What's new

Old School Japanese aftershaves...

I am considering doing up some sample kits of some of the wonderful (very) old school aftershaves still being sold here in Japan. In the land where there's a Tosuke straight-razor wielding barber on every corner and the highest per capita population of elderly in the world you can bet there's some good old school juice to be had....ohhh the burn! :biggrin: Before I go crazy hitting up the local drug stores I wanted to ask two questions:

1) Would there be any interest in such a sampler? I'm thinking anywhere from 5-10 products and will do it all at cost (ie. I'm not trying to make any money off this, just think it would be nice for those of us living in 'foreign' countries to make otherwise unavailable products attainable for members).

2) What kind of containers do people generally use to decant aftershaves into? I'm thinking plastic would be safer from a shipping standpoint - any opinions on material/size of sample containers?

I am willing to first buy a bottle of each of these aftershaves and test them out myself (I don't want to send anything that truly sucks to anybody) and then re-purchase a second bottle of each of the keepers to be decanted. I am not sure what the price would work out to be (depends on the size of the containers I get I guess) but most aftershaves here run in the $8 to $15 dollar range.

Warning: Most of the aftershaves I've smelled here are not the type you'd want to wear before heading out to night club to troll for chicks...as mentioned they tend to be old world Japan type scents (whatever that means.) :wink: Alright...I'll just say it: most Japanese aftershaves are what some might consider 'old man' scents (like many of the classic European aftershaves). Pictures are just examples only - I'm not sure what I could actually get my hands on or if I'm even gonna do this. Any and all opinions welcome. :biggrin:

PS: Aftershave is referred to as 'Aftershave Lotion' in Japan as seen on the labels (it isn't really 'lotion')

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I think it's a great idea. The only thing to consider is alcohol in the product, I think customs doesn't like it, depending where you go. Considering Japan's stick laws on alcohol, if there's any in there, it must be in a very small quantity...

For my part, I would be more interested in a shaving soap wedge than after shave. However, great idea mate!

I think it's a great idea. I have a couple of the ones pictured, but the others are, well, foreign to me. :biggrin: I'd love to sample that stuff.

I wouldn't worry much about customs in this case. Just make sure the sample bottles are small and you mark "Lotion samples" on the customs form.

I think it's an excellent idea. I was stationed for 18 mos. in Japan (Okinawa) from 1970 to '72 and always got a chuckle from some of the "creative" English names thought up by Japanese companies. I had to laugh at a few of the ones you show in your post. Indeed, the labels alone are almost worth the price of admission: Eroica, Gatsby After Shave Water--they almost missed the boat: "Gatsby, the Great After Shave Water" would be even more memorable (is that the sound of F. Scott Fitzgerald spinning in his grave?)--and my personal fave, Mandom (what is that, the scent of a manly condom?).

Last edited:
This is a wonderful idea. I would likely be interested, if shipping wasn't too much. Thanks for the offer!

What stores do you normally find these in?

Pretty much any larger drug store will have at least a few of these on hand - I can get most of these in the 'Server' drug store just near my house. If you are in Japan you can also find all of these on the rakuten website.

As far as the alcohol shipping restrictions, how does that work exactly? Is it the country you're sending from or the receiving country that could pose a problem? I could of course say that I am shipping 'shampoo' or something when I send them from here but would they be confiscated or something once they reached the states? Definitely something to consider I guess eh! :redface:

Pretty much any larger drug store will have at least a few of these on hand - I can get most of these in the 'Server' drug store just near my house. If you are in Japan you can also find all of these on the rakuten website.

As far as the alcohol shipping restrictions, how does that work exactly? Is it the country you're sending from or the receiving country that could pose a problem? I could of course say that I am shipping 'shampoo' or something when I send them from here but would they be confiscated or something once they reached the states? Definitely something to consider I guess eh! :redface:

Thanks for the info. The larger chain drug stores are about the only place I've found any products so far.

I'd love to try some of those and would definitely be interested, if there wouldn't be any problems shipping them out.

I would be interested in a few as well. You piqued my interest...I have a few Japanese stores in my town and I may stop in to see what they have.

I'm interested too if the shipping costs to Oz can be contained to reasonable levels. I don't mind waiting if it has to come via rowboat.

Nice selection. Long ago I tried the Valcan and Bravas, and I remember that they were pretty good. I just finished working through some samplers of Auslese that my wife picked up for me on a business trip. I thought that it was excellent. This would be a cool way to introduce people to the Japanese barbershop experience.

Top Bottom