What's new

Royal Keenkutter

I recently found my great grandfather's old straight in a cupboard at my grandma's house. Its a Royal Keenkutter... anyone heard of these? I havent seen a thing about them. I'm not really sure what I've got here :confused::confused:

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

If anything, I found myself a fantastic heirloom.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Might be associated with the original Keen Kutter brand from Simmons Hardware. Congrats on this discovery... I have my Great Great Grandfather's Wade & Butcher Chopper... actually about sliced my left forefinger off tonight between stropping it and cleaning it.... What a find for you though .... Here is info on KK

Keen Kutter is a trade name first used by Simmons Hardware Company of St. Louis, Missouri in 1866. The name was adopted as a trademark by Simmons Hardware Company in 1870 and was used on their highest quality tools and cutlery.

Simmons Hardware Company was purchased by arch rival Shapleigh Hardware Company (also of St. Louis) in 1940. Shapleigh Hardware Company was known for their premium brand Diamond Edge. After Shapleigh acquired the Keen Kutter trademark it was modified by replacing the "E.C. Simmons" in the top of the logo with Shapleigh's (Fig. 6). Shapleigh continued to use the trademark on products until they went out of business in 1960.

After several years the Keen Kutter trademark was sold to Val-Test Distributors of Chicago, Illinois, a wholesale hardware buyers group. Val-Test allows smaller wholesale hardware companies to order goods. The orders are combined with orders from other hardware companies allowing for quantity discounts from manufactures. After Val-Test acquired the trademark they removed the "Shapleigh's" leaving the top of the logo blank (Fig. 7). Val-Test discontinued the Keen Kutter line of goods during the 1990s. Also during the 1990s limited use of the Keen Kutter trademark was authorized for a line of pocket knives distributed by Frost Cutlery Co.

The Keen Kutter trademark is currently privately held.

After a bit of cleaning, I can clearly see the "E.C. Simmons" in the top of the logo on the blade.

Thanks for the post. It was most helpful :biggrin:

Top Bottom