What's new

Motorcycle battery question

Two questions actually. I think I know the answer to the first one, but I want to make sure.

1. When I parked my motorcycle inside my friends garage last fall I left the battery in it until January. The garage never went below 0 degrees Celsius. Since taking the battery out I bought a battery charger. It can switch between 12V 2A and 12V 6A. I have been charging it on 12V 2A. On the first charge the needle stayed about the same. It was a 30 min charge and I didn't want to overcharge it. Every charge since then it has dipped a little more. Does that mean the battery is dead, or might the charger be faulty? I do not have a volt meter.

2. If I were to replace the battery, would a 12V 6A battery work? I only ask because that is what the local Canadian Tire has for $29.99. Not sure where else I would get a motorcycle battery without it being way over-priced. I am pretty sure the 6A is just how powerful it is.

Oh, by the way, the engine is only a 250, so it is not big.

My charger needle will drop to zero throughout the charge - zero being fully charged. Possible that your meter is doing the same. Depending on how much your battery discharged over the winter, you may need longer than 30 mins on the charger.

If you want to see if your battery is pooched, throw it in the bike and see if you can get the bike to start.

If the battery has caps on it take them off, you can charge it for about 12 hrs this way on the lowest setting, just watch that the water level is not low and throw it back in the bike, If no go the battery is no good. If so find a battery store, return it for core refund and duplicate battery that you had. Happy riding!

If the battery has caps on it take them off, you can charge it for about 12 hrs this way on the lowest setting, just watch that the water level is not low and throw it back in the bike, If no go the battery is no good. If so find a battery store, return it for core refund and duplicate battery that you had. Happy riding!

Exactly what I was going to say...Enjoy the ride.

If you go long periods without riding, I'd recommend getting a battery tender. It will help maintain your battery at a steady float charge.

Top Bottom