What's new

Custom Razors 04/09

Thanks for all the nice words, guys. Here are some more pics of the same razors. I was busy with the travel razor thingie and had to put these on hold for a bit. They only need to be honed now... and a "Buy It Now" on eBay for $50. Yuh! :biggrin:

Bill,
Is that Olivewood second from the top? Hard pressed to pick a fave, but I really love that wood; it plays perfectly against your signature blade finish.

These are all just stunning! Phenomenal work......as usual!

Thanks, Stu... in order from the top:

• Asian cinnamon burl
  • One-piece olivewood
  • Tamboti
  • Purple heart
  • Don't remember :redface:
  • Amboyna burl

Bill, for the scales that have liners, what material did you use?
The black liner looks like acrylic, I have no idea what the bluish material is.

Bill, for the scales that have liners, what material did you use?
The black liner looks like acrylic, I have no idea what the bluish material is.
I do not use plastic for any of my liners. I find the adhesion between it and the wood a bit suspect and wouldn't want to take a chance on putting it in a $500 razor and then have it come apart. What I use is called vulcanized fiber material. You can find it at most knife-making supply stores on the Internet. Ken has some in a few colors. You may have to use the keyword "spacer" to find it on his site.

I do not use plastic for any of my liners. I find the adhesion between it and the wood a bit suspect and wouldn't want to take a chance on putting it in a $500 razor and then have it come apart. What I use is called vulcanized fiber material. You can find it at most knife-making supply stores on the Internet. Ken has some in a few colors. You may have to use the keyword "spacer" to find it on his site.

Thanks for the clarification and the link Bill.

That last one in post #41 (is that the Amboyna Burl?) is about what I imagine I would ask you to put me on the list for. Absolutely breathtaking!!
What is the size and grind like?

Stunning work, once again. It must be amazing to take pride in your work and have a physical manifestation of it like that. Especially when you can share it with people who appreciate and cherish it as you clearly do.

Thanks for sharing these!!!

That last one in post #41 (is that the Amboyna Burl?) is about what I imagine I would ask you to put me on the list for. Absolutely breathtaking!!
What is the size and grind like?

Stunning work, once again. It must be amazing to take pride in your work and have a physical manifestation of it like that. Especially when you can share it with people who appreciate and cherish it as you clearly do.

Thanks for sharing these!!!

Thanks for the compliments. I most definitely take pride in my work, but "cherish" might be a bit much... :blushing:

This one is Amboyna burl.

attachment.php

LOL, fair enough.

These have pretty similar blade geometry, though, I think.
So, the one at the bottom of post 41 is the "Don't remember" scales?
Hmmm...how to ask for one of those!!!

LOL, fair enough.

These have pretty similar blade geometry, though, I think.
So, the one at the bottom of post 41 is the "Don't remember" scales?
Hmmm...how to ask for one of those!!!
You would ask for medium dark burl with a lot of chatoyance. Of course, you wouldn't get to ask for one for at least a year. By that time you will forget. How much will you give me for that one in post 41? :biggrin:

You would ask for medium dark burl with a lot of chatoyance. Of course, you wouldn't get to ask for one for at least a year. By that time you will forget. How much will you give me for that one in post 41? :biggrin:

You're probably right...I'll have a new "That's THE ONE" razor by then, likely.

As for your second question...you could pretty much name your price! I've seen what your razors go for, and haven't seen an unfair price yet.

Bill will you clarify this question for me. I've seen it said that:

"The "Irish" point kind of slopes almost linearly forward directly to a spike point, where the "French" point is more rounded. The picture below shows my understanding of a more-or-less Irish point at the top, French point on bottom":
link with pictures here

So my question is the razor with the purple heart scales, Irish or French tip?

Thanks

Bill will you clarify this question for me. I've seen it said that:

"The "Irish" point kind of slopes almost linearly forward directly to a spike point, where the "French" point is more rounded. The picture below shows my understanding of a more-or-less Irish point at the top, French point on bottom":
link with pictures here

So my question is the razor with the purple heart scales, Irish or French tip?

Thanks
I didn't bother reading the whole thread, but those boys over there have a tendency to make up new words for things on occasion. :rolleyes: Although I have been guilty, myself, of referring to this shaped point as "French" when I'm tired or not thinking, I have never seen references to the term "French Point" in any printed matter for any razor from more established resources besides that forum or the circle of vendors surrounding it.

I think the term originated over there from a few of those boys comparing the older French frameback razors that had a similarly pointed blade tip. The configuration became generalized and then, once something is repeated enough it becomes "the truth". Personally, I don't think the nomenclature is that important. If they want to insist that minor variances change the terminology it's ok with me... doesn't mean it's the truth though. :wink:

To be specific about the shape of the blade with the purple heart scales; it is considered an Irish point or an oblique point which are two words meaning the same thing. So are Wapi's = Irish/oblique. Some of my other razors could fit the category of square point even though there is the slightest forward slope to the tip of the blade. However, I think I'm gonna make up my own wording for this new shaped blade tip. I'm gonna call this one my Roman Nose... :biggrin:

attachment.php

Top Bottom