What's new

Russian shaving soap?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I didn't go to the Russian deli yet... But, I found this today... I could only trace it back to a Bulgarian website. Anyone has more information on that cream? Sorry for the blurry pictures.

Edit: Found this website about the cream... Seems it's from Bulgaria...

Edit2: There we go, found the website where it's made

Last edited:
I've got the red (classic) Karo here and use it every now and then, for the smell. Reminds me of when I was a kid.
There's also a menthol (green) version, not so good, I believe a tube is kicking around in the back of my drawer as well.

Just read where you found it in the Victorian thread, so deleting irrelevant information.

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
Right, it's not a russian cream but I'm getting closer! I tried it yesterday and it shaves well. I like it and think it's good stuff. For $2.20, it's impressive!

Luc

Staff member
I went to Russian Tidbit today... Nothing... They have some cold cuts, cheeses, pickled veggies, teas and sweets. The quest continues...

Luc

Staff member
Where did you get it?

A small grocery store here in Melbourne call Food SuperStore or something like it on the corner of Normanby and High Street in Thornbury. The good bit, it on my way to work...:001_smile

A small grocery store here in Melbourne call Food SuperStore or something like it on the corner of Normanby and High Street in Thornbury. The good bit, it on my way to work...:001_smile

Ah, a little out of my way then. I was hoping you found it on the internet.

Luc

Staff member
Ah, a little out of my way then. I was hoping you found it on the internet.

You might be able to find it on the net, where, I'm not sure. I found the company who's making it but they don't seem to be selling it on their website.

You might be able to find it on the net, where, I'm not sure. I found the company who's making it but they don't seem to be selling it on their website.

I couldn't find it anywhere that I could reliably translate and would ship to US.

Luc

Staff member
I could always get a tube and ship it back to you but for what the tube is worth, I'm usure it worth it.

Luc

Staff member
Mmm, the Russian consulat didn't answer my email. I might have to find their office! This is starting to sounds like Burn after notice...

Any Russian members willing to sell me a tube? If so, PM me with details please.

I had a fellow member send me some Russian after shave called "Tet-a-tet" or something like that. Ironically, I think the name is actually french for "face to face", but it's definitely Russian. It smells very...er... "foreign"? I'm still not sure I like it.

Luc

Staff member
I had a fellow member send me some Russian after shave called "Tet-a-tet" or something like that. Ironically, I think the name is actually french for "face to face", but it's definitely Russian. It smells very...er... "foreign"? I'm still not sure I like it.

If it's called 'Tete-a-tete' then yes it's French... Interesting, do you have a picture?:biggrin:

If it's called 'Tete-a-tete' then yes it's French... Interesting, do you have a picture?:biggrin:

Here ya go...It looks like it's about 180proof according to the label on the back, and apparently the label is misprinted.. Their "R"'s are backwards!!:eek:

proxy.php

proxy.php

I've also got several creams, and one type of soap that were purchased in the Balkans(Macedonia, Serbia, Croatia, etc..) but I'm not really sure if they were all produced there or not. I really enjoy collecting some of the more obscure stuff from other countries.

Last edited:
The last time I was in Finland I purchased some Russian shave soap. I believe the name was "Troisky" or "Trosk" or something similar. It performed like Colgate and smelled like Arko. Not a winner, in my book. :bored:

Luc

Staff member
Thanks Eric for the pictures!

Rob -> that's always good to know.

Here ya go...It looks like it's about 180proof according to the label on the back, and apparently the label is misprinted.. Their "R"'s are backwards!!:eek:

proxy.php

proxy.php

I've also got several creams, and one type of soap that were purchased in the Balkans(Macedonia, Serbia, Croatia, etc..) but I'm not really sure if they were all produced there or not. I really enjoy collecting some of the more obscure stuff from other countries.

If there's anyone that happens to read Russian, it would be interesting to know what the rest of the label says, and just to confirm that it is indeed Russian. I know there are lots of Eastern European countries that use different forms of Cyrillic(spelling?).

Top Bottom