What's new

Should I cut myself a few times?

No, I'm not asking about self-harming. I'm just wondering if, after a handful of shaves, I'm being too cautious if I've not yet cut myself.

(That's done it. I bet I'll hack half my face off next shave.)

A rookie bike racer, trying to get the most from himself and the bike, should expect the occasional crash. That's racing, right? Well, is the same true with shaving. Will I learn faster if I'm prepared to make a few mistakes? In other words, should I be a little more aggressive with angles, bolder with strokes and less obsessive about skin-stretching?

Or should I just be quietly contented with my slow, but relatively painless, progress?

I've recently started with a straight myself. I've used the straight probably 90% of the last 6 weeks, with a little DE tossed in here and there. I've not cut myself either. A little irritation a couple times, but that's it. Maybe we're just good!:001_rolle

When I started shaving with a straight I was absolutely petrified :eek: that the thing was going to jump out and bite me at every stroke. Truth to tell, my very first shave lasted something like an hour and forty minutes, since after every stroke I was trying to figure out when the blood would come. It didn't. I have been shaving with a straight for something like eight to ten years now and although my speed has increased I have still have a healthy respect for that blade. The result of this 'respect' is that in all that time I have cut myself maybe five or six times, those being nothing more than 'micro' cuts (like from moving the blade slightly sideways at the start of a stroke) that never produced anything more than a tiny line of red, but no droplets racing for the floor. Inevitably, those moments of cutting myself happened when I let my focus wander or allowed myself to become distracted by something.

So, my advice is: Gain confidence, gradually pick up speed and control, but never lose your sense of caution.

Happy shaving !

Good advice from Ignatz. Respect the razor. Don't worry about not cutting yourself. You are being cautious and deliberate. It's when you get overconfident or careless that you are going to cut yourself.

When I started shaving with a straight razor, I knew absolutely nothing about it. I just went for it, I cut my self once on the chin. A couple of days later I left a cut on my ear (im not sure when as I didn't notice it at the time)

i've had a few weepers, but nothing that wouldn't clear up with a cold splash of water.

Just go for it, don't be afraid to try new passes, and don't care if you cut your self or you don't. I like your racing analogy, I have many friends who race and they talk about crashes like people talk about the weather, it really doesn't matter.

No, I'm not asking about self-harming. I'm just wondering if, after a handful of shaves, I'm being too cautious if I've not yet cut myself.

(That's done it. I bet I'll hack half my face off next shave.)

A rookie bike racer, trying to get the most from himself and the bike, should expect the occasional crash. That's racing, right? Well, is the same true with shaving. Will I learn faster if I'm prepared to make a few mistakes? In other words, should I be a little more aggressive with angles, bolder with strokes and less obsessive about skin-stretching?

Or should I just be quietly contented with my slow, but relatively painless, progress?

Not sure what kind of bike you were referencing but I think its alot like breaking in an engine. Some people have very specific rules others say take it easy the first 100 and then ride it like its stolen with the throttle full open and red lining at 14k. Whatever works for you is the winner. I'm impatient myself and tend to find that like a golf swing when I over analyze things thats when I "slice" it. Most important thing is probably to try to stay focused...

I tend to err on the side of butchering my face, although, after just beginning to break through my newbieness I still have managed to not cut myself to the point of blood coming out. I've had a little irritation here and there, but nothing worth hiding my face for.

I tried the same approach as you to begin with...slow and easy. I got some advice from someone to be less timid, and my shaves improved. Still be mindful of that really sharp blade in your hand, and don't be careless. Don't be afraid to play around with blade angles and different strokes, though. You never really know 'til you try, right?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If you are getting wonderful shaves without a drop of blood ... why push things? But if you still have the desire to improve your shaves, then you will want to "push the envelope" in terms of different techniques, some of which may result in a little blood. T'aint nothin'.

No need to bleed. Just focus on the task at hand and you'll be fine. It always cracks me up to hear newbs trying a double edge and hacking their face up. Again, no need to bleed. Keep the blade close. Keep the angle correct, and don't go trying to find your skull and you'll do fine.

...and don't let pets, wives, or other critters into the room while shaving. Also, beware the bathroom door that hangs surprisingly close to your elbow when theres a straight against your cheek.

Top Bottom