What's new

Easter surprise...

Hello all.
Been doing the DE thing for the last couple of months now, having more fun shaving than in many years.. And getting better shaves.
I picked up a 38C to start and it took some getting used to, coming from primarily a Mach 3 (cost of replacement blades had been pissing me off for years) and various disposables.

Got some eduction here about prep and technique. Bought an entry level badger brush and have been using mostly Proraso soap (green) and the cream a couple of times. As well as Creamo and a cheap soap I picked up a Wally World. I'm patient and thorough with prepping. Plan on trying some others soon, though I do like the Proraso soft soap and face lathering technique quite a bit. Several blades in the mix too, Feathers and Astras on deck now.

The weight of the Barber pole was the first thing that struck me and took several shaves adjusting to, and didn't think I would for awhile.
I also picked up an HD thinking I'd like the shorter lighter weight handle, but ended up preferring the heft and length of the 38C, and the resultant shave it provides. It knocked down more of my relatively heavy beard on the first pass, on my somewhat sensitive skin. Can't really deal with ATG very well on most of my face.

Neither of these in my limited experience did I think as particularly aggressive. I do understand the heads are the same.
So much for the background...

Well, my mother came over for Easter (as mothers do), and as requested bought along an old adjustable Gillette (1964 according to code? J4) I spied in her bathroom drawer some time back before I started DE shaving that had been rolling around in there for years (shamefully neglected as it turns out; who knew). Better than Ebay too. Free is good! :biggrin:
Better yet, she also surprised me with a Super Speed (1958 D1) she also had stashed away. Wow! Both in nice condition too.
Well of course I proceeded to try them out, uncharacteristically shaving on the weekend, twice no less.

proxy.php

They both provided very nice shaves.
I tried the adjustable first having anticipated it and thinking I'd prefer it's heft over the SS.

I loaded a new Feather and dialed it in low to start (3) and was surprised by it's lack of bite, and immediately dialed it to 5. And ended on 6 before the shave was over.
Man that sucker was smooth and forgiving. It was very comfortable, giving a very nice shave I could live with from this point on.

Today I took the same blade and put it in the SS. To my surprise it was a little more aggressive than the adjustable, and I didn't like the smaller handle quite as much since becoming accustomed to the 38C.

After shaving half my face on the first pass I swapped the blade into the adjustable (on 6) and did the other half. Popped it up to 7 and it still felt a bit tamer and cutting very well. Jockeyed back and forth a couple times between the two. The SS is a decent shaver, but ended up preferring the heftier smoother feeling adjustable.

Compared to the Merkur, well the jury is a little confused. I'll have to go back to it tomorrow and see. My hunch is I'll like it better. I like the solid feel and the smooth uninterrupted design of the head. Though the butterfly TTO is easy as pie to change blades, but does feel less substantial.. Still it's well made and proven its quality having lasted all these years, though not used the last 30, probably more.

As far as aggressiveness goes the adjustable is definitely less (but haven't tried it opened up yet). The SS doesn't seem that far off from the barber pole. Of course these are my impressions and YMMV.

My recommendation would be to give these old jewels a try if you get the chance, you won't be disappointed.

Cheers

Last edited:
Good observations. On par with my experience. :001_smile
Both are good razors on their own merits. Do you think you will try any other razors or are you content with these?

at one point I owned both of these razors...very well made and make for great shaves...very forgiving and great for new users...sometimes I wish I still had them, but once I got my Merkur 1904 I never touched either of them again, so i traded them off to someone who will actually get some mileage out of them...anyways...great razors, they'll be around after jesus comes back too...

Good observations. On par with my experience. :001_smile
Both are good razors on their own merits. Do you think you will try any other razors or are you content with these?

I'll probably try some others... The novelty hasn't worn off yet.
Better brush will probably be the next thing though. And some other soaps, creams etc., and blades.
As hobbies go, at least it' a relatively cheap one. :smile:

I'll probably try some others... The novelty hasn't worn off yet.
Better brush will probably be the next thing though. And some other soaps, creams etc., and blades.
As hobbies go, at least it' a relatively cheap one. :smile:

HA! Thats what you say now. :biggrin:

Relatively cheap, heh? Well let's see...you want a better brush? How about those other Gillettes? What soaps or creams do you think you should try? Aftershaves? EDT's? Now you may want a BETTER better brush? Get the idea? :biggrin: Cheap relatively to what? :lol:

I tell my wife I could collect vintage sports cars, for instance!

That's more where I'm coming from.
Compared to motorcycles, a good mountain bike and high end audio, we're talkin' relative peanuts here.
I doubt seriously I'll be compelled to spend 200 bucks on a brush. I'm thinking the 60 range for something decent.
Open for suggestions... :biggrin:
I also eventually want one of those small Merkur travel razors (or maybe the vintage Gillette travel I came across). I like to travel very light and compact, especially when heading out on motorcycle trips.

Yeah, it'll add up a bit. :wink:

You're super speed could be a TV razor- does it have horizontal lines on it or just vertical? If only vertical, its a TV variant, a razor that corresponded to Gillette advertising on television. they are a bit more rare and sought after, especially if you can find the red case that went with it.l

You're super speed could be a TV razor- does it have horizontal lines on it or just vertical? If only vertical, its a TV variant, a razor that corresponded to Gillette advertising on television. they are a bit more rare and sought after, especially if you can find the red case that went with it.l

It has horizontal and vertical lines on the TTO knob and vertical only on the longer mid-handle... Looks like it's probably just an old run-of-the-mill SS. :a36:

** After just checking out a link from AsylumGuido on Super Speeds, I belive you are correct about it being a '58 (my birth year BTW) TV Special. Thanks for the
heads up! http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=732565#post732565 And thanks Guido.

Last edited:
yup, looks like a TV Special from your pic. a fine shaver for sure, and just a bit more rare too. great score.

and you are right, $200 on a brush is crazy so you are better off to buy one for $60. But let me ask you: what happens when you now what to buy 6-7 brushes that are $60 each??

do not take shaving related ADs lightly, and curse your kind mother for enabling you when you are at your weakest!!

Top Bottom