What's new

Cleaning Question

I have bought several razors lately and have a recurring problem. The finish seems to come off when I use metal polish on the gold toned ones. Is it the polish I amusing or is this something that just happens a lot?

sounds like the polish is too harsh for the plating. i use maas but never have tried on a gold razor. you might need a very mild polish for gold.

I wouldn't/don't attempt to use any kind of polish on the gold razors. The plating is too soft/thin to handle the abrasiveness of a polish. You can however get away with a tiny bit of toothpaste and a soft bristled brush. That always seems to shine up my gold razors.

I wouldn't/don't attempt to use any kind of polish on the gold razors. The plating is too soft/thin to handle the abrasiveness of a polish. You can however get away with a tiny bit of toothpaste and a soft bristled brush. That always seems to shine up my gold razors.

That sounds like a good idea. I don't like having a gold razor with a copper head. :blushing:

I wouldn't/don't attempt to use any kind of polish on the gold razors. The plating is too soft/thin to handle the abrasiveness of a polish.

+1 I learned this lesson the hard way. It reminded me of when the Three Stooges were selling Bright-O. The Maas polish took the Gold plating right off the razor.:mad:

As stated, Maas does a great job on Nickel plated razors but never polish gold. The toothpaste idea is a good one but you still need to be careful as it does have a bit of abrasive material in it.

You can however get away with a tiny bit of toothpaste and a soft bristled brush. That always seems to shine up my gold razors.

I agree, but make sure to gauge just how worn the gold plating already is. If it's still nice and amber-yellow but just needs some luster, sure use a little toothpaste. however, if it is already dingy yellow with some brown or black hues, you're on your last leg of plating and any polish will take it down to the stock metal, which is usually brass.

hope that helps, and yes we've all learned the hard way when it comes to cleaning razors! :blushing:

agree

While you should usually never polish a gold razor, there are some exceptions. If you have any gold Old Type or New Improved razors which already have significant plate loss they make great subjects for polishing since the entire razor is made out of brass (no copper cap) and can be brought to a brilliant finish that is every bit as beautiful as gold, if no more so.

To get a good lustre on gold try a paste/slurry of Zinc oxide powder and iospropyl alcohol. We use it in dentistry to get a mirror shine on gold restorations. You should be able to get the powder and alcohol from a pharmacy.
C

Thank you guys. I knew I could count on you for some great advice. I also knew I couldn't have been the first to destroy a razor.

While you should usually never polish a gold razor, there are some exceptions. If you have any gold Old Type or New Improved razors which already have significant plate loss they make great subjects for polishing since the entire razor is made out of brass (no copper cap) and can be brought to a brilliant finish that is every bit as beautiful as gold, if no more so.

May have to try this on one of my new improved. Thanks for the heads up.:smile:

Top Bottom