What's new

I'd Like To Buy My First Saftey Razor. Which One Would Suit Me?

Hi I'm in my twenties, and I've wanted a double edge safety razor since I was a young boy at the age of 14. I've wondered where I could buy one for years but never seen them in stores so I gave up, and kept using the disposable cartridge razors like most people up until now. The thought of double edge safety razors recently popped up in my mind and I decided to check & see if I could find them online... To my surprise I ended up finding youtube videos about them, stores, and a lot of ebay new/used goodies.

So well I don't know anything about these double edge razors other than what I've read or seen in youtube videos since I'm a newbie. So I obviously need some help to set myself on the right path for life. What I can tell you is what I'd like to do with one and what my current facial qualities are. I have sensitive skin, and facial hair that isn't soft nor coarse to touch. I guess my facial hair is something in between. My skin usually dries up 20 minutes after I shower and thus I usually have to moisturize it after wards with cream. That doesn't stop me from getting a nice shave done. I don't get ingrown hairs, but on rare occasions I do get small reddish irritations. I'd more than likely attribute that to not applying enough after shave lotion, or none when I'm in a hurry.

The reason I want a double edge safety razor is to get some more precise shaves and shapes on my facial hair such as perfect straight lines which are hard for me to achieve with disposable plastic cartridge razors. Also for some soft baby skin appeal on other areas. The following pictures display the kinds of shaves I'd like to perform on my face. Many of which I currently do right now in long sessions with my plastic razors since it's hard to shape hair with them.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

As you can see I'm not asking for much. I'd like to also cut my forehead hairline straight as well like those pictures. By the way my hair comes out straight not curly. I am tanned in complexion due to my latin heritage. I am in a need a double edge safety razor that can do the job well. I've seen some on some sites that look like they're protected by some beards grill combs like this one:

proxy.php

I don't know if those kinds of comb type looking double edge razors would shape my facial hair well. I have no idea if these are meant for men who want to cut hair at a distance or for close calls like straight lines which is what I need. I could be wrong maybe it does both? I believe that is a Merkur model. I currently reside in Canada and would like to order one. The only shavers I've seen that look ok, are the Merkur heavy duty which should be the one above and the Parker 91R at www.menessentials.com which is located in Canada. I'm willing to ebay it or order elsewhere. I just want something that would work right for me. I can't base everything on what I see because I don't even know if it would do what I need it to, which is why I need your advice. You guys know more than I do. I'm willing to spend about $60 max for one to start with.

So can someone recommend a good model razor that would last me a long time or lifetime which would be good for the uses I need it for as I've described in this thread? I NEED MY FIRST DOUBLE EDGE SAFETY RAZOR... AND I'D LIKE FOR IT TO BE A GOOD EXPERIENCE. I also need someone to recommend some blades. I'll be shaving shapes like the pics above on my beard, forehead line, and sometimes I'll be shaving it completely off like a baby's skin. By the way I also need it to do proper lines under my nose and not get in the way. I'd like to see everything I'm doing unlike the plastic shavers that block all view.

Thank you for your help and time.

Last edited:
Are you interested in trying vintage razors (made from 1900 to 1970), or do you insist on buying a new one?

Are you interested in trying vintage razors (made from 1900 to 1970), or do you insist on buying a new one?

Thank you for writing back sir, I'd like to use a new one. Once I get the hang of what's going on and figure the techniques out I'll invest in a vintage one down the road. My goal is to one day possibly have a two or three set collection. I want to get one for my father as well as a gift but only after I buy a new one and check out the quality. I know he used to shave with double edge razors way back in his day. I remember being a small 5 or 9 year old kid and seeing his brush set too! But yes, a new one would suit well for now. I know the old ones are still of high quality from what I've read. But new would be what I'm aiming at right now.

Last edited:
Thank you all for all of your replies and time. More advice would be appreciated. I appreciate the time you spent to write it. I think I'm going to get a 'MERKUR HEAVY DUTY 34C" model with some "Derby Double-Edge Safety Razor Blades" to start. I'll probably use the blades in my hand to cut straight lines for the time being. Than I'll move up to a straight razor for fine lines once I can find out the best brands. But don't straight razors or shavettes require having a belt and all of those sharpening tools?

Last edited:
Get the merkur HD 34C for shaving your face.
If you do decide to get vintage razor, you could always get a wedge blade like a rolls razor, they come with all the sharpening tools. It has a simple mechanism to sharpen and hone the edge with no sharpening skills required, just push and pull the bar back and forward. The blade is just attached to the handle and exposed, making it easy to see the edge for shaping hair. They sell for about $20 on ebay second hand, you just have to be careful you get one without damage or excess wear. I know you don;t want vintage, but these would be great for doing edges and shaping hair as you can clearly see the edge of the razor when using it.

http://www.geocities.com/rodeodrive/3696/Intros02.html

edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRdf3pT_hTE

Last edited:
i would personally go for the Muhle R89 (newer version), its the most user friendly razor around, for for trimmer hair, the best is still a shavette, which is a straight that accepts DE blades, or an injector,

i would personally go for the Muhle R89 (newer version), its the most user friendly razor around, for for trimmer hair, the best is still a shavette, which is a straight that accepts DE blades, or an injector,

Can a shavette use the same blades like Merkur blades which are for use witha double edge razor? Or are shavette replacement blades a kind of their own which I'd have to specifically buy for it?

Thanks

I agree or perhaps an old type gillette, those things will make you look like a baby boy like you never shaved before.

Thank you all for all of your replies and time. More advice would be appreciated. I appreciate the time you spent to write it. I think I'm going to get a 'MERKUR HEAVY DUTY 34C" model with some "Derby Double-Edge Safety Razor Blades" to start.
That would be a good choice, tho if you need a longer handle I might go with the Merkur 23C. I will also second the idea of a Shavette. Either way, both the Merkurs are fine and yield an excellent shave. Many of the shavettes take a standard DE blade, broken in half. The Merkur Shavette does. Some also take a full blade. If you buy from a barber supply, most shavettes are actually fairly inexpensive.

I'd also suggest you show those pix to your barber next time you get a cut and ask him/her for advice on achieving that look. Best of luck!

Last edited:
My goal is to one day possibly have a two or three set collection.

Very Funny! That's what I thought too. Now, I'm up to 18 plus two I'll be holding for a "friend".

There's this thing called RAD (Razor Acquisition Disorder). Just wait, it'll find you!

In the mean time, for a new razor, Merkur 34C is a good choice.

The 34C is a good choice. It will let you cut nice clean straight lines, just be careful at the edges of the beard area. That Merkur mustache razor may also help later on, but you could just go for the shavette at that point, or get a full out straight.

The Rolls is an interesting option.

Top Bottom