What's new

AOS Straight Razors

I'm contemplating purchasing a straight razor from AOS with a lot of confidence, due to the fact TI manufactures them. I've seen some scant posts concerning them, but I want a straight up opinion of someone who uses one almost every day. I don't want to think I'm wasting money, especially since I keep seeing lots of overpriced razors being sold by the premier sites. That being said, I want to hear from some fellow B&Bers.

Last edited:
I have a Silver Wing and a Le Grelot from TI. Both are good razors, and I think I prefer them because the have a thicker shank which makes them easier to hold.

I've only seen the TI razors from AOS; they look like good forges, but I think that they would be overpriced. I've found most AOS products to be a little over the top. Also, I wouldn't count on them being shave ready. You'd almost certainly have to send them out to be honed if you don't know how to do it yourself yet.

Don

Normally I would not say anything, but recently there has been a rash of postings about TI's poor QC. I do not have any first hand knowledge of this, but I think its something you should know about before buying a $150 razor.

The members complaints are warped spine, warped grind, other stuff. Plus they generally have a reputation for mediocre scales.

Normally I would not say anything, but recently there has been a rash of postings about TI's poor QC. I do not have any first hand knowledge of this, but I think its something you should know about before buying a $150 razor.

The members complaints are warped spine, warped grind, other stuff. Plus they generally have a reputation for mediocre scales.

Hmmm. I have not seen this rash. Perhaps I missed it.

Both of my TI's had no quality problems whatsoever. I'm seriously thinking of purchasing another Le Grelot; it is great.

Don

I have a Le Grelot 3/4 to full hollow made by TI that is my very favorite shaver of all time. I also bought a TI razor from AOS (the one with the stainless steel scales) that is of equal quality. I have had no quality issues except that, depending who you buy it from, the edge may need a little touching up with a coticule or paste.

Both of my TI's had no quality problems whatsoever. I'm seriously thinking of purchasing another Le Grelot; it is great.

Don

And that's what makes me wonder....I figure that TI still has a name to uphold, too. And they risk it if they put shoddy work into the razors because AOS has their name on it.

Don

Its not a lot, maybe 5 people posting on the forums in the last month. Just something to be aware of when buying.

I don't know anything about straights, but in my opinion everything AoS sells is overpriced. Surely you can do better on the price.

Top Bottom