What's new

My new B&B Essential Brush

I put this in the another post but I wanted the opinion of everyone here.

Shaved this morn with it.
It did lose at least 12 to 15 hairs.

Worked so well though. I had enough for 8 passes.
I only shaved 4 passes but I had to rinse out soooo much soap. It was a little scratchy though, not used to that. That part might get old. I will have to see how the scratchy thing works out in the long run. Is there a brush that works as well as this one at making a lather and having a dense backbone while being softer on the tips? (other than the Shavemac D-01)

that is quite a few hairs to be losing but if it was first time it should stop within a few uses, maybe the loose hairs were never brushed out

as far as softer brushes and still dense brushes the Rooney would be my choice perhaps a 3/1, however if you use that brush every day it may take a few weeks or even longer but the tips should feel and get softer over time

I missed this thread a few weeks ago, but as I have a BBE en route, the subject is on my mind... :biggrin:

So far as the shedding goes, IIRC one of the cost-control measures on this brush was that the manufacturer skipped a usual step of combing out all the loose hairs that are typically in a finished brush. So, Joel and company announced these would shed some (at first), but that shedding was the result of the skipped step, and those same hairs would've otherwise been on the manufacturer's shop floor.

I've been using mine for at least a couple of weeks and it hasn't shed much, if at all, since the first few days.

I received a BBE on New Year's Eve. I only lost 2 or 3 hairs the first time I used it, and its been solid ever since.

The scratchiness does go away after it gets broken in. Give it about a month or so.

MIne got really soft when I started shaving with Musgo Real. I guess the lanolin in the cream had some effect on the badger hair.

Just keep maintaining it and it will be a great performer for years to come.

Excellent news.

I should've footstomped more clearly in my original post that the shedding stops quickly. I admit I didn't go back to look, and it also might be the case that I'm remembering the announcements for version 1.0 of the brush. Regardless, whether it sheds at first or not, the shedding stops quickly and the brush becomes what all the reports confirm: a winner that I'm very happy to add to my (selectively downsized) team.

I'm also glad to hear the scratchiness diminishes. I've become a fan of softer brushes lately, but I was willing to trade that preference to get this brush. Now I get the whole enchillada! Sweet!

Last edited:
Top Bottom