What's new

Diplomat re-visited

A while back I acquired a 4th quarter 55 Diplomat because it was my birthday razor. I was a little saddened to find that it was on the aggressive side for me.

I had not used it for the better part of a year, but took it out and put it in the rotation last week. I must report that I am pleasantly surprised to find it is giving me excellent comfortable shaves. I don't get it, but there you have it.

Mike, glad to hear you dug it out and gave your Diplomat a go. The 55' Diplomat is one of my top three razors. Might even say it's my favorite because I seem to reach for it more than any other razor I have.

The shave is awesome and there's just something about the size and feel of the handle that makes it what it is. Enjoy your renewed found razor.

I'm a Diplomat fan as well. I reach for my Diplomat more than any other razor. Glad to hear you gave this great machine a second chance.

The Diplomat is the best DE razor I have ever used!

Paired with a Red Personna Blade= :tongue_sm
Very smooth!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder what is different. I don't figure that my face has changed in that length of time. I come down on the side of my technique going under subtle changes over the months. :confused:

I wonder what is different. I don't figure that my face has changed in that length of time. I come down on the side of my technique going under subtle changes over the months. :confused:

It is definitely your technique. The Diplomat is a heavy razor which requires a gentle touch. On your earlier use you had undoubtedly used too much pressure, and possibly even a bad angle. This is why a always urge people to never judge a razor's performance too early and to never totally give up on one. I feel every razor can deliver a great shave with patience and learning. It is just that the learning curve is faster on some than with others.

It is definitely your technique. The Diplomat is a heavy razor which requires a gentle touch. On your earlier use you had undoubtedly used too much pressure, and possibly even a bad angle. This is why a always urge people to never judge a razor's performance too early and to never totally give up on one. I feel every razor can deliver a great shave with patience and learning. It is just that the learning curve is faster on some than with others.

Well said Guido.

I enjoy the diplomat, but the only set I have is so nice that I feel bad about using it. (I really prefer to have very nice shaver grade razors instead of collector grade razors for this reason)

Other than the obvious difference on the handle....
Are there any other differences between the Diplomat and the '48-'50 Aristocrats? (i.e. head, blade gap, weight, etc.)

I enjoy the diplomat, but the only set I have is so nice that I feel bad about using it. (I really prefer to have very nice shaver grade razors instead of collector grade razors for this reason)

+1

I have a very nice Diplomat set as well- none of the runny lacquer or worn plating I see on so many Aristocrats... and consequently I don't want to use the damned thing!

I have usable Diplomat envy...!

Can folks elaborate on how the Diplomat might shave differently from the more ubiquitous Aristocrat from the same era? I have several Aristocrats, but I'm searching for a Diplomat. I was wondering what I was possibly missing so far in terms of shave experiences.:smile:

TIA

I don't have a Diplomat but I do have a President which so far as I know is much the same razor just with different plating. I do like using it but I find it to be the pickiest of my razors when it comes to blade choice, very few blades seem to go well with this razor for me.

Other than the obvious difference on the handle....
Are there any other differences between the Diplomat and the '48-'50 Aristocrats? (i.e. head, blade gap, weight, etc.)

+1

I have a very nice Diplomat set as well- none of the runny lacquer or worn plating I see on so many Aristocrats... and consequently I don't want to use the damned thing!

I have usable Diplomat envy...!

And this is exactly why I have two of them....I've had to buy doubles of a good many razors just to try them out.

In light of this thread I thought I'd share a few pics of my Diplomat. I used it a few times but for reason the shave wasn't very comfortable... going to try it out this week. Which blades do you guys prefer with it?

In light of this thread I thought I'd share a few pics of my Diplomat. I used it a few times but for reason the shave wasn't very comfortable... going to try it out this week. Which blades do you guys prefer with it?

Nice score!

I prefer Feather or 7 O'Clock Yellows in my Diplomat.

Top Bottom