What's new

Planters Fasciitis

Ok, I admit I haven't read every response to the OP. I had some pretty nasty issues when I started running again, what helped me was to go to a running shop, or a running boutique if you will. The particular shop I went to did a 4 step fitment process: sized my feet, stand on a thermal pad (checked out my arches), filmed me running on a treadmill in a neutral shoe, then suggested 3 pairs of shoes which I got to put on and wear around the shop until I decided on one. My foot pain didn't magically go away, but within the next week or so, I was running with no pain.

So, maybe find a good running shop near you.

Since you posted that it reminded me of the *frozen pop bottles of water* that I used to roll under my arches...:eek: :biggrin:

Had this so bad if I sat for any length of time I would be barely able to walk.
The frozen 2 liter bottles of water treatment has kept it at bay.
I do this every night before bed and it has helped tons.
Hope you find what works best in a hurry as I know how miserable she is.

I keep reading about this. What do you do? I can't figure it out from the descriptions I've found.

This is what I was told to do by my Physiotherapist..
take a golf ball and set it on the floor, and put the arch of your foot on it and roll it around on the sore spot..
It will hurt like crazy, more even... but you have to do it to introduce new blood into the tissues and start the healing process.
after a few minutes of that torture take the frozen 2 liter bottle and while sitting place the arch on that and slowly roll it back and forth to lessen the inflammation and help with reducing pain..
It helps alot, but is no replacement for a good doc.... my suggestion.
Good luck, hope that helps some! :smile:

Lots of great advice here. A word about the injections, though; they will eventually have a detrimental effect. As you guys who have had it know, the exercises and therapies need to be done religiously to have a solid effect. My lady suffers from this as well, and I give her some vigorous footrubs when it gets bad. She hates it, but then I ice them down so she doesn't hurt me. I'll have to tell her about the cans and frozen bottles. She isn't up to needing orthotics yet.

Question for those who use custom orthotics

Is it a one time thing that you get it done from doctor and then use lifetime?

Most walmarts have the dr scholls machine that recommends the right insert for your feet. Best $45 I ever spent. My PF was crippling before I got the inserts. Now I just put then in the shoes on wearing that day. Now I can walk when I get out of bed. If I forget the inserts that day I'm messed up the next morning.

What these folks have not said is that it will hurt for quite a while no matter what. I had two bouts, the first lasted almost 7 months and that was with going to the doc and doing the exercises. The second bout was only a month after I thought the foot had healed. That lasted almost the same amount of time. I hope your GF doesn't suffer that long. I too love super feet.

Question for those who use custom orthotics

Is it a one time thing that you get it done from doctor and then use lifetime?

I will put in a hearty vote for Superfeet to answer your question. Not sure if you need something custom specifically for your foot...but I've been running on Superfeet orthotics for over 10 years. I usually go a year or two and then swap them out...not because they necessarily need swapping mind you, but the foot beds tend to get a little nasty after putting the miles on them.

I had a lot of pain from this until I pushed off to run one day and tore the tendon really good. After it healed - no more problems - dr. said I basically did the same thing a surgical solution would have done. Fixed the other one with lots of stretching, I got a brace that pulls the foot up to stretch it out over night.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Chased a stolen vehicle suspect on foot several years back thru a couple of miles of backyards and fences in brand new combat boots. Got PF in my left foot so bad I could barely walk.

Stretching, inflammation meds and time, then light exercise and more time was the only remedy for me. I remember an outpatient physical therapist gave me a 2' length of a green colored elastic type band. He had me put it over my big toe and gently pull it back which stretched that tendon in my foot.

That seemed to help me more than anything.

Minimalist shoes helped me the most. Once. Started wearing them I quit having issues from running. The area of impact moves to the center of the foot rather than the heel.

i too had PF. Got it from playing racquetball in running shoes. Did stretches, got better shoes. Stopped stressing it. Eventually it went away after a couple months.

Chased a stolen vehicle suspect on foot several years back thru a couple of miles of backyards and fences in brand new combat boots. Got PF in my left foot so bad I could barely walk.

Stretching, inflammation meds and time, then light exercise and more time was the only remedy for me. I remember an outpatient physical therapist gave me a 2' length of a green colored elastic type band. He had me put it over my big toe and gently pull it back which stretched that tendon in my foot.

That seemed to help me more than anything.

You caught the suspect? Can't leave that part out ;-)

Yup. I used Sorbothane 30 years ago, and these are my first insoles since. A 7 hour drive I had yesterday was a new experience in pain for my right heel.

Curious what you think Bob after a week or so...saved my running "career" if you can call it that. Lifelong runner in SF now....wouldn't think of running w/o them!

Top Bottom