What's new

First wet shave problems

I had my first DE shave last night after switching from electric and after all my research and words of encouragement from you good folks on B&B I was really looking forward to it. However, I'm left a bit disappointed and disheartened. I'm using a Merkur HD, Derby Blades, TOBS Rose cream, and medium best badger. Since this was my first ever wet shave after years of only electric I was concerned about skin irritation and the like so approached the shave slowly and carefully. I had a few days growth and wasn't going for BBS and didn't expect anything near it. I applied my lather and started slowly and only did one pass WTG. In fact I was so slow that the lather seemed to be drying on my face! Is this normal? The whole thing took me about 45 mins and after I'd finished applied witch hazel and nivea sensitive ASB. The result? I had very patchy stubble which made me think that all the effort wasn't worth it! I didn't really get any irritation which was a plus, but my cheeks feel quite dry today. I also look like I've got two days growth when compared to what I got with my electric. I know that this was my first DE shave and people will tell me that I was expecting too much, particularly with only doing one pass WTG but as I said I'm worried about skin irritation.
Can anybody offer any advice as to what I may be doing wrong? Also how long should I leave it before shaving again (bearing in mind my paranoia about skin irritation) and also when should I introduce another pass?
Many thanks for your help.

45 minutes seems like a very long time to complete one pass. I also wouldn't be hesitant about doing a couple more passes (with a light touch of course). I started off doing three passes and never had a problem. It is possible to be too careful. :smile:

45 minutes for one pass? No wonder it seemed to be drying out! I understand that you're a bit apprehensive, but you shouldn't be moving that slow. Pressure is much more likely to get you cut than speed. Just remember its called a safety razor for a reason. :biggrin:

As for the patchiness, its all about beard reduction not elimination. One pass isn't going to cut it (Well it will cut it, but you know what I mean :wink:). Just throw in a another pass or two.

Please don't be discouraged. I went from electric to DE wetshaving and 5 weeks later I am getting mostly BBS shaves with little or no irritation. It just takes a little time and patience.
I do think your lather drying out is because it took so long for one pass. Don't be afraid to relather the areas that have dried out before shaving them. Also, I think you can easily add a second WTG pass with little or no pressure and still not get any irritation. As you get more confident you can add XTG and finally ATG.
Don't give up. Take your time and enjoy the experience.

Happy shaving!

The idea is stubble reduction which takes multiple passes to get smooth.
first pass get's rid of a lot, 2nd pass gets rid of much more and those that are brave and seek the BBS a third pass against the grain gets absolutely all of it!

No way is one pass going to eliminate your beard. And, don't fear any irritation, I had MUCH more irritation the few times I tried an electric (I had to use pressure and constantly go over the same spot to satisfactorily - is that a word - cut the hair).

This is a question of patience and learning a good technique..45 minutes for a pass is too much, understanding your concern of getting nick or cut.Dont fear the blade,read the tutorials as well as Mantics videos in youtube and go for it with things clear in your mind..you will develop a proper technique in a week if you shave everyday and later you wont even think to go back to electrical.
Light pressure now,good lather and short strokes are the key for you at this time.
Keep trying it and we are here to support you!

i, too, was apprehensive for my first shave. for me, the biggest concern was wanting to make sure that i "did it right." i finally came to the realization that even though the tool that i was now using looks and feels different from what i was used to shaving with, it's still JUST SHAVING!!! once i got over that hurdle, the speed (and learning) got much better.

you've set up a foundation of knowledge by studying the the mantic vids, so you know the proper technique. you'll have the feel down after a couple of shaves.

of course, that's when the real fun begins... who knows how long it will take to perfect the process (don't ask me how i know).

best of luck. don't give up.

You're likely GOING to get cut sooner or later (really most are nicks). It's part of the learning curve. But, you'll get much better at this very quickly and soon you'll be wondering how you cut yourself up.

Thanks for all your help and advice. I think I probably was being a bit too cautious. I'm not about to give up just yet, I'll take your advice on board and let you know how I go!

dont be worried about skin irritation, prep is 75-80% of the shave, try to prep with a good hot shower and kyle's prep that is really pleasant. for the drying lather i had this problem and it's because there was too much water in my lather. remember, DE shaving is a thing of beard reduction with each passes, one pass is not enough to eliminate beard, keep an eye on your blade angle and dont be shy on going faster, merkur HD is a really permissive razor, nicks and cuts are not impossible but hard to do with a 34c. remember to enjoy your shave and speed up a bitm there's a reason to call this thing a SAFETY razor. conclusion, good prep is the key. BTW welcome on B&B
here a link to mantic video on kyle's prep
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwIP9K2VKXY

TOBS Rose cream...
The whole thing took me about 45 mins...

Sounds like you were taking time out to smell the roses...

Anyway, on a more serious note; being a relative new comer I can only repeat what has already been said. Don't be afraid as, after all, it's not called a safety razor for nothing. Worst thing you can do is some minor surface damage.

For a first shave, really not too bad. But you will need to do at least a three pass shave. The first WTG, one XTG, and one ATG. Don't worry, just remember to use a light touch. Like riding a bike, after awhile you won't even think about it. The best thing is that you have a good attitude and want to to it correctly.

Top Bottom