What's new

Diamond lapping film vs Alum oxide lapping film

I much prefer the diamond film! It costs more, but may well be worth it if you obsesss about such things!

Same razor (Tornblom) first honed on a new sheet of 1um alum oxide lapping film 200x

Then after seeing that dissapointing finish, I went to a new sheet of 1um diamond lapping film 200x

Same razor, same magnification, different film, different results.

What seems to happen, especially when the alum lapping sheets are new, is the particles seem to easily come off the film and form a slurry, leaving those striations you see.

Seraphim,

I have a few questions. Where do you get these? Everything I could find on line are for larger industrial sized orders. How long do they last and what grits are applicable to straights? What do you think is the best way to mount them?

Thank You

Seraphim,

I have a few questions. Where do you get these? Everything I could find on line are for larger industrial sized orders. How long do they last and what grits are applicable to straights? What do you think is the best way to mount them?

Thank You

Do a search for "diamond lapping film" and all your answers will be questioned!

I need a microscope! I used the 6, 3, and 1µm, the went on to some 0.5 µm AlO. I'd love to see how good a job I did, cause it feels AWESOME!

I much prefer the diamond film! It costs more, but may well be worth it if you obsesss about such things!

Same razor (Tornblom) first honed on a new sheet of 1um alum oxide lapping film 200x

Then after seeing that dissapointing finish, I went to a new sheet of 1um diamond lapping film 200x

Same razor, same magnification, different film, different results.

What seems to happen, especially when the alum lapping sheets are new, is the particles seem to easily come off the film and form a slurry, leaving those striations you see.

I just finished using diamond lapping film for the first time tonight. I was able to put a wicked sharp edge on 4 new razors, including 2 Wostenholm wedges.

Early in my honing days (3 months ago) I purchased a 3 micron DMT plate and paddle strop for pastes on a recomendation from other member that it would give great results without breaking the bank. On full hollow ground razors, I could get a decent shave, but not great. The razor was plenty sharp, but not smooth. As for honing a wedge and getting a comfortable shave, forget about it.

Fast forward a few months, and after buying a new World Master (look familiar Seraphim?) the seller tossed in a sheet of each 6/3/1 micron film. Tonight I whooped some serious razor butt. The full hollows never saw it coming, and the wedges went down without much fight. I am seriously excited about my shave in the morning!! I'm finnaly able to put a mirror like edge on my razor and I don't have to send them out anymore. I'm sold on the film, and I'll be buying a good stock in the near future.

As for my DMT....It's a good base to secure my lapping film :w00t:

Dave

Top Bottom