What's new

Custom Razors 04/09

I didn't bother reading the whole thread, but those boys over there have a tendency to make up new words for things on occasion. :rolleyes: Although I have been guilty, myself, of referring to this shaped point as "French" when I'm tired or not thinking, I have never seen references to the term "French Point" in any printed matter for any razor from more established resources besides that forum or the circle of vendors surrounding it.

I think the term originated over there from a few of those boys comparing the older French frameback razors that had a similarly pointed blade tip. The configuration became generalized and then, once something is repeated enough it becomes "the truth". Personally, I don't think the nomenclature is that important. If they want to insist that minor variances change the terminology it's ok with me... doesn't mean it's the truth though. :wink:

To be specific about the shape of the blade with the purple heart scales; it is considered an Irish point or an oblique point which are two words meaning the same thing. So are Wapi's = Irish/oblique. Some of my other razors could fit the category of square point even though there is the slightest forward slope to the tip of the blade. However, I think I'm gonna make up my own wording for this new shaped blade tip. I'm gonna call this one my Roman Nose... :biggrin:

attachment.php

That's what we call horses with noses like that :biggrin:

And thanks for the clarification!

Top Bottom