What's new

is santa maria novella same as prosaro?

To the nose, from the tube or tub, they smell almost identical. In fact, you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference between the two.

Santa Maria Novella comes in a 250ml tub, and could best be described as either a hard cream or a soft soap. SMN has a higher camphor/eucalyptus quality about it that sets it apart from Proraso, and I really mean it sets them apart. You would immediately know you were shaving with two very different creams in a blind test; your nose would know, and so would your face. The menthol cooling effect is unique with SMN, and if you didn't like menthol it could actually be too much for you.

Difference in shave quality? Six of one, half dozen of another. I don't see any appreciable difference between them. There is a notable difference in price, however. I don't think that Santa Maria Novella is a rip-off in any sense of the word; just a different animal in the Italian shaving soap world that I'm happy to have in my rotation.

Don

I was using Proraso Red yesterday & it occured to me, that a Valobra Shave Stick scent smells identical to Proraso Red.
In the dictionary both would have their picture right next to "clean smelling".

Now someone will chime in & swear AOS is the same as Valobra :biggrin:

Last edited:
Top Bottom