What's new

A Slanted Vision?

According to Classic Shaving... the Vision 2000 has a slant on the blade...

The razor is manufactured with a slight slant bar effect; this slant creates tension and delivers a closer more aggressive shave than other adjustable Merkur Razors.

Really? I didn't realize that. I'm assuming it's not nearly as large a slant as the official slant bar, but is at least there and it's not straight.

This seems to be true. It's an open question if this is deliberate or caused by a warped casting mould.

One side-effect of this is the door assembly can only be put on one way, and it's not easy to tell if it's the right way until it's on and tightened down.

I studied my Vision last night and I see absolutely no indication of any of the aforementioned "slant". Nor do I see that the door mechanism is particular to one side of the razor or another. In fact, I purposefully turned the doors and rod mechanism 180-degrees and shaved with it this morning in that configuration. No change in acceleration, braking or handling. She drives the same.

Based on all that, I think the "slant" claim is a bit unfounded.

Your milage may vary,

R.

This is rich. What a load of BS. This is because so many people are complaining that their Visions are defective and want to return them. Now they (or Merkur) can say it is a "feature." There is nothing in the design that indicates it should be slanted, it is just a bad design. I would like Classic and Merkur to explain why some Visions are slanted and others are not.

This reminds me of my beloved slim adjustable slant that I won off of ebay.

full

Very Rare

Last edited by a moderator:
This is rich. What a load of BS. This is because so many people are complaining that their Visions are defective and want to return them. Now they (or Merkur) can say it is a "feature." There is nothing in the design that indicates it should be slanted, it is just a bad design. I would like Classic and Merkur to explain why some Visions are slanted and others are not.

Well, that seals it for me. I was considered a purchase of one of these, now I'm definately going to stick with my Slant, that is supposed be slanted. One a semi-side note, I've had numerous bad experiences with ClassicShaving, I had a problem with one of their products and they diddn't even have the decency to respond to my numerous emails. I certainly wouldn't call that professionalism. No desire to do business with them ever again.

I suggest you call them. I've had issues with them before and they always handled them very quickly. I always called though--never sent an email.

The razor is manufactured with a slight slant bar effect; this slant creates tension and delivers a closer more aggressive shave than other adjustable Merkur Razors.

Because of this it is "Better Than New" even though it is new. Look for the limited edition colored handles to come out soon!

R.A. (Chairman of the Board)

And I thought I saw the spin control with the election results! This puts the DC gangs to shame.

Could someone post a picture of a "Slant" Vision ? I am curious to see what everyone is talking about. Mine doesn't exhibit any of the described characteristics.

Well, that seals it for me. I was considered a purchase of one of these, now I'm definately going to stick with my Slant, that is supposed be slanted. One a semi-side note, I've had numerous bad experiences with ClassicShaving, I had a problem with one of their products and they diddn't even have the decency to respond to my numerous emails. I certainly wouldn't call that professionalism. No desire to do business with them ever again.

Believe me, always best to call. No matter who you're dealing with. Email is far from 100% reliable. And if either of you are using AOL, then all bets are off.

However, my experience with them by email has been positive so far.

... Now they (or Merkur) can say it is a "feature." There is nothing in the design that indicates it should be slanted, it is just a bad design. I would like Classic and Merkur to explain why some Visions are slanted and others are not.

I could not help, but to laugh.

If you have encountered German culture, you will oftentimes encounter this vexing sentiment... especially between Americans and Germans.

It is often parodied in the following joke:
American BWM owner: There is something wrong with this car!
German Mechanic: Zee es no problem wit zee auto... Nein.

American BWM owner: Yes. There is something wrong with this car!
German Mechanic: Nein, but I look. You wait.

<<MECHANIC ENTERS SHOP AND REPAIRS DEFECT>>

German Mechanic: You come. Zee, es no problem wit zee auto.

More than likely, there is more than one mold that is used to cast the parts and one of them has warped or was CNC'd incorrectly. This would explain the hit or miss mechanical issues.

Getting a German to admit a flaw to an American?

Good luck.

I doubt the Lord Almighty could even pull it off.

-joedy

Progress have the notorious problem of a different sized gap on each side. Fun! Hope you get a good one!

I thought that was just because it's common for people to put it back together misaligned... something about a mark on the top and the bottom having to line up...

I thought that was just because it's common for people to put it back together misaligned... something about a mark on the top and the bottom having to line up...

Yes. I notice on my Progress when I purposely invert left/right, there is a slight slanted gap. When It's inserted to the proper match of the markers, the gap is straight like it should be.

I suggest you call them. I've had issues with them before and they always handled them very quickly. I always called though--never sent an email.

I since have handled it on my own. But thanks for the info -- If I have any problems in the future that's what I'll do. :smile:

Top Bottom