What's new

Comments from my old man

I was browsing B&B tonight while on the phone with my old man (who is 64), so I asked him how he shaved when he was younger.

First he said, "I don't remember." :lol:

He admitted to using a DE razor, but his shaving cream came out of a can and he didn't seem to have been particular about the brand, smell, etc. When I proceeded to tell him of finding the B&B community and ordering new shaving supplies, he said, "None of that stuff matters. A lot of guys used to just get a bunch of suds in their hands from regular bar soap and used that to shave. Heck, sometimes when I travel and forget my shaving stuff, I still do that with the little hotel soap. Doesn't make a difference."

One more thing, about whipping up a lather with a brush, he remarked, "That's my father's generation." I suppose I'm getting into more of a time warp than I thought!

Hope you enjoyed my father's comments.

my old man grew up in argentina, argentina was a manufacturing center for gilletter for the whole of south america, so he use to tell me how he trew away his DE safety razor every time he dropped it in the sink, and just went and got a new one from the store for a dollar or two,

About two years ago I found three of my Dad's old razors while rummaging in his basement. I brought them upstairs and showed them to my Dad. I asked him if he remembered them. His elaborate response..."No". I asked him if I could have them. He proclaimed..."Yes".

My Dad has had two razors since he was old enough to shave - a 50s Brit Rocket Flare Tip that I now use that he gave me when I was about 14, and another 50s Brit Rocket that he has used since he gave the one to me. The Flare Tip I now have was given to my Dad when he was about 14 by my Grandfather. He bought his current razor new, shortly after that. He is not overly enthusiastic like I am, but I got him a new brush for Christmas and I did just PIF him some sampler blades :lol:

Last edited:
I was browsing B&B tonight while on the phone with my old man (who is 64), so I asked him how he shaved when he was younger.

He admitted to using a DE razor, but his shaving cream came out of a can and he didn't seem to have been particular about the brand, smell, etc. When I proceeded to tell him of finding the B&B community and ordering new shaving supplies, he said, "None of that stuff matters. A lot of guys used to just get a bunch of suds in their hands from regular bar soap and used that to shave. Heck, sometimes when I travel and forget my shaving stuff, I still do that with the little hotel soap. Doesn't make a difference."

One more thing, about whipping up a lather with a brush, he remarked, "That's my father's generation." I suppose I'm getting into more of a time warp than I thought!

I would imagine that by the time your father started shaving, canned shaving cream was all the rage.

Dad, who is 76 now, enlisted in the Navy in 1950 and got an Everready horsehair (?) brush at the Great Lakes Naval Base when he went through boot camp. I still have it. Anyway, a few months later he was stationed at Pearl Harbor and it was at the PX there that he saw his first can of shaving cream. So shaving cream must have become available around 1950.

Your dad is completely right. Sadly (or not :wink: ) I'm almost your dad's age. When I first started shaving the average person used a DE and a can of goo. After about a year I did try using shaving soap and a brush, I knew enough to get a pure badger brush but I didn't know enough to track down a better soap, I used William's :eek:.

I think my father, who I remember always using canned goo, first moved from shaving soap sometime in the 40's.

I went to the dark side about 20 years ago, honestly I can't remember why.

I'm so glad that I went back to DE about a year ago. I can't tell you how much money it's saved me. I can't tell you because I haven't! :lol: My Rooney 1/1/ in finest with ebony handle is arriving today! :w00t:

But I love getting up each morning and taking the few extra minutes to shave with a quality razor (Aristocrat), brush and my choice of 5-6 milled soaps.

it's really cool to here these comments. sadly my grandfather has passed otherwise he would have been very interesting to talk to about this topic. However my mother does remember seeing him shave with a Safety razor that twisted to open. that's all I got.

Well, at 63 I guess that makes me an old man too! Or do I need to wait another year. :001_smile

And it is correct that when I started shaving canned foam was the thing. We mostly called it "shaving cream" but I think "Gillette Foamy" was on the market even then. I did used a Williams mug now and then but that was just for variety's sake. I think the brush also came from Williams.

What was of interest to most guys my age was all the new razors that were coming out from both Schick and Gillette and the huge variety of canned shaving cream. Foam variety and cartridge razors were the hot items. My cabinet usually had two or three razors and a couple of cans of cream. DEs were where I started and it was probably a couple of years before I started experimenting with cartridges.

Shaving creams aimed at the traditional (Old Spice), the medicinal (Medicated Noxzema), and the modern (cans that used some chemical reaction to heat the foam as it came out).

So we had fun with shaving back then, too!
:shaving:

I remember my grandfather using a DE. My dad lamented shaving with disposables. He always wanted to use his DE, but a few years back, the blades were almost impossible to find in supermarkets.

Here are some time warp comments/observations.

Growing up and taking note of shaving in the 50's, there was a tv jingle for Rapid Shave, a canned goop:

Rapid Shave outshaves them all,
Rapid Shave outshaves them all.
No messy brush, no greasy cream
Use Rapid Shave in the morning.

the message was clear enough, and I resolved that when I started shaving, I would use Rapid Shave, because it had none of the negatives cited in the jingle. Around that time, we were driving the highways of America and I also became aware of Burma Shave through their ubiquitous signs, and I understood that this was the "greasy cream" referred to.

My father shaved with an electric, but it took him forever, I couldn't stand the sound of it, and it never really got his face smooth, so although i flirted with an electric occasionally, I stuck with my goop in the can--either Rapid Shave, Noxema, or, when I felt particularly luxurious, Old Spice.

In 1963 I joined the Navy, and one day, browsing the shelves of the Exchange, saw an Old Spice Mug, decided to give it a try--bought a brush (probably around a buck, must have been boar's hair.) The next morning I whipped up a lather, spread it on my face--noticed the warmth, the feel that my beard was being well massaged and saturated, the incredibly smooth shave (I wanted to keep doing it again and again, but there was no beard left to shave,) and I was hooked. A few months later I bought a badger hair brush which I still have--a bit worn, but still usable.

In time the DE gave way to every new marketing gimmick that Gillette came up with--whatever it was, I bought it, believing that technology was helping me move up. I stuck with the basics of wet-shaving, however, and while I occasionally bought a can of something or other, I realized that none of these treated my face as well as the old faithful brush and cup. Every so often I'd buy a new puck, mostly Old Spice, but occasionally whatever I would see in the store, and I enjoyed my shave, with the exception of the razor, but I knew that I was using the very latest and greatest technological marvel, so it was only a matter of time before the fine art of razor R&D produced a razor that would give the perfect shave.

Three years ago Gillette produced the Fusion and I knew that with this device, the art of shaving (note: lower case,) would peak. I rushed out to buy one, and got a lousy shave, much irritation, etc., but I knew, deep down inside that it was me, not the razor. A week later, while slathering my face with antibiotics and steroid creams to quell the burning, I realized that the problem was neither me nor my technique, since I had been shaving for nearly half a century, but the Fusion itself.

The experience led to an internet search about shaving, which led to the MSNBC spot about the revival of wet shaving, and ultimately to B&B.

In the last three years, I've acquired a Merkur HD, a Merkur Slant, A Merkur Futur, and a Merkur Vision. I've also picked up two vintage Gillettes (probably identical to items I purchased for a buck back then,) a Shick injector (still in the original sealed packaging,) and in the not too distant future will treat myself to a Classic Cobra.

The perfect shave? Happens practically every day. I select from my rotation of brushes, pick a soap/cream (yes, I have all the AD issues :tongue_sm, ) select one of my razors (Feather blades,) hop into my well-lighted shower, and by the time I'm finished with my general ablutions, turn to my shaving mirror, and treat myself to a wonderful shaving experience. (BTW--a water softener really does help whip up a phenomenal lather. Worth buying it for that reason alone.)

Today is my 67th birthday, and I have been shaving for exactly 50 years. In a few minutes, I'll pick up a soap (probably Speick,) and pamper my face with a great shave.

So here's a voice across the generations, and bringing it back to the beginning of our topic: Marmotte's father (approximately my age,) clearly doesn't enjoy his shaves--it's simply a method for removing facial hair. I, on the other hand, have a Zen experience every time I shave, and you can't get that from goop out of a can.

Shaving creams aimed at the traditional (Old Spice), the medicinal (Medicated Noxzema), and the modern (cans that used some chemical reaction to heat the foam as it came out).

I forgot about that. I bought one can of Noxzema...felt like I was shaving with foamy vick vaporub. :eek:

And, yes, the "warm goo" movement. Except I was too cheap to pay extra so for a while I ran hot water over a regular can of goo...mostly worked...only two explosions*. :cool:

*not really, though I doubt I'd try it now.

I forgot about that. I bought one can of Noxzema...felt like I was shaving with foamy vick vaporub. :eek:

And, yes, the "warm goo" movement. Except I was too cheap to pay extra so for a while I ran hot water over a regular can of goo...mostly worked...only two explosions*. :cool:

*not really, though I doubt I'd try it now.

I remember trying that (hot water over can) but it took too long so I gave up on that. Too dumb to consider it might explode! Actually, I don't think there was any hope of getting it that hot.

Re Noxzema: The bad smell was easily forgiven every time I pictured the "Take it off. Take it all off" advertisement. But true, I didn't like it and probably never bought a second can.

Growing up and taking note of shaving in the 50's, there was a tv jingle for Rapid Shave, a canned goop:

the message was clear enough, and I resolved that when I started shaving, I would use Rapid Shave, because it had none of the negatives cited in the jingle. Around that time, we were driving the highways of America and I also became aware of Burma Shave through their ubiquitous signs, and I understood that this was the "greasy cream" referred to.

My father shaved with an electric, but it took him forever, I couldn't stand the sound of it, and it never really got his face smooth, so although i flirted with an electric occasionally, I stuck with my goop in the can--either Rapid Shave, Noxema, or, when I felt particularly luxurious, Old Spice.

In 1963 I joined the Navy, and one day, browsing the shelves of the Exchange, saw an Old Spice Mug, decided to give it a try--bought a brush (probably around a buck, must have been boar's hair.) The next morning I whipped up a lather, spread it on my face--noticed the warmth, the feel that my beard was being well massaged and saturated, the incredibly smooth shave (I wanted to keep doing it again and again, but there was no beard left to shave,) and I was hooked. A few months later I bought a badger hair brush which I still have--a bit worn, but still usable.

In time the DE gave way to every new marketing gimmick that Gillette came up with--whatever it was, I bought it, believing that technology was helping me move up. I stuck with the basics of wet-shaving, however, and while I occasionally bought a can of something or other, I realized that none of these treated my face as well as the old faithful brush and cup. Every so often I'd buy a new puck, mostly Old Spice, but occasionally whatever I would see in the store, and I enjoyed my shave, with the exception of the razor, but I knew that I was using the very latest and greatest technological marvel, so it was only a matter of time before the fine art of razor R&D produced a razor that would give the perfect shave.

Three years ago Gillette produced the Fusion and I knew that with this device, the art of shaving (note: lower case,) would peak. I rushed out to buy one, and got a lousy shave, much irritation, etc., but I knew, deep down inside that it was me, not the razor. A week later, while slathering my face with antibiotics and steroid creams to quell the burning, I realized that the problem was neither me nor my technique, since I had been shaving for nearly half a century, but the Fusion itself.

The experience led to an internet search about shaving, which led to the MSNBC spot about the revival of wet shaving, and ultimately to B&B.

In the last three years, I've acquired a Merkur HD, a Merkur Slant, A Merkur Futur, and a Merkur Vision. I've also picked up two vintage Gillettes (probably identical to items I purchased for a buck back then,) a Shick injector (still in the original sealed packaging,) and in the not too distant future will treat myself to a Classic Cobra.

The perfect shave? Happens practically every day. I select from my rotation of brushes, pick a soap/cream (yes, I have all the AD issues :tongue_sm, ) select one of my razors (Feather blades,) hop into my well-lighted shower, and by the time I'm finished with my general ablutions, turn to my shaving mirror, and treat myself to a wonderful shaving experience. (BTW--a water softener really does help whip up a phenomenal lather. Worth buying it for that reason alone.)

Today is my 67th birthday, and I have been shaving for exactly 50 years. In a few minutes, I'll pick up a soap (probably Speick,) and pamper my face with a great shave.

So here's a voice across the generations, and bringing it back to the beginning of our topic: Marmotte's father (approximately my age,) clearly doesn't enjoy his shaves--it's simply a method for removing facial hair. I, on the other hand, have a Zen experience every time I shave, and you can't get that from goop out of a can.

Thank you! I have to say I really enjoyed your comments and insights. I hope today's shave ranks among the best and enjoy your day. :thumbup:

Your dad is completely right. Sadly (or not :wink: ) I'm almost your dad's age. When I first started shaving the average person used a DE and a can of goo. After about a year I did try using shaving soap and a brush, I knew enough to get a pure badger brush but I didn't know enough to track down a better soap, I used William's :eek:.

I think my father, who I remember always using canned goo, first moved from shaving soap sometime in the 40's.

I went to the dark side about 20 years ago, honestly I can't remember why.

I'm so glad that I went back to DE about a year ago. I can't tell you how much money it's saved me. I can't tell you because I haven't! :lol: My Rooney 1/1/ in finest with ebony handle is arriving today! :w00t:

But I love getting up each morning and taking the few extra minutes to shave with a quality razor (Aristocrat), brush and my choice of 5-6 milled soaps.

You 'll fall in love with that Rooney...give it some time to break in

Well, at 63 I guess that makes me an old man too! Or do I need to wait another year. :001_smile

And it is correct that when I started shaving canned foam was the thing. We mostly called it "shaving cream" but I think "Gillette Foamy" was on the market even then. I did used a Williams mug now and then but that was just for variety's sake. I think the brush also came from Williams.

What was of interest to most guys my age was all the new razors that were coming out from both Schick and Gillette and the huge variety of canned shaving cream. Foam variety and cartridge razors were the hot items. My cabinet usually had two or three razors and a couple of cans of cream. DEs were where I started and it was probably a couple of years before I started experimenting with cartridges.

So we had fun with shaving back then, too!
:shaving:

And at 60 I'm still a youngster :lol:

Being 63 my experience was somewhat similar in that I started with a DE and some type of goo most likely a Gillette product. I discovered Old Spice shaving soap and had an inexpensive badger brush that I would go to on and off over the years. Yes, I also "upgraded" from one Gillette marketing ploy to the next but fortunately stopped at two blades.

As years went by the availability of DE blades disappeared from drug store shelves and I thought that they were no longer even being made. I was kind of forced to use whatever razor method was available until it was replaced by the next greatest product, but never anything with more than two blades.

I would go back and forth periodically between using shaving soap for a few years and then go back to goo for a couple of years. A couple of months ago, I decided it was time to go back to soap and discovered that my brush was in need of replacement. I decided to search on the web for a replacement and discovered that the DE world still existed and the variety of products available was greater than I had ever imagined.:w00t:

Top Bottom