What's new

Planters Fasciitis

Right before bed. When I got up this morning, my feet were noticeably less stiff. The irony is that I gave the wooden balls to my wife last winter when she had PF, and she's been bugging me to use them for a couple of months.

Stubborn as a mule I see :)

I tried Sole insoles and they helped my feet, but wrecked my knees. I have moderately flat feet and the arch in the insole turned my feet up and gave me tremendous knee pain. Just a consideration for those looking at running insoles.

I purchased the superfeet and bought a new pair of shoes. I wore shoes with support all day long even in the house. My foot has been slowly getting better. We just purchased a Cellercise Rebounder and after 1 week of rebounding my foot is almost 100%. That is only one of the benefits of 15 minutes a day on the cellercise. After not going to the gym for 3 months suffering from the Fasciitis, I am feeling better.

I've had knee problems for a couple years now. Out of desperation, I tried that Dr. Scholls machine at Walmart that fits you for their custom orthotic insoles. I gotta tell you the difference was night and day. They're starting to crap out now after 2 years. But with me standing at a lathe 10 hrs. A day, that's a lot of miles. I don't know if they'll help with you, but it might be worth a try.

Last edited:
I did those as well. I have them in my other shoes. I should have went to Costco, I could have bought two sets and saved money.

I purchased the superfeet and bought a new pair of shoes. I wore shoes with support all day long even in the house. My foot has been slowly getting better. We just purchased a Cellercise Rebounder and after 1 week of rebounding my foot is almost 100%. That is only one of the benefits of 15 minutes a day on the cellercise. After not going to the gym for 3 months suffering from the Fasciitis, I am feeling better.

Good to hear!

Mine is not completely gone, but I have much relief. I just did an hour bike up a mountain today and while I have some pain, it is not at all what I had before. I am going to give this a try as well

Great information and folks take it from me, Take care of your feet; at 48 I have osto arthritis in both feet caused by 2 decades for running with off the shelf shoes and no knowledge that I was setting myself up for a painful future. I have not be able to run regularly since I was 30 and not at all since 2006. My feet hurt me bad enough at times I can not sleep or go in to work.

After a run or at night before bed?
Do them in the morning first thing before you stand up, while seated at the edge of bed. Your call muscles will tighten over night due to natural plantar flexed resting position of the foot which will in turn increase the linear tension on the plantar fascia.

Rolling it out in the AM will decrease the inflammatory response much like using a foam roller on your It Band.

I've gotten to the point now where it's just untenable. During the run, it's pretty ok, with only mild discomfort. After the fact, holy cow, I'm hobbling around like I'm 75. I have decided to see my Thanksgiving race commitment through, but to stop running until spring, to allow the feet to heal (pun intended, :biggrin:). In the meantime, I am going to give swimming a try since the gym has a pool. I've never done it before for exercise, but it should give me a whole body workout. We'll see how it goes.

I've gotten to the point now where it's just untenable. During the run, it's pretty ok, with only mild discomfort. After the fact, holy cow, I'm hobbling around like I'm 75. I have decided to see my Thanksgiving race commitment through, but to stop running until spring, to allow the feet to heal (pun intended, :biggrin:). In the meantime, I am going to give swimming a try since the gym has a pool. I've never done it before for exercise, but it should give me a whole body workout. We'll see how it goes.

Best of luck Bob! When I switched to swimming for something different, it really kicked my butt. I worked my way up to a mile in the pool and couldn't believe the lung capacity afterwards when running again....its a killer, killer workout!

Best of luck Bob! When I switched to swimming for something different, it really kicked my butt. I worked my way up to a mile in the pool and couldn't believe the lung capacity afterwards when running again....its a killer, killer workout!

As my upper body strength has never been anything to write home about, I anticipate a fair amount of adjustment, but when life deals you lemons... I'll try to view this as an opportunity and not a setback.

There was no sense delaying things, so I did my first swim today. I found some beginner workouts on-line, and did 600 yards via a combination of warm up, cool down and "work out." I was feeling it by the end of the warm up. I fought my way through it, struggled a bit on the 50 yard "laps" (2 lengths of the pool), but in the end, made it through 600 yards, a little more than a third of a mile. My shoulders and pecs are really feeling it, and to Chris's point, my lungs were really stretched there during the workout. It's a good thing I had a good cardiovascular base to work from. The best part, my feet don't hurt any worse than when I got in the pool.

I have some plantar crap going on as well, not severe. Seems like when it was at its worse i jogged barefoot in the grass or on a treadmill (or with some Merrell trail gloves) and that actually helped. A lot. Now it seems if i do that once in a while....and replace my shoes every six months (work and running) I stay fairly pain free. They hurt some but it is just a twinge, not the intense pain it once was. Currently not stopping me from doing any activities...and saying all of this, I did hit the podiatrist, got fancy assed orthotics, and they helped for the short term and as my feet felt better the orthotics hurt as much as they helped.

There was no sense delaying things, so I did my first swim today. I found some beginner workouts on-line, and did 600 yards via a combination of warm up, cool down and "work out." I was feeling it by the end of the warm up. I fought my way through it, struggled a bit on the 50 yard "laps" (2 lengths of the pool), but in the end, made it through 600 yards, a little more than a third of a mile. My shoulders and pecs are really feeling it, and to Chris's point, my lungs were really stretched there during the workout. It's a good thing I had a good cardiovascular base to work from. The best part, my feet don't hurt any worse than when I got in the pool.

Great job Bob! Keep going! You'll be doing miles in no time.

Hard orthotics and rest worked for me. I had it for about a year. It's not pleasant. I still wear them to prevent a reoccurance.

I had chronic PF. I was doing 5k a day when I nailed down what it was. I had the best insoles, shoes, and doctors and noting seemed o slow it down.

Yes, morning are the worst. Night time rollers, soup cans, etc to stretch the muscle felt good but dont think it did anything in the long term. My problem was being military, icing my feet for 2 hours after a run in the morning was out of the question.

The first step in my cure was changing from running to mountain biking. Problem was I had to ride for over 2 hours to feel as worn out as a 1 hr run. It was nice to feel the plantar muscle stretch as my foot stretched/wrapped over the bike pedals. Then I only ran about once a month for group runs or PT tests.

Fast forward 3 yrs. The best thing that cured my PF was tearing the miniscus in my left knee, and the subsequent arthroscopic surgery and rehab time thereafter.

My best contribution to the running hobby now is giving runners a wide berth and right of way when I pass them in my car.

Top Bottom