What's new

horse racing

I'm curious if anyone here is into horse racing and other track betting? It seems quite interesting, and I've taken a look at a few race programs, but find a lot of it confusing.

Being from Kentucky, I have spent a good share of my time and money at the track. When I was attending the UK campus in Lexington, during the months of April and October, it was mighty hard to not blow classes and head out to Keeneland Race Track and soak up some suds and atmosphere.

As far as understanding the race program, it is kind of a learn as you go affair. But like betting on putts, it doesn't take you long to become good at it or out of money.:lol: I guess you could call it a costly education!:lol:

What would you like to know? I'm happy to help. And betting on horses needn't be expensive. A $2 bet gives you the excitement of having a vested interest in a horse during the 45 minutes or so between one race and the next. Stack that up into a full day at the races, and maybe, given bad luck, you've spent $20 for a day's entertainment (mint juleps extra :smile:). Keeneland is my recommendation for best track on the planet, by the way. :thumbup1:

Any tips for betting? Should somebody new bet conservatively, i.e. to show (is that the right term for coming in first, second, or third)? Any advice on ready programs? It seems like there can be a lot of info there, what seems most important? Thanks.

Any tips for betting? Should somebody new bet conservatively, i.e. to show (is that the right term for coming in first, second, or third)? Any advice on ready programs? It seems like there can be a lot of info there, what seems most important? Thanks.

I tend to look at performance in past races and, secondarily, times in recent training sessions. Of course, all of that can go out the window if track conditions are off. My wife, on the other hand, enjoys going out the the paddock to look at the horses just before they hit the track. If they seem "eager," she places a bet.

Unsure? Go for that show bet. Little payoff, but winning is fun, after all. Want to up you chances of a larger win? Try a two or three horse exacta box (two of those horses in win and place, any order = cash). Most of all, have fun!

Top Bottom