What's new

Red Pack IP's sharper than Derby?

I've seen conflicting opinions here as to which is considered sharper, Red pack IP's or Derby?

I'm using Derby right now, and have tried Feathers (very nice but expensive) and it would be nice to have something a bit sharper (and cheaper) than Derby.

I've read so much praise for the red packs, and would like to try some, but not sure if it's worth it?

Thanks for any opinions!

I find the Red IPs sharper than the Derbys.

Another blade to consider would be the Astra Platinums--But they retail for about the same amount as the Derbys.

I found red IPs to be a step up from derby, but nothing to write home about.
I think the better blades are worth the extra 20c

They're definitely better than Derbys. I rate them between Derbys and Gillette Swedes (with Feather being the grand prize winner).

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Yes, definitely sharper. I also think they have the best price per sharpness point. I believe the cost of anything sharper offers very diminishing returns, unless you are one of those that absolutely needs the sharpest blades to manage a super tough beard.

J

Jarmo P

I have always been in the opinion that Derby blades are more effective and sharper shavers that Red packs. I feel it in how my whiskers are moved ATG under my chin. At first I was not finding my shaves as close as with Derby blades. But Reds are certainly nice forgiving blades.

Nowadays I use Reds a bit more than Derbies, in ratio to 2 to one.

I don't, can't use Feathers with my HD under my jaw without some irritation. Also Swedes gave me a bit irritation there. I can use Feather with my Progress on 2 setting that is a bit milder than HD.

My most daily shaver is HD with Reds and Derbies, but since I have already so many razors in rotation, SuperSpeeds too, that it is hard to tell what my daily shaver is. But only in Progress with milder setting I use Feather blades.

now that i've accustomed my face to different blades i'm finding the red pack personna's to be one of my faves, mainly because it's the one blade that doesn't turn my face into grated cheese.

Ive used DERBY Extra for a while now.I came across a deal on the red personnas they both give me a great shave. Ive shaved for a week with the red and now Im gonna try the Derbys to see if there are any significant differance.I think they are about equal they both give a great shave for me.

I definitely think the red IPs are sharper than Derbys. I rate them a little under swedes in sharpness.

I find Derby's sharper but the Red Packs give a smoother shave and you can't beat the price. My own personal ranking

Smoothness
1. IP's
2. Red Packs
3. Derby

Sharpness:
1. Derby
2. Red Pack
3. IP

So for me Red Packs are in the middle and for their price they have become my go to blade. Sharp enough and smooth enough.

Yesterday I did a so-so shave with a derby in gillette blue tip. Seemed I had to work too hard for the good shave I wanted. Today I used the same blade in my old schick krona. Great shave. I rate my shaves 1 to 5 being the best, this one is a 4+. Never seen a 5 yet but I'll know it when it arrives. So that being said, I'd say I think the Derby's are just a tad better than the reds. But I like the reds. As always ymmv and I think for certain which razor and which face really makes a big diff. Enjoy!

I find that a good Derby is slightly better than the Red IPs. However the Derbys have many duds. The Red IPs are consistently good. I rate the Red IPs better for that reason.

Top Bottom