What's new

Gillette - 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (Yellow Pack)

I just had my first shave with a Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow. I typically use Derby's or Red Pack Personna's. This was my first foray into the 'sharper' blades. I typically use a Merkur 34C, but decided to try this blade in a more mild razor, a Gillette SS.

Although the Gillette was noticeably sharper than the Derby / RIP, it was a much 'rougher' shave. Despite the comfort (or lack) of the shave, the results were surprisingly very good. I was able to get great results with a 2-pass + touch-up shave versus my normal 3-pass + touch-up shave. But darn, it was a 'rough' feeling shave. I did get some minor razor burn, but I attribute that to my first shave with the sharper blade.

What has been your experience with this blade? Is my experience typical? I plan to try the Yellow in a couple of other razors before I pass final judgement. I also have a pack of Astra's waiting in the wing for a try-out.

This blade is one of the sharpest after a Feather. I use most blades in my Super Adjustable set at 4 or 5. That was a mistake for me with the 7o'clock yellow. I dialed it down to 3.

It needs to be kept on a short leash with close attention paid to technique at all times, then the shave will go more smoothly.

Beard reduction may be a little faster, but I prefer a more forgiving blade.

Currently this is my favorite blade. I use a Merkur Futur set to 2. So far I have tried Merkur blades (felt the razor burn), Derbys (destroyed my neck, but may have just been a bad blade), and Crystals (really like these too).

I plan on trying Feathers, and maybe seeing if the Derby was an anomoly. But I definitely favor the Yellow Pack 7s. Very close shave, very smooth, zero irritation or razor burn.

I love these blades. After a feather, these are my favorite. I do find that the sharper blades do better in more agressive razors, i.e. a slant. I have a very thick, coarse beard and tend to get a lot of drag when I use any of the 'mild' blades.

the gillette 7's will be my next blade to try. after trying the astra's and turning my neck and chin into a bloody mess I was afraid to try the gillette's afterwards and went straight to the redpack personna's. but, I won't know how they rate against all my other blades unless I give 'em a go.

I just got 5 packs of these and I am hoping they work well. I typically use Derbys and Feathers so looking forward to trying them.

I can't figure this blade out. It has a reputation for sharpness and I was anxious to try it. I have now tried them in at least three different razors and they pull and bounce, not to mention leaving patches. My beard is not that tough or thick, and Derbys and Crystals work fine. Obviously I'm missing something or doing something wrong because most everyone as a rule really likes this blade and comments on its sharpness.

Alan

My favorite as well. Very sharp, but smoother and more forgiving than a Feather, IMO.

I have just completed testing on the sample pack that I got from West Coast (I added the 7 O'Clocks), and I agree with your assessment. A corked feather in my fatboy gives a very good shave, but is very rough in my feather compact. When I have a 7 O'Clock in the fatboy, I have at times wondered if I remembered to insert a blade, until I run my hand over my face. In the compact, the 7 O'Clocks are a little harsh, but not too bad.

The quality of the shave appears to be virtually identical with both blades. The Feather will usuallly last through one week of shaving. The 7 O'Clock will sometimes make it through seven days, but usually lasts only six days.

I'm convinced enough that I will be shortly ordering a couple of years worth of blades (7 O'Clocks).

I like this blade. As sharp as the Astra (perhaps a tad sharper) and smoother. I actually prefer it to the feather in my slant.

Another blade that is similar in smoothness and performance is the Bic.

I like this blade. As sharp as the Astra (perhaps a tad sharper) and smoother. I actually prefer it to the feather in my slant.

I'm reviving this 4 year old thread to show some love for the Yellows.
I recently traded for some Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellows despite the fact that I already have plenty that I never use. Today, I opened up a fresh Yellow and dropped it in my English NEW LC. During the shave I thought, "this blade is not quite as smooth as I remember." I always thought of the Yellow as an Astra, but slightly sharper. The shave was very good (every bit as good as an Astra), but not as close as a Polsilver SI or a Personna Med Prep. Bummed, I started wondering what to do with the dozens of Yellows that I now own.
That was when I noticed how much my face loved the shave. Recently, I have been having mild/temporary irritation on the right side of my face. No more irritation. Gone, finito, done for, finished. The Yellow is indeed like the Astra SP, but a tad sharper. A great change-up blade for those days when my face needs a break, but I still want a BBS shave.

This is still one of my favorite blades too. I have a large stock of old Super Iridiums and I rotate them with the yellow Gillette. Most days I have a hard time telling the difference. They work great in my EJ razor.

im not a feather fan at all but i love the yellows. i really want to stock up on them sooner than later. i feel the yellow for me at least lasts longer than the feathers. i only maybe get 2 good shaves out of feathers and thats if i get a second good shave, my hair tears them up. the yellow i can get at least 3.

I just had my first shave with a Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow. I typically use Derby's or Red Pack Personna's. This was my first foray into the 'sharper' blades. I typically use a Merkur 34C, but decided to try this blade in a more mild razor, a Gillette SS.

Here's the thing - you just tried a razor blade for the first time in a razor you don't typically use so your rough shave could be due to either item. To get the best performance from the blade you should trust your skills and use your favorite razor. The best advice I ever took was to only change one thing per shave when you're trying new stuff.

My experience with the Yellow 7 O'clock is pretty good. I didn't choose it as my daily shaver because I found something I like better and cheaper, but I could start using them as my go to if needed.

I just tried this blade for the first time in a Merkur 37C slant.

Best shave I've ever had. Don't know if it's because of the blade, the razor, or maybe both! I will try it in my other razors this week to see how it performs in milder razors, but off of this one try, I'm convinced.

EZ

This morning I tried a Derby in an R89 and pretty much immediately didn't like what I was feeling. So I decided to stop and switch. For whatever reason instead of grabbing my current favorite Astra SP I went with a 7 O'clock Yellow.

Wow......smooth, like there wasn't a blade in the razor.

yellow is in my top 5 blades. i agree though for those testing new blades you should try them first in a razor you have used before. anytimw you test out anything new there should be some kind of "control" if you all of a sudden change everything out you have no idea which piece works and which doesnt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom