What's new

Who knew?

Holy cow! Who knew there was this parallel universe known as wet shaving? I've been using a Gillette Fusion for 2 years. Saturday I tried my first DE--a Merkur 1904 with some Truefitt and Hill pre-shave oil, and a sample of their 1805 shave cream and after shave. (My blade was also Merkur--platinum.)

I showered, then lathered up with an old e-Shave badger brush. Tried 1 pass with WTG. Then another lathering and WTG pass. Youch! Not so good. Some razor burn and a bit of a stinging sensation from the cream.

I've now shaved twice since then, and I hope I'm getting better (although, I'm leaving a lot of stubble on my face as a result). Everything I've studied on B&B has told me to be patient. It just seems so strange to go from what I thought was a good shave with the cartridge Fusion to a not so good shave with better equipment and product. So I guess I'll keep trying to perfect my technique.

Anyway, I'm having fun with this and am glad to be on board

Awesome. Keep plugging away at it and oh, Mantic's videos help a lot in terms of perfecting that technique! Welcome to B&B by the way..

Howdy! Welcome to the B&B.

How much pressure are you using? Take it easy on the pressure. Let the razor do the work.

What kind of blade are you using in your 1904?

We used to spend Labor Day in and around Mackinac, and I have very fond teenage boy memories of summers spent on Mackinac Island with teenage girls. All that to say I dig your username. Welcome to B&B!

Dave

Welcome! I'm originally from Michigan- spent many a summer vacation up on the Island and surrounding area....

ever been to Pictured Rocks in the tippy-top of the UP?

Holy cow! Who knew there was this parallel universe known as wet shaving? I've been using a Gillette Fusion for 2 years. Saturday I tried my first DE--a Merkur 1904 with some Truefitt and Hill pre-shave oil, and a sample of their 1805 shave cream and after shave. (My blade was also Merkur--platinum.)

I showered, then lathered up with an old e-Shave badger brush. Tried 1 pass with WTG. Then another lathering and WTG pass. Youch! Not so good. Some razor burn and a bit of a stinging sensation from the cream.

I've now shaved twice since then, and I hope I'm getting better (although, I'm leaving a lot of stubble on my face as a result). Everything I've studied on B&B has told me to be patient. It just seems so strange to go from what I thought was a good shave with the cartridge Fusion to a not so good shave with better equipment and product. So I guess I'll keep trying to perfect my technique.

Anyway, I'm having fun with this and am glad to be on board

Ditch the Merkur blade, your face will thank you for it. They are generally acknowledged as the most unpopular blade out there. Any other blade will be an improvement, trust me.

Top Bottom