went slate-gray, the same colour as I am now, as did one of his brothers (They were 3).
The third brother, who emigrated to Toronto at the end of WWII (he married a Newfie) had a splendid head of silver-gray hair.
Could this be something in the water - or is there a hairdresser in Toronto skilled in turning dull slate into silver?

Cordially, AvT.

Last edited:
I shave my head but my moustache is turning white. I tried Just for men but it got too dark and product needed too many repeats applications; I also worried about ingestion since application is too close to the mouth.I don't mind grey, salt & pepper but white in a moustache?
Please, don't suggest shaving it.

I only have a few greys on my head but my beard (if grown out) has lots of grey which started showing up in my late 20's.

As for my head, well there's just not much hair left anyway.....:frown:

Top Bottom