What's new

MLB Opening Day 2009

So, even though I a have no real way of watching any of the action, I have still had a pretty entertaining time keeping up with everything. I thought it would be cool to have a place to overreact to the first few games of the season (i.e. CC's poor showing), vent / gloat about the moves your team made in the off-season, argue about the best teams in each division, and make outlandish predictions based on it all.

I will start it off saying GO CHI SOX! Clearly, based on the first game of the season, the Sox will win the division and most likely bring home another World Series Trophy to the South Side. Again, GO SOX!

(Inflammatory remarks, like "I can smell the cubs smelling it up from over 4,000 miles away," are certainly discouraged.)

I will start it off saying GO CHI SOX! Clearly, based on the first game of the season, the Sox will win the division and most likely bring home another World Series Trophy to the South Side. Again, GO SOX!
[/SIZE]

I'm sure they will too, you're talking about Little League right? :biggrin:

Because in Major League Baseball, there is only one Sox team, and they're from Boston. :wink:

I am really happy to see Baseball back in swing this year. I really miss watching it throughout the winter months.

For me, opening day is whenever the Reds play that first game at Great American Ballpark. None of this silly media-driven Sunday night stuff...:mad:

Sadly, the Redlegs lost a close one on opening day this year. Still, I remain hopeful for the remainder of the season. Pitching seems strong -- we just need some offense.

I was entirely happy to see Griffey get the opening day HR yesterday (Tying Robinson's opening day HR record -- who keeps track of that stuff?), even if it was for Seattle.

And don't get me started on the Cubbies. :biggrin:

baseball is overrated and it sucks it will be the only sport during this long summer. football > baseball. go cowboys!!! :biggrin:

I'm sure they will too, you're talking about Little League right? :biggrin:

Because in Major League Baseball, there is only one Sox team, and they're from Boston. :wink:

I am really happy to see Baseball back in swing this year. I really miss watching it throughout the winter months.

First off, glad to see my no inflammatory remarks remark is being observed as I had planned.

Secondly, the cowboys are terrible. Anyone who doesn't like baseball should be put on the "Axis of Evil" list. And, I do kinda like the Roid Sox, but only because their success physically pains Yankees fans. I thought for a brief while last season, that my dream may come true, and both NYY and the BoSox would miss October baseball, but here's to hoping it happens this year.

And Lastly, this time of year is just perfect, as things warm up and baseball gets under way. Each season has its sport, and each seem somehow fitting to that season. Here's to baseball.

Last edited:
Even though they lost, the Friars did better than I thought against the Dodgers. Predictions are for a worst record this year than last :eek: mainly due to some transactions and a very young roster. We will see what happens. I'm just glad baseball is back in full swing!

I've never watched a single game, ever.

But, as I have ESPN America (used to be NASN) as part of my TV package I could be tempted to watch the odd MLB game.

It was sweet!

I've managed to go all winter without watching even one minute of NBA or NHL (or college hoops, as well), and now it's baseball season, once again.

I watched the Marlins v. Nationals... what a game! Bonifacio was amazing -- two homers, and the second one an in-the-park home-run! And then Hanley Ramirez hits a Grand Slam home-run!!

All on Opening Day... what a season this is gonna be! And it'll be a good one for all of us... for each team, each player... for there's no such thing as a "bad" ballgame.

Lemme go... the Marlins v. Nationals are on again!

The Manny Ramirez Dodgers are in first place. Maybe there will be another strike shortened season?
Bleeding Dodger Blue here in the Central Valley of Kalifornia.

baseball is overrated and it sucks it will be the only sport during this long summer. football > baseball. go cowboys!!! :biggrin:

I would hate baseball too if my state had crappy teams :lol:

I'm rooting for my Yanks. Before I get accused of being a bandwagoner, let me say that I lived in NY for four years and like them before they 1996.

I hope my Yanks win but I'm thinking Boston will be really hard to beat. Beckett, Dice-K, and Lester is a great top three. If they're healthy, they'll be hard to beat.

Even though they lost, the Friars did better than I thought against the Dodgers. Predictions are for a worst record this year than last :eek: mainly due to some transactions and a very young roster. We will see what happens. I'm just glad baseball is back in full swing!

Can you guys please trade Peavy already? :biggrin:

The Cubs :lol::lol::lol: 100 years without winning a World Series.

I lived in Chicago for 20 years and for the life of me, I couldn't figure out why any reasonable person would root for such an average team. Cubs fans are absolutely crazy about this team. Granted, Wrigley Field is one of the coolest places in the world and the last few years have been promising for them AND Lou Pinella is a great coach.

The day the Cubs win the World Series is the day the world comes to an end.

I lived in Chicago for 20 years and for the life of me, I couldn't figure out why any reasonable person would root for such an average team. Cubs fans are absolutely crazy about this team. Granted, Wrigley Field is one of the coolest places in the world and the last few years have been promising for them AND Lou Pinella is a great coach.

The day the Cubs win the World Series is the day the world comes to an end.

The Cubs just need to get over 2003 and move on.

They have a good team and need to stop choking in October. Last year really was sad.

+1 on the Red Sox.

The only team I like better than the Bosox are my own Twins. They're playing their final season in the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome and will be moving into (taxpayer financed) Target Field next year.

Unfortunately, there will be no beer at the Metrodome this season because the Twins lost the opener! :lol:

The only team I like better than the Bosox are my own Twins. They're playing their final season in the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome and will be moving into (taxpayer financed) Target Field next year.

Taxpayer financed? If I lived there I would be outraged. What has Pohlad ever given back to the city?

I'm not saying they don't deserve a new ballpark, I'm just saying that the taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for the park if the owner is so stingy.

Top Bottom