What's new

T&H, numb face, tea tree

Today I had three new shaving related experiences. First, a story: I woke up late and called the dentist's office to find out when my appointment was scheduled. Because the receptionist informed me that I was supposed to be lying in the chair right at that moment, I obviously left the house without a shave. At the dentist, I got a filling in one of my molars, right side, bottom, and he injected the nerve with anasthetic such that I couldn't feel the lower right portion of my face. On the way home from the dentist, I stopped by our local tobacconist who happened to have a selection of Truefitt & Hill shaving creams. Feeling like I needed a little pampering after my traumatic experience at the dentist, I purchased a tub of West Indian Limes (the scent is incredible.)

Back up to last night: I'm at Wal-Mart picking up a prescription and while I'm waiting, I am looking at their various face lotions and creams. I notice a bottle of Tea Tree oil and purchase it along with my pills.

Return to this morning: so I get home and take a hot shower, adding a drop of the Tea Tree oil to my hair conditioner to try and control my rampant dandruff problem (one of its many uses.) Then I begin my shave, carefully opening the tub of cream, savoring the scent of limes as I apply a small amount to my brush. The cream lathers extremely well, and I only wish my brush were as cooperative. I shall purchase a badger hair in approximately two months because I told myself I would only spend $50 per month on my new obsession and I have already spent around $55 this month. So the shave was incredible... on the left side of my face. On the right side, it was like I was shaving someone else's face. Let me tell you, not having any feedback from your skin makes for an uncomfortable, awkward shave. Thank goodness the luxury of the West Indian Limes made up for the unpleasantness. I finished up as best I could, four passes with none of my usual blade buffing to get the difficult parts. Plus, I nicked my beauty mark which happens to be on the lower right part of my face and blood was dripping down my chin. As if I hadn't learned enough of a lesson from trying to shave a numb face, I decided to experiment with mixing my Proraso ASB with a drop of Tea Tree oil to see what would happen. Thankfully, it ended pleasantly with only a minor stinging upon application and, about two minutes later, a very soothing tingling sensation. I'm not yet ready to mix a whole bottle of my Tea Tree concoction yet, though. I have a few more ideas to try first (menthol crystals!) All in all, the second most exciting shave I've ever had, second only to my very first DE shave with Proraso in the green tube. I suppose I've written a novel here, but if you don't feel like reading it, you don't have to.

Happy Shaving!
-Brady

Welcome to B&B :badger:

Glad to see you're already experimenting and formulating your own recipes...you'll fit right in around here.

Have fun!

I'm using the Proraso (Omega) boar hair brush. I know that a badger will be much better, but the Proraso is much much better than the first (no name) brush I bought to start shaving.

Also, at the tobacconist, I spoke to a very knowledgable gentleman about their selections of creams (AoS and T&H onlly.) Funny thing was, he looked like he hadn't shaven in a year!

-Brady

Tea Tree Story.....

Back when I was first getting into essential oils I discovered tea tree and did a lot of homework on it. It is an Australian tree and is currently considered to be highly invasive in Florida, but the oil is very antisceptic and folks keep for cuts and bruises I guess.. so I ordered some.

A couple weeks later the ex tells me that he has something he called C.R. Something he used to get in the Navy when he was in damp area's in a certain place in his groin area.. that he referred to as the boys... He told me it was a fungal infection and itched like crazy and he didn't know what to do about it... I was now a brilliant natural healer by that time of course and told him, I have the tea tree oil, let's try that! I proceeded to slap a palm full of tea tree onto the offending area... when he didn't move, I rubbed it all in. Only then did I notice that he seemed quite paralyzed and had steam coming out of his ears... He lifted his knees and started fanning... he didn't stop doing that for about an hour.. only then did he turn to look at me. Well, I ran....!

I cured the C. R. but he was never a willing guinea pig again after that... well for a couple of weeks anyway.....

So anyway, just be careful using this in essential oil form........ :eek: :wink:

LOL, thank you Sue! I'll remember your story the next time I get a case of, uh, C.R. Don't worry, though, I've had experience with EOs before (peppermint is my favorite) and I know not to use much stronger than a 5% solution in something neutral. Coincidentally, I have some stories of my own regarding "the boys" and certain "cooling" balms that turned out to be "not so cooling." I'll leave those for another time, though.

Happy Shaving!
-Brady

Tea Tree Story.....

Back when I was first getting into essential oils I discovered tea tree and did a lot of homework on it. It is an Australian tree and is currently considered to be highly invasive in Florida, but the oil is very antisceptic and folks keep for cuts and bruises I guess.. so I ordered some.

A couple weeks later the ex tells me that he has something he called C.R. Something he used to get in the Navy when he was in damp area's in a certain place in his groin area.. that he referred to as the boys... He told me it was a fungal infection and itched like crazy and he didn't know what to do about it... I was now a brilliant natural healer by that time of course and told him, I have the tea tree oil, let's try that! I proceeded to slap a palm full of tea tree onto the offending area... when he didn't move, I rubbed it all in. Only then did I notice that he seemed quite paralyzed and had steam coming out of his ears... He lifted his knees and started fanning... he didn't stop doing that for about an hour.. only then did he turn to look at me. Well, I ran....!

I cured the C. R. but he was never a willing guinea pig again after that... well for a couple of weeks anyway.....

So anyway, just be careful using this in essential oil form........ :eek: :wink:

llllllllllllloooooooooollllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I proceeded to slap a palm full of tea tree onto the offending area... when he didn't move, I rubbed it all in. Only then did I notice that he seemed quite paralyzed and had steam coming out of his ears...

Maybe it was the slap to that area...... :eek6:

Marty

Everytime I think I am learning a lot, I remember that day and it keeps me humble... I will never just 'slap' on some eo again... ever! :blush:

Top Bottom