What's new

Axes & Amps

As I suspected it might be, my Rogues' Gallery thread was a flop, but a few people perked up at the mention of guitars. There must be a lot of us would be guitar heroes out there, and GAD can be just as bad as RAD (and a LOT more expensive), so let's see 'em!

Here's a picture of my favorite playing electric. It's a recent vintage Eric Johnson Strat, which is essentially a really nice '57 reissue with a quarter sawn neck, custom shop pick-ups and the string trees removed. That's me (before B&B, obviously) on stage at the Backstage in Woodmere, NY with my band, The Grateful Dads (guess what kind of music we play). If you look closely, you can seem my Custom Twin Amp in the background, which is the amp upon which I rely most heavily.

Enjoy!

Here's me with my trusty Jackson RR1!

proxy.php

This was a gig with a lousy backline. We didn't bother to soundcheck since it wouldn't matter. I just plugged into the Hiwatt combo amp and used the previous (thrashmetal) bands settings and we did a line check.

I couldn't hear myself in the monitor so I had to listen to the amp itself, which I could barely hear. It was hot and I was sweating like a pig and to top it all, I was in great need of going to the bathroom. And it wasn't to pee.....

Other than that, it was a great gig.

I own a Peavey 6505, but as I just wrote, I didn't use it there.

Last edited:
Okay.
Here are some amps (clockwise from upper left: Early Blues Junior, heavily modified; blackface Fender Pro Reverb; 1st year Fender Bassman RI; Trace Eliott 7025 bass amp):
proxy.php

Here are, as Mrs. Taco calls them, her "sister wives." (Front, L-R: Washburn hollowbody jazz guitar of some kind; my killer J-bass, made by my buddy; my Frankenstrat of wide-ranging pedigree, and my Wicked Witch modified palo escrito Telecaster. Back: my Martin acoustic and my ukulele.)
proxy.php

These are the only pics I can find on this computer at the moment. I used to have 9 or 10 guitars, but I've thinned the herd quite a bit. Haven't plyed 'out' in a long time, so my beautiful '88 LP Custom has moved on.:frown:

Nice rigs! Keep 'em coming.

Hey Paul -- do you shave lefty, too? :cool:

Nope, my left arm is pretty beat. I can hold a pick with it though! I'd post a picture of my arm, but that usually ruffles some feathers with mods on forums. I was injured in a farm equipment accident when I was 8. I could PM the picture if you're interested. It was taken in the ER.

Sorry about the arm. No thanks for the pics, there is a reason I didn't go to med school (well, several, actually) . . . .

I am surprised that this thread isn't attracting a little more traffic. Perhaps I should just have named it "guitars". Is there a way to rename it?

Anyway, this is one of my prized possessions, a 1975 Martin M-36. You won't see too many of these around. David Bromberg used to play one, but now he's got his own signature model. It's smaller than a Dreadnought, but it sounds every bit as big, in its own way. This one is also old enough that it does not have an adjustable neck, so the action is a little dependent upon the weather (even though I do try to store it properly, wood will be wood). Nevertheless, it always sounds great, and it is a privilege to play.

I can't believe this thread isn't more active, either.
So (Bump!) I'll add a couple that got away.
My first, a Gretsch Chet Atkins Nasville:
proxy.php

And a Gibson Les Paul 25/50 Anniversary:
proxy.php

I don't have pictures of all of my guitars but here is one of my favorites, a Samick Sheraton II copy:

proxy.php

Me at band practice:

proxy.php

Samick again with pedal board and blonde Blues Jr. in the back:

proxy.php

I can't believe this thread isn't more active, either.
So (Bump!) I'll add a couple that got away.
My first, a Gretsch Chet Atkins Nasville:

And a Gibson Les Paul 25/50 Anniversary:

Love the Chet and the Paul, Bluestaco, and thanks for the bump!

I don't have pictures of all of my guitars but here is one of my favorites, a Samick Sheraton II copy:

Me at band practice:

proxy.php

Samick again with pedal board and blonde Blues Jr. in the back:

Hey now, "otherstar" -- is that a GD reference?!?!? I almost missed it until I spied your t-shirt. BTW, I notice that the pilsener glasses and beer steins on the wall behind you are not shattered, which can only mean that you're not playing loud enough!

Peace. :001_005:

:a5:

Last edited:
I recently got done upgrading my 2001 Vox AC-30 TBX. Upgrades include:

Custom built Jeff Swanson Cabinet
  • Original 1970's tolex
  • Transitional Logo
  • Natural Wood interior
  • Brass Vents
  • Leather Handles
  • Laser engraved serial tag
http://swansoncabinets.com/

Don Butler Modified circuit board
  • Reissue Amp Upgrade
  • Mercury Magnetic Output Transformer & Choke
http://www.tone-man.com/amp-serv.htm

Lavaman Custom Speaker Cable
  • Kimber 4VS multi-strand wire
  • built to specification of length
http://www.lavacable.com/

It turned out great and it sounds as beautiful as it looks. Thought I would share! [:D]

And for your viewing pleasure:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

That is a fantastic amp. I played one for years until I replaced it with the Fender Custom Twin. My only problem with the AC-30 is that it is so @$#%& heavy!!

BTW. Thanks for the bump. I was beginning to think no one was interested.

:a5:

Great thread. I wish I had something worth showing pictures of but I have mainly played acoustic over the 10 or so years that I've been playing and currently I am down to just 1 acoustic. It is a Tacoma DM9 with LR Baggs pickups. It is really plain looking (which is actually why I like it so much), but the real beauty of it is the sound! It just has such a big, thick, rich sound! To bad they were bought out by Fender and now they only carry the off centered wing sound hole series.

J.

Very sexy AC-30! :w00t:
Did you do all of the upgrades yourself?

I did that with my Pro Reverb (which is actually a very early '68, so I did the blackface mods and redid the cosmetics). I still have to replace the speakers and I'm still deciding on which ones. Leaning toward Weber and thinking one ceramic and one AlNico, but I dunno.

Left to right:

1982 Gibson Les Paul 1950's pre-issue; 1999 Fender Big Apple Strat; 1965 Fender Jaguar (all original).

Amp is a '92 Mesa Tremoverb, w/ JJ tubes (hi-gain pre, 6v6/KT77 power section, and GZ34 rec. tubes) w/ a boss analog delay in the loop, into a marshall 4X12 w/ celestion G12t-75's.

View attachment 48520

View attachment 48521

Sweet rig, 'gussy. The Marshall cab must SCREAM with that Mesa head.

The Jaguar looks killer. A bet it has major mojo!!

:cool2:

One of these days I'll get around to posting a picture of my Marshall JMP (basket weave) and various other guitars that I haven't put up yet. I've just been too lazy to take out the camera lately when I get home from work.

Anyway, glad you found your way here -- didn't take you very long!!!

Top Bottom