What's new

Only 2 passes WTG !?

I can only do 2 passes WTG, anymore and my face gets sore. Is this a technique issue or will my face get used to it?

I'm almost 100% positive that this is just a technique issue. Concentrate on learning proper blade angle. The steeper the blade angle, the more you are just scraping the blade across your face. That leads to a LOT of razor burn. Moreover, if you just recently switched from cartridge razors, I guarantee you're pressing down on the blade, even if you think you're not. Seriously, with DE shaving you have to unlearn soooo much of the bad habits from cartridge shaving.

Hang in there, and focus on your technique. It will take some time, but you will get the hang of it. And, believe me, it is so worth it!

Welcome to B&B, by the way!

It took me a few weeks to get adequate technique and for my skin to adjust. If you are still new to DE shaving, just practice technique and give it some time.

Im agree with the other post and I think that is a problem with your technique.It takes a couple days or even weeks to adjust to a DE razor,specially to learn how to handle properly and the right amount of pressure that works for you.
Take your time and be patience with the results.They will come and you will be able to enjoy your shaves.

2 passes wtg and sore face is a not what shaving is supposed to be. it's meant to be comfortable and relaxing. it should feel like a blade going through butter. with a good lather you won't have to focus on technique, it will come naturally and it should be simple.
i left a link and in is another link to jims soap lather tutorial. follow it to the letter.

i recomend face lathering, soak brush, put a couple of drops on the puck, squeeze brush hard, shake 4 times, swirl brush on puck for a minute, spread on face evenly, little longer on your neck, then dip brush tips very gently in water, only the tips, keep swirling on face, do this 3 times. go wtg, rinse face lather face again and only dip brush gently maybe 1 time and go atg.
if you need more lather or see the lather getting thin go back to the puck and load it up again.

http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=84637

I have a Slim adjustable set on 3 at the moment.

It's probably a pressure issue. Try holding the razor by the end segment with your index finger and thumb. This will let you feel what it means to "let the razor do the shaving." There's almost no way to apply force to the head, to clarify, when holding it in this manner.

Also, check your angle. Unload the blade and get a piece of flat cardboard. Rest the head against the cardboard and rock forward until the guard is also touching. that should give you an idea of proper angle with the razor in question.

Finally, keep at it. When it all lines up for you, it's a great feeling and will be the best shave you've ever had.

I'm almost 100% positive that this is just a technique issue. Concentrate on learning proper blade angle. The steeper the blade angle, the more you are just scraping the blade across your face. That leads to a LOT of razor burn. Moreover, if you just recently switched from cartridge razors, I guarantee you're pressing down on the blade, even if you think you're not. Seriously, with DE shaving you have to unlearn soooo much of the bad habits from cartridge shaving.

Hang in there, and focus on your technique. It will take some time, but you will get the hang of it. And, believe me, it is so worth it!

Welcome to B&B, by the way!

Nicely put.

I'm about 2 weeks in and I can say from a learning experience it's 100% technique. I was about to give up on a new blade combo because it was one of my worst shaves to date but I said I would give it another go. I had to remind myself "zero" pressure. Like Tommy said you may think your not applying pressure but in reality you are, by the end of my shave there was a night and day difference. Just keep at it, things will get better, there will always be a few ups and downs along the way....

Yes, should be technique, too much pressure, you should not be sore.

I will often do just a 2 times WTG shave. Not BBS but looks clean and something quick and with a bit of an edge

What razor, blade, and soap or cream are you using? If you're just switching to wetshaving, it will take a week for your face and beard to adjust. A proper well, hydrated lather is half the secret. The rest is either a razor or blade problem, or using too much pressure.

PS: Has the razor been dropped in the past. Is the blade gap even all the way across the razor?. Receiving Slims that have this problem is not uncommon. Also the adjustment setting may be way off. See the threads on B&B regarding both problems.

I think multiple passes is fine for some people, but I've always been a 1-time with the grain, or if really desiring a close shave, 2-times with the grain.

Do what works best for you!

The other factor is your skin will get more and more used to it. There was a post a few weeks ago where people said it tok up to 3 months before all the irration disappeared.

But yeah if you technique is perfect then you should almost have to apply no pressure...

+1 to practicing technique.

I found that, once I mastered technique, 2 WTG passes left me me a great shave. Make sure you've mapped out the grain of your beard so that you are, indeed, shaving with the grain.

Slow and steady. Like all great things in life, shaving with a DE requires patience and perseverance. Keep us posted as to how you're doing.

Some people have serious skin conditions that make shaving impossible. If you don't think you have a skin condition, your technique is likely to blame.

Top Bottom