What's new

Can someone help me with my LCD monitor?

I'm having this problem with my computers display, its too bright, and i have the monitors settings for brightness and contrast set ALL THE WAY down, and yet any black text on white background looks like faint grey text instead of black. black and white artistic drawings are faded and everything basically looks well, bright.

As an example, there are tabs on the upper right for Home, Forums, Reviews, ect. its so bright there are no tabs, the words are still there, but no tabs. Also, if you click on forums, usually each forum/post is separated by a line, my display is so bright the lines arnt there.

I'm using Vista. Is there a setting in windows that will reduce this flushing effect?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Depending on your LCD screen, sometimes you have a little icon next to the clock and sometimes you don't. If you can go through the icon lower right corner and check the properties, there should be a tab/setting for brightness/contrast.

If not, on your desktop, right-click -> Properties -> Setting tab and you should have something in there. Normally, you would have a software to control those settings on top of the controls on the monitor.

Hope this helps.

I'd be willing to bet that it is an issue with your gamma. Have you tried adjusting that at all?

THIS is a decent place to start for a basic calibration of brightness and contrast on your monitor. Just make sure that each of the boxes along the top band are distinguishable. that should get you to a much more reasonable calibration value for the LCD.

One other thing.... I am assuming that the monitor/graphics card have fairly updated drivers, and more importantly that the monitor is running at a native resolution, and not some funky ratio that it wasn't designed for....

Ah, i found it, i had a little "ATI control center" in the bottom right corner, in it there was a checkmark option "automatically detect settings" was turned off, i turned it on and all is well!

Top Bottom