What's new

Great Way to Add a Couple Shaves to the Week

If you're like me, you take any opportunity you can to enjoy a good shave. Once a day facial shaves however are generally so close that morning and evening shaves are just plain impractical. To be completely honest, I don't normally have very much stubble even 24-36 hours post shave.

Then today, I finally shamed myself into doing it. After months of wondering, and talking myself out of it, I finally broke down and shaved my head with a Gem Micromatic (and Williams soap). I didn't require a transfusion or paramedics when I was done so I'll count it as a successful go. However I must say, I found it very strange and very different than a face shave. Half of it was done behind my back where I didn't have much of a look at what was going on and was only guessing really at the blade angle. Funny I used to do this with a M3 in the shower and it took about five minutes but the results were nowhere near what I got today with the Gem. I took it slow and easy though and no harm done. End result BBS on my dome and only a couple amputated moles floating in the sink. :eek: It may take a spell to get the technique down there's also a lot more peaks, knots, etc. on my spud so that adds an extra level of difficulty. It did feel weird though and may take some getting used to but hey it's a couple more shaves a week so I'm in. :thumbup: Also finally broke down and bought some Witch Hazel (Dickenson's to be exact). Post shave I slathered it generously about my face and cabeza. The effect was fantastic. I must admit however that the smell immediately brought to mind a new pair of swim fins or the inside of a tire store. Not necessarily a bad smell, just kind of different.

I BBS'd my head with a M3 for quite a while. It would be quite the chore with a SE/DE. Props to you sir.

Good thing I'm not a head shaver, I'd have to try it now as well. :biggrin:
I've been using Dickinson's for a little over a year and have never really gotten over the scent. It always made me think that if a vanilla bean could vomit, that's what it would smell like. I just ran to have a a niff, and now that you planted the idea in my head, it does have a rubbery scent to it. Good thing it doesn't last long:rolleyes:

I just picked up some Dickinson's last week and, to me, the smell is exactly like raw bacon at room temperature.

Nice going on the SE dome fleecing!

About adding shaves . . . since I've started wet shaving, I've paid a lot more attention to the closeness of people's shaves. I've been noticing many of the actors on the shows I watch have a constant, very light stubble goatee.

So . . . I've been thinking of shaving my cheeks and possibly neck in the A.M. and my goatee area in the evening. I get good enough shaves now that 24 hours doesn't have much stubble, so I think I could pull this off pretty well and get to shave 2 times/day :thumbup1:

Anybody else do anything like this?

Yes, it does take quite a bit longer compared to disposables. I usually throw in a good CD when I include my dome in the routine.

But I can't wait for the high heat of summer to use my my Momma Bear's Rosemary Mint up top for the ultimate cooling experience.:thumbup1:

So after my most excellent score of VDH Glycerine soap, I got home and was anxious to give it a test run. But of course, give the dome another couple passes. This time I used my Gillette Slim Adjustable (dialed down to 5 for safety sake) worked like a champ. I think the Slim Adjustable will be my full time dome razor and my two single edges will be used on my face. After the shave it was Dickenson's Witch Hazel and some Pinaud Clubman Bay Rum very nice indeed and my spud has never been smoother. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom