What's new

my ever-ready lather catcher...

I got this from the bay. Only 31 dollars. I dont know why nobody bid for it, but I really dont care:biggrin: Probably cause of all the dirt in the pics.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Now (mind you, this was only a quick polish, it still needs work):

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Next to my gem junior bar:

proxy.php

Can somebody tell me more about this model. All I found is this:

http://www.collectorsencyclopedia.com/dettaglio.asp?IdProd=1428

But the head has a different type of letters and text.
And the case is different.:001_huh:

The case looks like it's taken from this:

http://www.collectorsencyclopedia.com/dettaglio.asp?IdProd=1431

Now that I look at it, the head is the same. Mismatched handles?
The metal handle has a hole at the bottom (it's hollow) and what looks like threading. Is there another part that's missing?

What do you think Watson?
proxy.php

It sure did clean up nicely. I was watching that one but never got around to dropping a bid. You really lucked out getting that one for $31 most of the lather catchers I've seen since usually go for somewhere north of $75-100. One day I'll have one, until then, my Gem Jr. and Micromatic will suffice I suppose.

As I mentioned, this was just a quick hand polishing. Wait 'till I buy a dremel and some felt wheels:cool:

EDIT: Just shaved with it. Great shave! I could use it as a straight (meaning): I lathered my face in the bathroom, and went to the bedroom window, put a small mirror there and shaved. I didn't have to rinse the blade and could go over a same spot a couple of times without irritation.
This little ever ready will never leave me! I may sell all my SE but this one- never!

Last edited:
Here's and Ever Ready I picked up a little while ago.. shaved with it once and was pleasantly surprised! Very nice thread and I love the handle on that Ever Ready too! Congrats.

What kind of people used sets/razors like these? I assume rich people?

I suspect you would find that many, perhaps most, of the fancy sets were purchased as gifts. Many of these sets cost $2.50 - $5.00 which was a lot of money back in those days when many folks only made $1.00 - $1.50 a day or so.

Please be careful about using a Dremel tool for polishing your razor. Sometimes you can remove more of the plating than you intended. I suggest you may want to just use hand polishing rather than using a rotory method. Actually, you have it looking quite nice already.

As far as more information on your razor . . . It was made by American Safety Razor, probably in about 1911-1912. I have seen an Ever-Ready with that head, with a handle like yours and in that same case in an advertisement dated to 1911-1912. That same razor was made with different handles, including the small black wooden style similar to the one on your Gem Jr. Bar razor, as well as various metal ones in the era of 1904-1912. Your razor, was made to use the thin, rib backed blades, as were all Ever-Readys.

Regards,
Tom

Thanks a lot man! I'll work the dremel only on the handle:wink:

Now just to hear D.Irvings opinion about the razor and thats it:biggrin:

It sure did clean up nicely. I was watching that one but never got around to dropping a bid. You really lucked out getting that one for $31 most of the lather catchers I've seen since usually go for somewhere north of $75-100. One day I'll have one, until then, my Gem Jr. and Micromatic will suffice I suppose.

Than again, when you think Hanspleasure got his set for the same amount of money...:smile:

Top Bottom