What's new

The sound of a Feather

Well, today I did it. In the last months I've often thought of trying some of the Feathers in my small den. But every time I just took one of the usual razors and put a Derby or a Crystal in it. I like both brands very much and they perform well in my favorite razors, which are a little to the aggressive side.
When I try something new I always see to that the new item is the only new in that shave to avoid too many variables.
But not today. I have a ball end Tech which I never tried before, and as I consider it a very mild razor (thanks for your inputs from the forums of B & B) and my forties SS is a bit too mild for my ordinary blades, I loaded the Tech with a Feather.
Unwrapping...hmm...rather much wax, glue, whatever... and then I felt that this was a different blade. First thing I noticed was that it felt thinner (I don't know it this is a fact), but it felt thinner and more flexible between my fingers. I let a finger slide carefully across the edge and I thought: Whoops, this might be a sharp one!
Soap soaking the stubbles during a hot shower and so much for prep. Mitchell's Wool Fat in the brush and drops of hot water in the mug. Lathered as usual and reached out for that golden razor which was lying tempting but a bit scary on the side of the sink.
And I let it slide gently wtg. And again and again with the next strokes.
Wow! I did not feel any resistance from the stubbles at all. And the most funny thing was the music - the sound - that was coming from this new instrument. When I shave I clearly hear the sound of the blade cutting the whiskers. Normally the sound is kind of raw (or should I call it roar!?) and in the low end of the sound spectrum. A man's barytone voice I would say. But now...the "volume knob" was turned pretty much down.
As the blade cut smoothly and effortless through the whiskers the sound was soft, discrete, and in a higher pitch. Definitely the sound of a tenor's voice. Or maybe a woman's contra alto?
Really interesting I thought as I tried to recall all the warnings I've read and how much caution Feathers should require. Hot water rinse, relathered, and I went for my atg pass (I normally get a BBS in two passes).
Oh, what a feeling...so soft to the skin, so effortless and so gentle. And this new blade melody I was listening to.
So far gents, thanks for your patience with my rubbish and now to the bottom line: I finished my shave as usual with cold water, alum stick, more cold water and dabbing the skin semi dry with a towel before applying an ASB.
Well, I could have done a little touch up to make this BBS star perfect. Maybe I'll do that the next time and in a week or so I will load a Feather into my SS and maybe some day in one of my Merkurs.
But. Today is a fine day. I had the most gentle shave ever. BBS, no nick, no weaper, no razor burn at all (and I really have one very sensitive side on my neck) and completely effortless. For me this blade is definitely a keeper. Don't be afraid. Try it.
Yeah, today is a fine day.
Regards
cop

But. Today is a fine day. I had the most gentle shave ever. BBS, no nick, no weaper, no razor burn at all (and I really have one very sensitive side on my neck) and completely effortless. For me this blade is definitely a keeper. Don't be afraid. Try it.
Yeah, today is a fine day.
Regards
cop
They are def fine blades. I love em.

Welcome to club. I love Feathers. It took me a while to get the technique down with them. OR rather, I thought I had my technique down before I started using them only to realize that I did not. I thought they were too aggressive, but once I refined my technique, it is like taking a hot knife through butter. No resistance. I like several other blades as well, but I cannot go directly from a Feather to something else. I have to let several days pass, because if I try to shave the next time with a different blade, it will never feel sharp enough to me.

...I like several other blades as well, but I cannot go directly from a Feather to something else. I have to let several days pass, because if I try to shave the next time with a different blade, it will never feel sharp enough to me.
>Wilpar, I recognize your point from others issues of life such as stereo sets, food, road bikes, fly fishing, fine whiskys, etc.
It's much easier and more fun to go to a higher level. Going the opposite way and use sub par equipment really sucks. You have tried the real good stuff (maybe the best), and now you recognize the flaws of the not-so-fine - even if you a while ago found exactly that to be a big step forward compared to where you once came from.
I have no recipe against that feeling. Hmm...maybe aquire some sort of AD or new hobbies in order to continue the feeling of going up, up, up? But maybe this is exactly what kept mankind going through the ages. Always on the look out for doing things better and acquire a better life quality?
Regards
cop

Thanks for sharing. I'm working up to Feathers in my sampler pack, but I'm not there yet.

+1... I've gone through the Merkur blade, the Dorco, the Derby (which was best so far), and I have a crystal in now, which is right behind the Derby as my favorite blade so far.

The feathers are still in the den, looking at me every morning with a grim smirk. It's like they're sayin... 'You're not ready for me', well, I'm going to give 'em a shot tomorrow morning, thanks to your post giving me enough encouragement to get there.

>DevilDogge, I'd say that if you could stand the Merkurs, you are a brave man indeed! They tore my skin into bloody pieces those meat mincers.
I'm sure you'll find that the Feathers are like a kiss on the cheek from your loved one in comparison.
Regards
cop

They ain't nothin' to be ascared of. I hadn't shaved with a DE for 20 yrs, when I loaded my Mergress, set on three, with one and had a great shave. No blood, no irritation, just a clean close comfortable shave. You shouldn't be reluctant to use them. They're just razor blades. Damn good ones.

Doc.

Just used them an hour ago with my first try with a Slant...beautiful shave, and no problems. I can see why this combo is so touted on this board, I only wish I'd tried it sooner.

>Wilpar, I recognize your point from others issues of life such as stereo sets, food, road bikes, fly fishing, fine whiskys, etc.
It's much easier and more fun to go to a higher level. Going the opposite way and use sub par equipment really sucks. You have tried the real good stuff (maybe the best), and now you recognize the flaws of the not-so-fine - even if you a while ago found exactly that to be a big step forward compared to where you once came from.

Regards
cop

While I acknowledge the quote as true, so is the converse. One can never know just how good the good is without having experienced the bad and, in fact, appreciation for the truly fine things can allow one to appreciate the less fine things in a different light.

For example, using the road bike analogy from above...I am a racing masters cyclist. I own many road bikes, and have owned many more. For me the two best bikes I currently ride are my carbon fibre current production Derosa and my 1992 Eddy Merckx (which itself is Eddy's re-production of his own 1968 Giro D'Italia bike, itself built by Ugo Derosa).

Without the modern bike, weighing all of 15lbs, and all of its perfection I would not have an appreciation for the limitations and characteristics of the all steel, cutting edge c.1968, technology. Without the bike I have ridden for 16 years, and the lesser ones I rode before it, I wouldnt appreciate just how good the modern one is.

If you jumped into a feather first (or any of today's $15k superbikes) you would have no appreciation for what exactly you have in comparison to say a Dorco. Its like the kid born with the silver spoon. Having been weaned on the best, stepping down can only leave a bad taste in one's mouth.

However, having worked through the ranks of the worst, bad, better and good, one can learn to discern the character of those ranks and can go back and appreciate them even after having shaved with a Feather.

Ok...so we are a little philosophical for a Monday...but that because I put in 60 miles on my Merckx yesterday.

Last edited:
You can never have too much philosphy on a monday...

As for the feathers I'm thinking i'll be ready in a few months...

I loaded one this morning, and gave it a whirl....

Amazing. The best shave as of yet, and if I missed a spot on my second pass, I could do a touch up with no irritation, unlike the other blades I've tried.

I understand about the Dorco Feather comparison now. I thought the Merkur blade was MUCH better than the Dorco, as the Dorco pulled, tugged, and cut my skin up pretty badly. I think I've found my two favorite blades... the Derbys, and the Feathers... now it'll have to go back and forth until I decide which one I like the best, but I think the Feather will win, some how.

>DevilDogge, it's nice to read that you enjoyed your experience. Yeah, they are great them Feathers.
But I'm a total noob too with this blade. Only had my second shave with it today. As good as the first shave but I don't get a total BBS with the Feather in at Tech - it's still the width of hair from being perfect.
Next time I'll load it into a SS, which is a little more aggressive than the Tech. I think that combo will work better for me. Otherwise the 38C comes down from the wall (whispered in a threatening German-accent World War II movie voice): "Dann haben wir andere Metoden...."
Regards
cop

Feathers gives me two great shaves. I usually get some irritation on the third shave with Feathers. Because of the longevity I mostly use Derbys and Red Personnas. I can get four smooth shaves with these blades.

Top Bottom