What's new

First DE shave with soap

I am getting ready for my first DE shave with a soap. To date, I have been using creams. My favorites are Proraso, TOBS Avocado, and eShave ginger (??). I can't remember the whole name at the moment. Anyway, aside from the differences between shaving cream and soap, should I approach this shave any differently than my others?

Depending on which soap you got, it might be harder to get a good lather. So which soap are you going with for your first go?

I am getting ready for my first DE shave with a soap. To date, I have been using creams. My favorites are Proraso, TOBS Avocado, and eShave ginger (??). I can't remember the whole name at the moment. Anyway, aside from the differences between shaving cream and soap, should I approach this shave any differently than my others?

I am pretty new to wet shaving but one thing I would say is to allow a few extra minutes for your shave with soap. It takes a few minutes longer to lather but in my opinion it is worth it. I have the best luck lathering soaps in a large cafe mug or bowl. My biggest mistake first using soaps was not getting enough soap into the brush to allow for a good plentiful lather.

What soap are you going with first?

Great advice, as I can usually whip up a good lather in about 30 sec.

I am going with Tabac my first time out.

It will help to soften the shave soap prior to loading your brush. Place a little water on top of the soap puck for a couple of minutes to soften it up. Wet your brush and give it a gentle shake to remove some of the excess water. Load your brush with soap. Note that your goal here is not to create lather but to thoroughly load your brush. Once your brush is loaded then create the lather in a bowl or on your face.

Well gents, last night I ventured into the realm of shaving soap and I am happy to report that the expedition was quite a success. I put some hot water on the top of the new bowl of Tabac to soften it. I prepared the same as usual, (hot shower, thorough face wash and scrub in shower, hot towels to face while steeping brush in hot water).

Here is where it got interesting for me. I usually swear by pre-shave oil; however, I did not use any with the soap as everything I have read on other B&B threads said that soaps, for the most part, provide a slick enough surface for the cutting instrument. Anyway, I loaded up the Tabac on my brush and then started swirling in my shave mug. As warned, it did take a little longer than usual, but I got there while the later was still warm, I applied it, and shhhhhhhhheeeeeewwww, was all I heard as the razor was gliding across my face. Very smooth, very efficient, I did three passes even though 2 was sufficient. For the second and third passes, after loading the brush, I built the lather on my face, which was much easier.

Overall, I think I will continue to try other soaps. I love the smell of Tabac before starting the shave. The smell kind of disappointed me during the shave. It changed to something I cannot describe, but I didn't like. No problems though, as it dissipated quite quickly.

The best part is that I think it probably shaved (no pun intended) about 15 minutes off of my regular shave time of 45-50 minutes. I take a long time because shaving is just about the only time I have to myself. I shave after we put our daughter to sleep and after my wife has settled in for the evening.

Mantic has some advice that's worth repeating. Works great for me.

[YOUTUBE]ZSUNBY9zHUw[/YOUTUBE]

Sounds like you had a great experience. One thing to note is that if you load your brush thoroughly, you shouldn't have to load it again for latter passes, unless you just did it for practice or something. There should be enough lather to go around for several passes.

If you don't like the scent of Tabac, you wouldn't be the first here.

Top Bottom