What's new

Resto guys

Can anyone recommend any tricks for cleaning up the knurled part of the shank (I don't know if there is a term for that part)?

I've tried a folded piece of sandpaper and I've tried running a Dremmel cutoff disc (by hand) back and forth through the grooves, but I can't seem to get them as clean as I've seen others do.

Anybody have the secret?

Those are called Jimps. my technique is as follows.

I use a dremel and a wire brush, usually steel, but Brass also works and wont scratch. Before I run the wire brush though, I saturate the grooves with Turtle Wax rubbing compound then use a hard felt wheel with my dremel to work it in.

After the wire wheel. I go back to the hard felt wheel and compound and a faily high speed (middle speed on dremel) and press the wheel in fairly hard (until the wheel almost stops becuase of pressure) a few grooves at a time.

This is what I have found to work the best for me. Others may have better techniques or processes though.

I will caution you though that sometimes they just don't get clean and shiny, usually becuase of pitting in the grooves.

Top Bottom