What's new

Not-so-fresh-faced Newb

T

Tinyfolk

While looking up 80s rap group The Fat Boys I happened upon this forum, specifically a thread about a different kind of Fat Boy. Despite it not being what I was looking for, my curiosity is piqued! I'm a 24 year old just finishing up grad school and applying to Real Jobs and would looove to be able to shave for interviews (and hopefully for work, eventually) without tearing up my face like I usually do.

Up until now my strategy has been to grind away at my face with an electric razor until my face was naked and raw and then not shave again until i had enough stubble built up that it didn't hurt anymore. Which isn't really so much a strategy as it is declaring defeat.

Suggestions as to what to look for in a first razor, blades, soap, etc? Where to get them?

Thanks for stumbling by, welcome!

You can check out what's for sale in the BST forum (click on 'forums' at the top and scroll down to Buy/Sell/Trade). These will probably be the best razors for the money. West coast shaving as a great sampler pack, as well as good deals on soaps and creams. I got a cheap brush on amazon, and I'm waiting for a cheap silver tip (supposedly better quality) from ebay. That should cover you for now!

(Also, the wiki has definitions of all of the acronyms!)

Welcome to the forums.

Suggestions:

Razor: Gillette Tech or Super Speed if you'd like to go Vintage. Merkur 34C if you'd like to go new.
Blades: Sample pack. There is no single blade that pleases everyone. Get a good sample pack and give them all a go until you find your groove. I've stocked up on Derbys, Astra Platinums, and Feathers.
Soaps/Creams: Another tough one. If you can find places that do samples, give them a shot. I've been very pleased with Mitchell's Wool Fat soap
Where to go: As mentioned, the BST forum on this site has been a boon for my razor addiction. I've had far better luck picking up razors here than on ebay. The quality and prices on the products in the BST subforum beat ebay hands down. Beyond that, westcoastshaving.com and leesrazors.com for an assortment of new goodies.

Welcome!I would recommend you to find a vintage razor first(maybe your grandpa or father are still having one,also you can buy one on the bay) and a sampler of blades.For a shaving brush you can get a Tweezerman or Edwin and Jagger Best Badger Brush that they will perform the job really well.Proraso cream or soap would be another good option for a beginner.Read all the tutorials here and watch Mantics videos on youtube and patience with the results the first couple weeks....you are changing to one extreme to the other(from an electrical to a single edge razor) so take it slowly the first couple days and the most important thing:enjoy it!Hope you like it!

While looking up 80s rap group The Fat Boys I happened upon this forum, specifically a thread about a different kind of Fat Boy. Despite it not being what I was looking for, my curiosity is piqued! I'm a 24 year old just finishing up grad school and applying to Real Jobs and would looove to be able to shave for interviews (and hopefully for work, eventually) without tearing up my face like I usually do.

Up until now my strategy has been to grind away at my face with an electric razor until my face was naked and raw and then not shave again until i had enough stubble built up that it didn't hurt anymore. Which isn't really so much a strategy as it is declaring defeat.

Suggestions as to what to look for in a first razor, blades, soap, etc? Where to get them?

Van der Hagen boar brush and soap at CVS or Walgreens
Blade sample pack from West Coast Shaving, or just get some drug store blades
Get a decent razor to start. A tech off Buy/Sell/Trade, or better yet, get a Merkur HD for about 35 bucks. You can resell it if it all goes south. You want to start with a good razor, though, and the HD is a keeper.
A bottle of witchhazel from the drugstore, for your after shave splash

This should get you going for less than 75 dollars with some good tools.

Hi and welcome. As a resource, this site has some great threads on the subjects of how to lather, how to prep your face, different shaving routines. I can't locate them for you right now because I have to go to work, but finding and reading them will get you off to a good headstart. There is also a series of videos on youtube, by Mantic59 - good demos.

Welcome to B&B

razor, vintage gillette off the bst or a new merkur either the HD or similar
soaps try either a Williams or Vanderhagen both usually avail in most drug stores and or Walmarts very cheap
cream, I say try 1 so you have a comparison to soaps, again staying cheap but good either Proraso or one of TOBS creams
blades-check out westcoastshaving.com get a sampler pack and they sell some of the other items as well
brush -tweezerman or Vintagebladesllc.com has a cheap Rooney which is a great brush
bowl/mug -your kitchen, garage or Walmart

enjoy

Gillette Super Speed or Slim Adjustible
Derby Extras
Mama Bear's Shave Soap or Proraso Shave Cream
Get Tweezerman Badger Brush around $13 and a good starter brush

Tinyfolk,

These guys have already given excellent recommendations, so I will just welcome you Badger & Blade!!!

DL

Top Bottom