What's new

Introducing....myself :)

well i decided recently to try out this whole wet shaving thing
am jsut drawn to it so i figure ill give it a shot
anyways Im 18 in HS about to go to college in fall (JHU)
i played football and wrestled
i like listeneing to alan watts, noam chomsky and the like
im sort of a pseudo intellectual

anyways enough of that...

im starting small as i have to finance this venture myself
do these items look legit?
http://www.smallflower.com/caswell-massey/1752-sandalwood-wooden-shave-bowl-3.3-oz-bar.html

this
http://www.smallflower.com/muehle/tortoise-plastic-shave-brush-shave-brush.html
-or-
http://www.smallflower.com/muehle/black-shave-brush-shave-brush.html

and im looking for a straight razor (like a 5/8 no spike point) thats around 40$ (cheaper is better now but i want at least decent quality)

any help is appreciated
any flaming is tolerable :)

thanks

and i just realized upon re reading my original post tht i sound pretty much like a douche (*** is a "pseudo intellectual" lol)

well anyways thanks

Welcome to the Forum, I think you best bet is to find a str8 razor on the Buy/Sell/Trade forum of B&B. There is always someone selling a good "Ready to Shave" razor. That is important, the people on this forum know what it means to have a razor ready to shave unlike E-Bay and I think you will get a better deal.

Welcome!

You might want to check other vendors. Shavingessentials.net has a great selection of soaps, creams, and brushes, along with outstanding service. I think I would try the Fraser's and WARS creams ahead of the soap you picked out.

If you're looking at just soaps, Mama Bear http://mamabearssoaps.com/ has more soaps and scents than you could possibly imagine.

Oh, and I always thought a pseudo-intellectual was analogous to faux ivory. :lol:

right now im looking for entry level stuff
like what i want right now is:
a straight razor (pre honed)
a strop
strop paste
a shaving soap that comes in a wooden bowl (i just like the way they look better than ceramics and what not)
a badger brush (i do NOT want a boar brush, i have my reasons)
a good aftershave balm

I think you would be better served to get one of the home-run creams or soaps (i.e., Tabac, Proraso, Irish Moos, Speick). Since you live in DFW area, you can run by Bed Bath & Beyond and get the Proraso (labeled C.O. Bigelow) for $5 or $10 depending on your size preference.

As far as your brush goes, I don't know many that use the Muehle brush. Many people love the Omega which can be had for around $15. Or you can find a good brush on BST here that is more of a known commodity.

I think your fastest route to finding a str8 razor for your price range is definitely the BST here.

Strop: You would be smart to get the 4-sided paddle strop from Tony Miller.
www.thewellshavedgentleman.com. You can leave one side leather, and you could paste some of the other sides if necessary. Tony is a great guy, and he is a member here. He can help you make the best decision with that.

Good luck, welcome to B&B, and since you called yourself out on sounding like a douche, we'll just leave that alone... For now:tongue:

right now im looking for entry level stuff
like what i want right now is:
a straight razor (pre honed)
a strop
strop paste
a shaving soap that comes in a wooden bowl (i just like the way they look better than ceramics and what not)
a badger brush (i do NOT want a boar brush, i have my reasons)
a good aftershave balm

I think you should buy the Tabac shave soap refill and a wooden bowl to put it in :lol:

BST is a good place to find badger brushes.

Nivea for Men Sensitive Skin is an incredible aftershave balm, and it is cheap at Wal-mart ($5). It works really well, and it doesn't have much of a scent to compete with your cologne.

You can certainly get into straight razor shaving on a budget, as long as you're not caught up in all the AD madness that can ensue around here.

There is VERY good advice above about a couple of $10ish products that are no-miss first products that pretty much every newcomer should use first. They may not be the best product you'll ever own or use, but they're a great baseline for whatever comes next. The C.O. Bigelow/Proraso is a must, and the Omega Boar brush (look on Amazon for one for about $16 shipped!) is a very versatile first go. Until you're ready to either buy used on the BST or spend $50 on a B&B Essential brush, I think you'll be well-served by that Omega Boar.

There are some shave-ready straights on this site in the B/S/T (see this thread:Shave-ready Straights and look at the Germania or Beckher - both in your price range!), and some on SRP that might consider. Heck, if you're not into looks, there's one there for $20!

Welcome to B&B. Best of luck in your new obsession.

Welcome to B&B! I am still very new to this but I am a veteran of being obsessive about new hobbies. :w00t: In all my ventures, I find the advice from the veterans on how to start to be the most helpful. I myself just got my first purchase from Westcoastshaving.com. I picked up some Tabac, Col. Conk's, and some blades for my DE for $25. Bed Bath and Beyond had the C.E. Bigelow for $5 and I have three straights on their way from ebay. Read everything you can and enjoy!