What's new

Newbie heading to Chicago need advice on first time kit

T

traizen

Hey guys,

The gf suprised me by wanting to go to Chicago for the weekend (pretty good drive - leaving tonight) I had been thinking into getting into real shaving and I figure while I'm in a place that has two shops nearby (Merz and C.O. Bigelow) I may as well pick up what I need!

What I need from you guys is this - for a complete beginniner (have always used MAch 3 or Fusions) what would you recommend as far as a razor (I am willing to try a safety razor- not a straight), creams and soaps from these stores?

I figure I will be able to smell the creams/soaps I may like - I have no real budget as I would like to have a starter pack that lets me have a good feel for differnt blades, soaps, creams.

My grows quick but is not very thick, and I tend to always have a goatee or jawline beard, so something to help with trimming would be great. I get razor burn if I go against the grain with how I shave now.

I'll be able to check this post via my phone and I should not be in Chicago until some time tomorrow - so please guys help a newbie out!

At minimum I think I want.
a. Badger Brush
b. Saftery DE razor
c. at least 1-2 types of soap/cream
d. stand for the brush and razor.

Please add as you see fit!

Well you will be able to find what you need there: however I strongly recommend that you read the stickies on the forum here and do a little research before you go full in and buy your stuff. I guarantee you will be happier and spend less money in the long run....well, at least until the Ad's kick in.:smile:

best I know there is a Truefitt and Hill in chicago...so i would definitely set aside $65.00 for a shave there...plus their products are top notch...

Make sure you get a badger brush, I started with a few boar brushes and fought to make good lather. The badger brush was a big improvement along with a big cup. I bought a $1.99 cappacino cup at Walmart, almost 5" dia, this allowed for larger swirls when mixing up some lather. My two boar brushes, which were cheap Burma and Burt's Beeswax ceramic handle models saw zero action after getting a good badger brush.

At minimum I think I want.
a. Badger Brush Tweezerman Badger Brush $13 at Amazon (Good Starter)
b. Saftery DE razor Gillette Super Speed or Ajustable Slim
c. at least 1-2 types of soap/cream Mama Bear's Soap/ Proraso Cream
d. stand for the brush and razor./ The Best deal you can find on the Web.
Ok, OK:thumbup:

Definately pick-up some Proraso cream, (C.O. Bigelow) Enjoy and Happy Shaving!

Last edited:
Top Bottom