What's new

Hot water rinse/cold water rinse/witch hazel/ASB....which order and why?

I recall reading some tips from Mantic about a final cold water rinse not being used until after the Witch Hazel (or AS splash if alcohol based) is used. My question is, in what order should one go about the various rinses at various temperatures and why? This is what I currently do and my thinking about the process after the final pass:

Hot water rinse (to remove the shaving cream debris and re-open the pores)

Toner (currently use Nancy Boy for this but am going to the less expensive Thayers Witch Hazel soon; use this once the pores are re-opened with the previous step to kill any bacteria/gunk in the pores)

Cold water rinse (closes the pores and is soothing)

A/S balm (lock in moisturizer and soothe)

Oh yeah, what is an alum block exactly and where would it fit in here if replacing/adding to any steps???

You have the right order. After cold water rinse, I lightly pat face with towel, generously apply witch hazel, let air dry for minute, then apply just a small dollup of AS lotion to face and neck, wait a minute, then apply AS splash of day. Leaves face feeling smooth and moisturized all day.

You have the right order. After cold water rinse, I lightly pat face with towel, generously apply witch hazel, let air dry for minute, then apply just a small dollup of AS lotion to face and neck, wait a minute, then apply AS splash of day. Leaves face feeling smooth and moisturized all day.

Well I use the Toner between the hot and cold water rinses, would that make any difference?

I do it in this order:

HWR (remove lather)
CWR (close up pores & weepers)
*pat dry with towel*
Witch Hazel (tone face)
*air dry*
After Shave

1. Hot water rinse.
2. Cold water rinse (all remnants of lather should be gone by now).
3. Alum block (acts to heal small nicks, etc. and lets you know, basically, how you've screwed up, if you have). I clean my brush at this point, so as to allow time for the alum to do its thing.
4. Quick cold water rinse.
5. (Sometimes) Witch Hazel. I let it air dry, if I use it.
6. After shave (applied with wet hands, to a wet face...I have no idea why I do this, except that I heard that's how it's done). Heck, I've been shaving for over fifteen years and I never used after shave at all until I got to this forum!

I rarely use witch hazel AND aftershave together. Come to think of it, I mostly use witch hazel when either of my aftershaves (Old Spice or D.R. Harris Arlington AS Milk) would clash with the cream I just used. Purely aesthetical for me, I guess.

Hope all of that rambling contributes to the discussion in some way!

I do it in this order:

HWR (remove lather)
CWR (close up pores & weepers)
*pat dry with towel*
Witch Hazel (tone face)
*air dry*
After Shave

This is my order also. Somtimes I just use Witch hazel or just use after shave. I do like the witch hazel step because it soothes and removes dirt/oil, soap/cream scent, and leftover soap/cream.

I guess my underlying question is why you would do a cold water rinse to close your pores before you cleaned them with Witch Hazel?

Top Bottom