What's new

Shapton 30k

If you don't get any responses, send Slant-Fan a PM. I sold him a new one a while back. He has more hones than most stone quarries.

I use one on my straights. I like it a lot. I don't find it produces a "too sharp" edge. My results are always a smooth and keen edge (as long as I've done the proper work on lower grits).

For me this hone is better than my experience wih chrome oxide, which tends to remove some of the sharpness from an edge. That's a different thread though. :tongue_sm

Good hone but I'm not sure it's really necessary. I've had mine for about three now years I think, and rarely use it anymore.

Joel has one. A bunch of people on SRP have one too. For $250 though...its smacks of diminishing returns.

Totally agree about the diminishing returns. I've got a Shapton 16k and a paddle strop w/ ChromOx. Gives me incredible edges. Doubt I'll ever drop $250 just to find out if the 30k is worth it.

IMHO if you're tuned in enough to notice a difference, you're an experienced straight shaver and getting comfortable and close shaves regardless. It's not worth the $250.

A few hours of practice at honing will be worth far more to anyone than an expensive stone (which, icidentally, is useless unless you know how to use it right).

Top Bottom