What's new

Newbie from Canada

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of getting a straight razor but I need your advice. :wink:

How about:

1- Pre-Sharpened DOVO Black-Star Straight Razor with Pakkawood Handle 5/8 from Fendrihan.
http://www.fendrihan.com/presharpened-dovo-blackstar-straight-razor-with-pakkawood-handle-p-302.html

2- Streich-Riemen Loom Leather Strop...This is an abrasive strop that I need. Right?
http://www.fendrihan.com/streichriemen-loom-leather-strop-p-516.html

3- Illinois Razor Strop Co. 361 Hanging Razor Strop
http://www.fendrihan.com/illinois-razor-strop-hanging-razor-strop-p-568.html

I'm thinking of using the straight razor on weekends only and use my DE for the weekdays.
Will this cover everything that I need or do I have too much? I read the interactice guide on B&B but I'm still confuse...
I already have my brush & soap.

Any comments or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Marc

Yes this would work, you have a spare leather surface (or two if you count the reverse of the illionois strop).

You need one razor and one clean leather surface for daily shaving. A canvas is a plus, but many don't use it much and still have good results. For maintenance of the edge (to keep it sharp whenever it dulls a bit) you need something more abrasive. The loom strop is one option which is pretty good.

Yes this would work, you have a spare leather surface (or two if you count the reverse of the illionois strop).

You need one razor and one clean leather surface for daily shaving. A canvas is a plus, but many don't use it much and still have good results. For maintenance of the edge (to keep it sharp whenever it dulls a bit) you need something more abrasive. The loom strop is one option which is pretty good.

Hi Gugi,

This might sound like a stupid question but what do you mean by "one razor suface" ? Do I use the "abrasive strope" and the leather/canvas every day? Or I use the abrasive once in a while? What's a loom strop?

Marc

Hi Gugi,

This might sound like a stupid question but what do you mean by "one razor suface" ? Do I use the "abrasive strope" and the leather/canvas every day? Or I use the abrasive once in a while? What's a loom strop?

Marc
Marc, it's not 'razor surface' but 'leather surface' and that's what it means, the surface of a piece of leather :)
You need to strop on nonabrasive leather surface between shaves and you use abrasive surface (pasted leather, pasted canvas, pasted balsa, pasted paper, or a hone) when the razor looses a bit of sharpness.
the yellow paste from dovo is non abrasive, the ones that are abrasive contain usually diamonds, chromium oxide, or few other similar things.
loom strop is the design of the strop in your second item, the third one is called hanging strop, and there are 'paddle strops' where the leather rests on a firm surface.
These are not stupid questions, there's new terminology that may get in the way of understanding what's important.

Last edited:
Marc, it's not 'razor surface' but 'leather surface' and that's what it means, the surface of a piece of leather :)
You need to strop on nonabrasive leather surface between shaves and you use abrasive surface (pasted leather, pasted canvas, pasted balsa, pasted paper, or a hone) when the razor looses a bit of sharpness.
the yellow paste from dovo is non abrasive, the ones that are abrasive contain usually diamonds, chromium oxide, or few other similar things.
loom strop is the design of the strop in your second item, the third one is called hanging strop, and there are 'paddle strops' where the leather rests on a firm surface.
These are not stupid questions, there's new terminology that may get in the way of understanding what's important.

So this mean I don't really need both strope that I have listed.
I can use the Hanging Razor Strop and buy the abrasive cream. Right?

Thank you so much for the info.

Marc

Last edited:
You are going to want one strop that "bare" .. no abrasive pastes anywhere near it. This will be your daily strop used for maintaining your edge.

Having a pasted strop is useful for touch ups when you feel that the edge is getting less sharp (bit of tugging / pulling) and the daily strop doesn't bring it back. A pasted strop can be a hanging, loom, paddle, etc, depending on your preference.

Cheers,

Rick

So this mean I don't really need both strope that I have listed.
I can use the Hanging Razor Strop and buy the abrasive cream. Right?

Thank you so much for the info.

Marc

correct, i believe you can use the abrasive compound either on the reverse side of the leather, or if not for sure on the reverse side of the canvas and use this for touchups.
you have to put really little, just a shaddow basically and you need to keep the strop tight and the touch light, or you are likely to dull the razor instead of sharpening it.
loom or paddle strop is a bit more forgiving in this respect because it's not prone to give dude to releasing the tension.

Top Bottom