What's new

Help on honing and touch ups

3fa

equipment on hand:
Naniwa 3000, 8000, 12K
1X strop with Diamond spray applied
1X strop with nothing applied.

question is, for touch ups on the hone.
do i use the 12K first then go onto the strop with Diamond spray and then finish off with the strop
or strop with Diamond spray and then the 12K then finish with leather strop?

question 2
bringing a dull edge back, i'll be using the 3000/8000 but is there a pyramid format similar to the Norton 4000/8000?
or do i use the exact same pyramid format as the nortons?

thanks

Hey man,

I would recommend using a stone followed by some light strokes on a pasted strop. That way you probably won't round your edge too much.

If the razor pulls try the 8000 first. If that doesn't do it then you could move to the 3000 for a few passes.

3fa

so the 12K then a few strokes on the pasted strop .
using te pyramid format would over do things ?

well in theory it would not hurt if you do it correctly but usually it's recommended to only do what's really necessary. So if you're trying to refresh a blade that was shave ready at one point, you don't need to go back to the coarser stone. A nice touch up on a fine grit stone should do it. If the razor doesn't react favourably to that then you could consider going to a lower stone.

JF

what twoods said i agree 100%
I like to add couple words.
what do you mean by touch ups.?
if you feel while you shave your blade is a little pulling then i think your better option will be have barber hones to sided ones example c- mon barber hone etc they are a lot of them out there.
This is easier and a lot safer that is why i recommend .
lastly i have heard a lot complaining finish with Diamond spray .they say it leaves too sharp edge.why don't you use chro02 instead?
this is my 0.02 cent
lets hope will help.

3fa

thanks Chess, but 1 thing though.
you said that a common complaint is that the diamond spray leaves too sharp an edge, isn't that a good thing?
or you meant that with such a sharp blade, there leaves little room for shaving technique errors? leaving for a nik or two?

3fa

also to answering your question chess.
touch ups for me is after stropping and shave the razors pulls a little and ha lost that sharpness. Not dull obviously just lost that something.

Diamond paste is considered to leave an edge that is too harsh, just feels rough on the face, but that it a matter of opinion, some people like an edge that is super sharp.

You could be stropping wrong, do you have a canvas/linen strop?

3fa

darn it, i jst bought a bottle of diamond spray from SRD and it wasn't cheap either.
may have to try Chro02 now

Who knows, you may be one of the fellows here that likes a super-scary sharp edge. Refine your honing techniques first and then give it a try. :biggrin:

i think i won't change my opinion use chro2 and buy barber hone for touch ups.good luck.
chro2 isn't expensive

3fa

it sounds like it's the way to go BUT i've already got all my naniwa stones in place and a paddle for the diamond spray but i'll buy some Chro02 later and paste it on the other side of the paddle
thanks Chess

Top Bottom