What's new

Small crack in Chubby handle....

Hiya,

I have a Simpsons chubby 2 super which is about 3 or 4 years old. The top of the handle where the bristles go in has a small crack (2mm) from where it has been knocked against the side of a shave mug while loading up the brush.

Have you seen this before on any brushes? Should I (and how would I e.g. epoxy glue) fix it? If I don't fix it could it be something that may get bigger (no more knocks on the mug of course :)

Any advice would be appreciated. :smile:

Is there any risk in the crack opening up further? If not then I wouldn't worry.

If its only 2mm the crack cannot be "opened" with a scalpel to insert some adhesive then it might be worth a try otherwise you might just make it worse by trying a repair.

If it is just a surface crack then you might be able to polish it out to reduce visibility.

I don't think hitting the brush against a mug can cause that. That usually happens either if the brush is dropped on a hard surface like a tile floor or the flaw was already there under the surface and it has slowly been getting worse. I would keep a close eye on it to see if it gets larger. If not I wouldn't worry about it if it does you might try some epoxy to fill it.

I have heard of this happening on other Simpson brushes. If it were mine I would carefully apply some waterproof clear opoxy glue over the crack. That should seal it from any moisture seeping through as well as bond it to prevent the crack from spreading further.If you can ,get some glue into the crack, maybe use a toothpick to push it in. I would use a small clamp to help the bonding process once the glue is applied. I doubt hitting it against the side of a mug could cause this. I think the mug would break long before you could hit it hard enough to cause a crack in the brush handle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom