What's new

Where to find a styptic pencil at CVS or Rite Aid?

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking I should buy a styptic pencil in case I get a nick or cut. I was in a hurry this morning so I went to a CVS and, without looking for it myself, asked the store clerk where styptic pencils would be in. Of course she had no idea what I was talking about.

Are they usually with shaving supplies at the pharmacy or near the first-aid section?

Thanks for the input.

same section with all the razors and shaving stuff. usually on the bottom shelf. if you have a walmart close by, they can be had there for a dollar or so.

I was at a CVS last night. They had the styptic pencils on the second shelf up right above the Aqua Velva. They were a bit pricey, I thought, at $4.50 or so. They were the big, fat sidewalk chalk looking kind.

Alum blocks are available from many sources, Art of Shaving, Em's Place and others. Expect to spend about 9 or 10 bucks for a block that'll last a liftime or until you drop it a few times on a hard floor. You can use the block to stop bleeding, or as I do, to rub over your face post shave to close pores. I then rinse and go to a balm or aftershave.
Another benefit of the block is that it stings a little if you've been harsh on an area. In that sense it provides great feedback on your shave technique.

Jim

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking I should buy a styptic pencil in case I get a nick or cut. I was in a hurry this morning so I went to a CVS and, without looking for it myself, asked the store clerk where styptic pencils would be in.

+1, and Congrats on thinking ahead. Styptic pencils are one of those little details that a lot of shavers overlook in their quest to find the perfect set-up. IMHO, No shave den should be without one.

While you're in the process of setting up, get yourself one of those flip-around mirrors with 1x/3x magnification. They are incredibly useful, especially the magnified side if you like to shave without prescription lenses on.
Of course she had no idea what I was talking about.
Get used to that blank stare. You'll run into that a lot as you shop for wet-shaving supplies in brick-n-mortar stores.

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking I should buy a styptic pencil in case I get a nick or cut. I was in a hurry this morning so I went to a CVS and, without looking for it myself, asked the store clerk where styptic pencils would be in. Of course she had no idea what I was talking about.

Are they usually with shaving supplies at the pharmacy or near the first-aid section?

Thanks for the input.

Shaving section. If you travel, some outdoors stores sell styptic(NOT caustic) matches. Same stuff, only smaller sized and on a flushable paper match stick.

Alum blocks are available from many sources... You can use the block to stop bleeding, or as I do, to rub over your face post shave to close pores...Another benefit of the block is that it stings a little if you've been harsh on an area. In that sense it provides great feedback on your shave technique.

Jim

+1 on the Alum block.

I'll never go back to using a styptic pencil again.

David

Thanks for the help everyone; you guys are great. I found the styptic pencil (buried on the last shelf in the shaving section).

Guess how much I paid for a Clubman styptic pencil? $4.89. There's no Wal-Mart where I live, so I had to settle for CVS.

Thanks again for the help.
Bradley

Thanks for the help everyone; you guys are great. I found the styptic pencil (buried on the last shelf in the shaving section).

Guess how much I paid for a Clubman styptic pencil? $4.89. There's no Wal-Mart where I live, so I had to settle for CVS.

Thanks again for the help.
Bradley

You could have gotten an alum block in a plastic case from Westcoast shaving for $8! (and picked up a blade sampler and some shave soaps or creams while you were at it!)

Top Bottom