What's new

Week of 1912?

The flat head one came in a covered wood case, has the "use only damaskeene blades" stamp inside and "gem cutlery co" stamping on the back.
The curved head one comes in a metal case, fancier handle and just has "gem brooklyn new york" inside, and nothing on the back.

Due to the type of box and the stamping on it, I always thought my flat head razor is older than my curved head one.

you people are going to make your heads spin :001_rolle

between basic stamping and minor technical changes, the age and order of the 1912s can be determined, which i have information on that everyone will hopefully find most interesting.

Hey Jeff, good to see another guy start on the SE journey. Keep trying out more blades and SE razors. When I started SE shaving with the Micromatics, I could only handle two days in a row before I needed to break out the Gillette Tech for a few shaves and give my face a break. I could go for months now with the Micromatic, we'll see how long I can hold out with the 1912:wink:

BTW, As a "tribute" to 1OldGI, I just set out my fat handle pat. 1912 GEM Jr. for tomorrow's shave.

Thanks for the encouragement. I skipped SE altogether this morning and returned to my old-faithful HD Merkur Barberpole. No irritation, very comfortable shave, but not as close as I remember. I think the closeness I've been getting from my 1912 tests have raised my standards on judging closeness. I might try a Treet blade in my 1912 tomorrow. Then again, there's a fresh blade in my new Schick injector that's begging me to try out. I'm going to continue to work with these SE razors for a while.

By the way, I've heard that the G-bar is a little less aggressive than the 1912. Is this true?

Thanks,

~Jeff

between basic stamping and minor technical changes, the age and order of the 1912s can be determined, which i have information on that everyone will hopefully find most interesting.

We can't find it interesting until you share:wink:

Jeff, I've heard a lot of guys praise the G-bars, I have yet to finish a satisfactory shave with one. During my "testing" with the 1912, I think I'm going to have to do a week of each GEM style I have, try to become a "master" of each one. There's only one way to see if the G-bar will be good for you:biggrin:

Jeff, I've heard a lot of guys praise the G-bars, I have yet to finish a satisfactory shave with one. During my "testing" with the 1912, I think I'm going to have to do a week of each GEM style I have, try to become a "master" of each one. There's only one way to see if the G-bar will be good for you:biggrin:

The G-bar is on my list of razors to watch for on BST. I'm already at my budget for the month, but that won't stop me if a good deal comes up. I'm also looking for an older Schick injector with a bakelite handle. I'm kind of in a SE mood.

~Jeff
wondering whether he'll grab the 1912 with a Treet blade or the injector in the morning and won't know until just before it hits his face tomorrow

I like the GEM SE's. I have three, the Micromatic, the Junior and a 1912. I wish I'd have seen this post when it was fresh so I could have done it with you. Maybe I'll try the 1912 with a fresh Gem stainless tomorrow. Still would like to buy 25-50 of the Ted Pella blades to see if they are better than the ones I get here. Cheaper they would be. Someone want to take on a group buy?

I like the GEM SE's. I have three, the Micromatic, the Junior and a 1912. I wish I'd have seen this post when it was fresh so I could have done it with you. Maybe I'll try the 1912 with a fresh Gem stainless tomorrow. Still would like to buy 25-50 of the Ted Pella blades to see if they are better than the ones I get here. Cheaper they would be. Someone want to take on a group buy?

You can still do a week of 1912! Start whenever you want and use it for a week to perfect your technique. The reason I started it was because I didn't seem able to get a decent shave with a razor that most SE users rank as the superior razor. I've found that I needed to slightly alter my technique between the two razors to get the 1912 to perform.
Don't fee left out, I'm going to do a week of Micromatic next, I'll give the board a little heads up on that one for anybody wishing to join.

Easter shave done. Day 5 and I think I officially have the 1912 figured out. 2nd BBS in a row, no blood or irritation. I don't think the 1912 will take the place of the Micromatics in my number one spot, but I'm feeling a little better about them.

Drama free and no blood for me either this time.
I have been stropping and honing my rolls and started with that though for todays shave.
Unfortunately, that's still shaving like a blunt derby, fine on the cheeks, murder on the throat and chin. So I used the GEM for two passes after the one pass with the rolls.

I might be getting my micromatic late next week, but postage is slow.
If I get the rolls sharp enough, I'm up for a week of rolls.
But if I get the micromatic soon, (I've been waiting 2 weeks already), I'll join you. I've heard that's more aggressive? That might be what I need, then again, it could be the blade as I'm only using GEM bluestar.

I haven't got a close shave with the 1912, more like the closeness of what I get out of a superspeed and IP, red personna, or gillette blade. Although I do like the GEM, it does it quicker than a DE so I'm happy to use it for a quick daily shave.

edit:
you people are going to make your heads spin :001_rolle

Well do you have any information on the shape of the head. Some have said the older ones had a more curved beak-like shape and the newer ones were flatter.
My damaskeene GEM with the knurled handle, wooden box and GEM cutlery co on the backthat I posted photos of in another thread, you said was the first or second version after the open comb type, that razor has a flat head.
And the newer type with only "gem, brooklyn, new york, made in the USA" on the inside, and nothing stamped on the back, with the grooved handle and metal box, actually has the more curved head.
A couple people have posted here and said the curved head is the older design, which makes no sense :confused:

I hope to find out your interesting information one day.
:lol::lol::lol:
Thanks for all the help given so far though, you've been extremely helpful.

It's just the suspense is killing me :blush:

Last edited:
I have been stropping and honing my rolls and started with that though for todays shave.
Unfortunately, that's still shaving like a blunt derby, fine on the cheeks, murder on the throat and chin. So I used the GEM for two passes after the one pass with the rolls.

But if I get the micromatic soon, (I've been waiting 2 weeks already), I'll join you. I've heard that's more aggressive? That might be what I need, then again, it could be the blade as I'm only using GEM bluestar.

I haven't got a close shave with the 1912, more like the closeness of what I get out of a superspeed and IP, red personna, or gillette blade. Although I do like the GEM, it does it quicker than a DE so I'm happy to use it for a quick daily shave.

edit:
Well do you have any information on the shape of the head. Some have said the older ones had a more curved beak-like shape and the newer ones were flatter.
My damaskeene GEM with the knurled handle, wooden box and GEM cutlery co on the backthat I posted photos of in another thread, you said was the first or second version after the open comb type, that razor has a flat head.
And the newer type with only "gem, brooklyn, new york, made in the USA" on the inside, and nothing stamped on the back, with the grooved handle and metal box, actually has the more curved head.
A couple people have posted here and said the curved head is the older design, which makes no sense :confused:

The Roll's is a different beast.:wink:If you don't get the blade sharp enough,the quality of the shave will suffer.:eek:Work on the blade,even if it requires honing on a norton or similar stone and your results will improve immesurably.:smile:

The Roll's is a different beast.:wink:If you don't get the blade sharp enough,the quality of the shave will suffer.:eek:Work on the blade,even if it requires honing on a norton or similar stone and your results will improve immesurably.:smile:
Yeah, I've been working on the rolls for hours, so much so that I've got blisters working the handle. I've been honing and stropping a fhundred + times every day for the last 4 days as it has a bit of chipping and corrosion on the razor edge when I bought it.
I've made some progress on it, and flipped the honing stone, so I'm getting somewhere, but I may need a new strop for it. Anyway, discussion of the rolls is for a different thread, and unfortunately the rolls thread is dead.
I only mentioned it here because any irritation I felt after the GEM shave was probably due to hacking away with the rolls first.

Last edited:

edit:

Maybe looking at these photos will make more sense. The brass headed black handled Gem is a late model 1912. The head is flat (this one with a bevel at the end).

The razor shown in the ad is an early, Damaskeene model. Notice the pronounced curve to the cap, no bevel.

Maybe looking at these photos will make more sense. The brass headed black handled Gem is a late model 1912. The head is flat (this one with a bevel at the end).

The razor shown in the ad is an early, Damaskeene model. Notice the pronounced curve to the cap, no bevel.

But the ad copy says that the razor has been on the market for at least 25 years (at the time of the ad) so this would imply the pictured razor is a late model, not an early model. Or do you think the ad was picturing an early model to emphasize the history? I think they would picture a current model since that is what they were trying to sell.

Last edited:
Yeah, but here's mine: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1074586&postcount=42
It has a flatter head than my later one.
If you look at this post:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1122118&postcount=12
My damaskeene marked razor I'm using is the top row middle column razor as you can tell. The one below that razor (middle column, middle row, ie dead centre) and has no "gem cutlery co", no damaskeene, only has 'GEM, Brooklyn, New York, made in the USA' on the inside,and nothing on the back, actually has the more pronouced curve.
The older 'damaskeene', 'gem cutlery co razor' is flatter.

But the ad copy says that the razor has been on the market for at least 25 years (at the time of the ad) so this would imply the pictured razor is a late model, not an early model. Or do you think the ad was picturing an early model to emphasize the history? I think they would picture a current model since that is what they were trying to sell.

The ad could just be referring to any GEM razor, not just the one in the ad itself. When a company makes a new product they tend to bring up how long they've been around. I don't know tho, I'm no "Dave".:lol: Just an idea.

EDIT: I'm no "Mikeyk" either:lol:

Last edited:
Do you have a photo of the head of the Gem Cutlery Co razor? If the head is truly flat, then the cap was changed. (I am assuming you are talking about the cap in all of this). The cap on the first model, open comb razor is exactly the same as the Damaskeene Gem with the knurled handle and the Gem Cutlery Co c 1915. It is a bird-like cap.

Deve? Please?

The ad could just be referring to any GEM razor, not just the one in the ad itself. When a company makes a new product they tend to bring up how long they've been around. I don't know tho, I'm no "Dave".:lol: Just an idea.

EDIT: I'm no "Mikeyk" either:lol:

Exactly. Gem was referring to their entry into safety razors in the:wink: mid 1890's.

And, I am no Dave either.

Do you have a photo of the head of the Gem Cutlery Co razor? If the head is truly flat, then the cap was changed. (I am assuming you are talking about the cap in all of this). The cap on the first model, open comb razor is exactly the same as the Damaskeene Gem with the knurled handle and the Gem Cutlery Co c 1915. It is a bird-like cap.

Deve? Please?

Damaskeene marked one is the one on the left, the metal cased one I ws talking about before is the one on the right. It's got a bit of a curve, but the other one seems like more of a curve.
Edit: also the 'cap' is longer on the damaskeene stamped razor. Maybe it just seems flatter because it's longer?

Last edited:
The razor on the left is the on I would have immediately chosen as the Damaskeene (early Gem) since the head has a more pronounced curve than the one on the right.

OK, it just looked like less of a curve to me because it's longer :thumbup1:
I guess I was describing it wrong.

edit: if I align up the handles, the damaskeene has a sharper angle, but more of a straight angle from top to bottom. The other one starts lower, so bows out more. But if I ignore the handles and line up the comb to the top of the cap, the curve and the angles are almost exactly the same, just the damaskeen has a slightly longer cap and the handles are pointing different directions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom