What's new

Web Hosting; Yeah I'm New

I have asked Joel this one already, but I'd thought I'd check to see what everyone else thought.

I'm looking for a web hosting service to get my own .com site for a home business I'll be starting shortly. However I'd like to keep the cost down around $15/mo. or less. I have found one site, www.rockandrollhosting.com, but I have sent a couple of e-mails asking questions and they have yet to respond (5 days have gone by). I am willing to pay a registration fee but what attracted me to www.rockandrollhosting.com was the lack of a registration fee.

I do not require a large amount of usage space, just enough to post some MP3's and allow a decent amount of people to it access it at once (no more than 100 most likely).

All comments and advice welcome, and thanks.

Regards

My recommendation would be Site5.com. Their prices/packages are hard to beat, and I've been very happy with their customer service. They've been around for over 7 years, so they're certainly no fly-by-night operation.

Their current promo is the totally ridiculous five dollar web hosting deal. $5.00/month when you prepay for 2 years (i.e. $120 up front) OR $8.00/month when you prepay for 1 year (i.e. $96 up front) gets you:

55 gigs of storage
5 terabyte/month bandwidth
Host up to 55 domains
Unlimited email addresses and all the other usual other goodies.

(normal pricing is $50.00/month with anything less than annual billing)

They also offer an exclusive "flashback" system, which works like a "system restore" for your web space.

Mr.Benn said:
My recommendation would be Site5.com. Their prices/packages are hard to beat, and I've been very happy with their customer service. They've been around for over 7 years, so they're certainly no fly-by-night operation.

Their current promo is the totally ridiculous five dollar web hosting deal. $5.00/month when you prepay for 2 years (i.e. $120 up front) OR $8.00/month when you prepay for 1 year (i.e. $96 up front) gets you:

55 gigs of storage
5 terabyte/month bandwidth
Host up to 55 domains
Unlimited email addresses and all the other usual other goodies.

(normal pricing is $50.00/month with anything less than annual billing)

They also offer an exclusive "flashback" system, which works like a "system restore" for your web space.

Just an FYI - if you read the terms of service - there are a LOT of catches in there, and the BIG thing is server processes, IE the actual load it is putting on the processor. Since they use a shared server - in that many accounts (hundreds) are on one server, if your account takes up too much processing power, it makes the rest of the sites run horribly slow - so while you are within you data transfer quotas and such - you are using WAY too much server processing power - and they'll boot your account.... this is the reason B&B had to be put on a dedicated server (IE: We have a sever whereby the ONLY account on said server is this one) as all the other hosts were telling us we were using too much processing power - and gave us the boot.

Basically... while they are offering you all that data transfer, and the deal seems incredible.... it isn't. If you have a normal website, it is way more than you'll ever need, but if you plan on having a heck of a lot of people on your site.... you are going to need something a lot more robust (and expensive). Basically when it comes to webhosts, you largely get what you pay for.

Hope this helps....

I use TextDrive and have been very happy. They don't put a lot of people on the shared boxes and have really good support as well as a great forum (hmm... where else do I know that has a great forum?)

I use Dreamhost and I'm really happy.... their service has been exceptional and the wealth of "extras" available to everyone (click-to-install SQL/CGI apps) is a huge bonus. The $8/mo plan I use isn't dedicated (they do offer it though), but they don't limit you on server processing.

Just a heads up on the cheap hosting options. The good and cheap ones usually end up just cheap. New hosts pop up all the time offering great prices and good service. After a year or so, the service goes to the crapper or they just go out of business. If you don't mind finding a new host every year or so, go for it. But it you want to pick one and be done with it, pay the little bit extra. With web hosting, you always eventually end up getting what you pay for.

castlecraver said:
I use Dreamhost and I'm really happy.... their service has been exceptional and the wealth of "extras" available to everyone (click-to-install SQL/CGI apps) is a huge bonus. The $8/mo plan I use isn't dedicated (they do offer it though), but they don't limit you on server processing.

Seconded on Dreamhost. I've been with them for two years now, and the service has been nothing short of exceptional. The free bandwidth and storage increases have been a welcome gift as well. My website has seen 99+% uptime, and transfer/loading speeds have never been an issue. Highly recommended.

joel said:
Just an FYI - if you read the terms of service - there are a LOT of catches in there, and the BIG thing is server processes, IE the actual load it is putting on the processor. Since they use a shared server - in that many accounts (hundreds) are on one server, if your account takes up too much processing power, it makes the rest of the sites run horribly slow - so while you are within you data transfer quotas and such - you are using WAY too much server processing power - and they'll boot your account.... this is the reason B&B had to be put on a dedicated server (IE: We have a sever whereby the ONLY account on said server is this one) as all the other hosts were telling us we were using too much processing power - and gave us the boot.

Basically... while they are offering you all that data transfer, and the deal seems incredible.... it isn't. If you have a normal website, it is way more than you'll ever need, but if you plan on having a heck of a lot of people on your site.... you are going to need something a lot more robust (and expensive). Basically when it comes to webhosts, you largely get what you pay for.

Hope this helps....

All valid points, but I didn't think we were discussing a new host for B&B. Are you suggesting that Kyle should be paying hundreds of dollars a month for a dedicated hosting plan right from the get-go?

Bear in mind, his requirements were:

tam.audio said:
I'd like to keep the cost down around $15/mo. or less.

tam.audio said:
I do not require a large amount of usage space, just enough to post some MP3's and allow a decent amount of people to it access it at once (no more than 100 most likely).

Given those parameters, a dedicated hosting plan just seems like overkill to me.

http://dreamhost.com/

10 bucks a month for the basic plan (50 dollar setup-fee if you don't do a prepay) for 200GB of webspace and 2 TB of transfer/month. EACH WEEK that you are a customer, they INCREASE your webspace by 1GBs and INCREASE your monthly transfer by 16GIGs. It's hard to find a better deal that that...

Another place to check out is www.1and1.com

I hate their administration panel though, but they have some sweet deals if you don't plan on running a large site.

When I had my website I went through www.vodahost.com. Any problems get handled usually that day. But they have a fantastic, and very easy to use web builder (no programming needed) with all the latest bells and whistles for free. In fact you can go there and try it out. Once done it will only publish on their site. And making changes is a snap too.
Vinny

I have been using Servage.

They are 9.49 CAD a month provide 250 Gig storage and 2100 GB transfer.

So far it has been quite good for me and I am hosting several sites on the one account which get a decent amount of traffic.

They provide MySQL, PHP, etc. also.

I wouldn't underestimate how quickly the file sizes can add up for audio/video storage.

(I can provide a referal code which gives you an additional wack of storage but it doesn't seem appropriate to list here; just pm me if you want it)

They claim to offer a free domain with each account but that is only for the first year and it is $30 per year after that which is a rather poor price.
I would register your name elsewere and just host here.
AllTimeDomains has a decent price for domains names and is a reseller for DomainPeople who provide excellent service.

-Geoff

Top Bottom